Welcome to August!
I’m not quite sure how we are already a full week into August, but here we are. Thankfully, the summer heat is still with us (because we all know I’m in NO hurry for cool weather).
My best strategy is to appreciate the here and now instead of dwelling on the slowly dwindling daylight. Glass half full!
Before I delve into the deets from the week, welcome to the
Weekly Run Down!I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)
Anyways, here’s what went down for this first week of August:
Sunday - keeping things simple
The day started with a 3-mile walk. The sun was shining, the temps were warm (already), and the humidity was feeling heavy. It certainly still felt like summer! Max and I walked some in the afternoon, and then enjoyed some family time with his “big brother” (and big brother’s girlfriend).
Never miss a Monday!
After a 2-week reprieve (I blame the extreme weather), I resurrected the Monday run ritual. It had been awhile since I’ve done said run in the pre-work hours, so I revived that as well. Three miles later, and all was well. I also stacked a core workout and shoulder-focused strength session.
After work, and a short walk with Max, I hit the trail for 13 