About Me

▼

Saturday, October 10, 2026

A Back-to-Summer BOOMERANG



 To sum up this week in one word: Wowza! 

This week pretty much had it all. The weather felt like I’d gone back in time, and woke up in mid-June (no complaints!). The running felt incredible (and has me feeling good going into taper week). Finally, the freaky bruising has substantially faded from my unassuming eyes and face (check out last week’s WRD for more info). 

Before I get to the deets from this awesome weather week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here’s what went down amidst all the fab summer-like weather:

SUNday RUNday FUNday!
I was out the door and on the trail before 8:00. I had procrastinated this 8-miler since the previous weekend, and was feeling a tad bit anxious. The 52F temps and sunshine, though, set my mind at ease within the first mile, and this run was one of those that felt so perfect and nearly effortless! My splits were a bit erratic, but overall I ran this much faster than intended because everything felt so good. Kind of a bummer every long run isn’t like that, LOL! The beautiful weather stayed with us all day, and was still there on my 2-mile “recovery” walk in the late afternoon. 


Never miss a Monday
There was a tiny bit of fatigue upon wake-up, and chilly temps. I got out for a short pre-workday walk, and that gave me a substantial boost of energy. By late morning, though, the summer temps were back, and I couldn’t resist  taking my lunch walk outdoors! 


After work, I was quick to change into my running gear and pretend it was summer again. Seriously, this is my kind of fall and these are my kind of temps (check out those negative splits!). 


Tuesday - a full day on the go!
 With a busy day on tap, I made time for an early morning walk before hitting the shower. Then it was off to my hometown (40 miles down the road). I had bloodwork at 8:00, followed by my annual physical at 9:00. Next, I had a quick visit with both my sister and parents, then a club lunch meeting (I’m still a member, but don’t make it back very often due to my work schedule). After that, I had a long overdue hair appointment and dinner after that with the parents. I also snuck in a brief meet-up with one of my friends before leaving town. It was 8:35PM when I arrived back home, and I was  tired, LOL. 


Double Workout Wednesday
All went well for the weekly 4:45AM 3-mile group run, except I was feeling a bit fatigued (and that first mile was faster than usual, LOL). Otherwise, the temps were nice and the sky was oh-so-clear. As per usual, I stuck around and did two bonus miles after the others left.


After taking Max for his post-workday walk, I suited-up in my biking gear! It had been forever (late August?) since I’d been on an outdoor bike, and I was determined to take advantage of the weather. Silly me, though, not realizing how cold my arms would be, how thick the bugs would be or how dark the final couple miles would be. But, it felt great to be back on the trail…and, the sunset was everything (title pic).  


Triple-the-Fun Thursday 
It was a slight sleep-in kind of morning. I was awake early enough, but just couldn’t rise (or shine). I did eventually get on the elliptical for 3-ish miles (20 minutes), though, and remembered to use the weighted vest! I followed-up with a short upper-body session afterwards. I had to step outside, briefly with Max, and take in the breathtaking sunrise before hitting the shower and heading to the office.


It was another beautiful day! I was able to take my 2-mile lunch walk outside again. I could really get used to this!


Then there was the weekly group run in the evening. As per usual, I ran this at a faster pace than anticipated. I guess it’s good speed-training if nothing else. The splits were pretty consistent, with an ever-so-slight progression, so I’m totally good with everything. Pay no attention to the fact that I forgot to wear my lighted vest (#FacePalm).


Friday - Flexing and (football) Fun
It was another morning inside, this time due to rain.  I hit the bike (seven miles) and then a short upper-body session. By mid-morning, the rain was completely outta the picture. I took full advantage and enjoyed the sunshine for my lunchtime 2-miler.


After work, I took a quick walk with Max then met-up with Audra for dinner and several hours of Hawkeye football. This place was rocking with Iowa fans, and we all took turns high-5’ing every time the Hawks scored. And, after the previous week’s fiasco (against Ohio State), Iowa came away with a victory over the Washington Huskies.
 

Long Ride Saturday (amongst other things)
It was late night decision, but I decided to save my 10-mile run for Sunday and knock-out the Weekend 40K, via Garmin, instead. It was an early morning (I saddled-up just before 5:30) because I needed to be downtown by 8:00 for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s.

It was a great day to be outside. In addition to the 2-ish miles walked downtown, I also walked more in the afternoon (with Max) and also after dinner. The weather was simply perfect, so I hit the home improvement store and snagged a few end-of-season plants. I have been meaning to get some landscaping done (or, at the very least, started LOL), so this was the optimum day to do so. And, there were plenty of “garden squats” in the process. 

  


…and what’s on-deck for Sunday?
I’ve never been a “long run Sunday” runner, but it’s worked well in recent weeks, so I’m hoping that will be the case again. As this goes to press, I’m hoping to rise and shine (and run) in the o’dark hours and get that 10-mile run done before church (8:30 service). The forecast is looking like a repeat of Saturday, so there may even be a bonus outdoor bike ride in the afternoon. 

It’s probably no surprise this week’s weather was total bliss for this summer-loving gal. Every run felt great this week, and I’m giving due kudos to the weather. Running logged 18 miles (another reason to prolong that 10-miler another day, IMO). Walking was decent, with 16 miles…all of which were outside! And biking saw an improvement from last week, with 42 miles (some of which were, finally, back outside). Stength-training was minimal this week, with only a couple short sessions (#MyBad).     
   
In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. I was “back in black,” but added the berry-colored bottoms to brighten the look a bit. Monochromatic is a nice style, but sometimes I think it looks a bit predictable. Besides, I’m all about a little punch of color. What’s your preference?


As mentioned, this week’s weather was wonderful, and the weekend was especially amazing. Now this is my kind of fall season!


Finally, there were a few Garmin badges happening this week. While they’re not a necessary motivator, they are fun perks to ones fitness!


So that’s another week in the fitness books. This coming week is looking decent weather-wise as well, though not quite as warm. I’ll be in full-on taper mode as I await the IMT Des  Half Marathon next Sunday. This will be my 13th time running the 13.1, and it has a new course this year.

How was your week? Any fitness gains? Training for any upcoming events? Fall-like weather, or does it still feel like summer?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. Those effortless-feeling runs are the best, especially when you’re heading into taper. And you even managed to get back out on the bike, bugs, chilly arms and fading daylight included!
    You certainly made the most of the sunshine!
    Good luck with the Des Moines Half next Sunday, Kim! Your running sounds in a great place, so I hope the new course brings you a fantastic race. Thirteen half marathons there is quite a milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the return of summer! I'm enjoying the fall weather in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying Augtober! This weather is perfection. Glad you got lots of outdoor time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when summer returns in the fall! I'm never eager for winter to come so soon. We had some great weather this week but are due for some rain coming soon. Good luck with your race! I think you're ready

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you must have loved that warmer-than-usual October weather! We had a nice week, too, only not quite as warm - low 70s with low humidity is my jam!

    It's great to hear that your runs felt so easy. That's a good sign for your upcoming half!

    What a great idea to snag those hostas late in the season once they're marked down. Once again, though, if we lived closer I could divide some of mine to give to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy taper! Fingers crossed we both have beautiful weather on race day... although I'll go for the cold stuff and you can have that warmer weather you this this week! What a great week for you. It's been so long since I have ridden my bike I basically forgot how to shift it the last time I rode it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how lovely to get that summer weather back!! And how lovely to get that effortless run as well.
    We've had some nice weather lately, although more autumn-like than summer but nice nevertheless, with plenty of sun and pleasant temperatures. Hope your half marathon goes well next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you were in your absolute glory! This is absolutely your weather. Meanwhile, we're getting hurricane weather! It's rained every day since we got home. Usually, in Florida, we get a little afternoon shower, but this is all day every day. Over it. A cool front should come next weekend.

    I'm so glad your training is going well, and you're still getting in some great variety! I hope you can get a little rest today to ease the light fatigue you've been feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, that long run in 52 degrees!!! I'm so envious! We're still hot and humid here- you would like it, but I am OVER IT. I hope it cools down for your race- you wouldn't want to be racing in the 80s (well- maybe you wouldn't mind, but I think most people would like it a little cooler!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. College football has been so much more fun than NFL for us this season so far. I am loving the cooler temps right now . Looks like a great week

    ReplyDelete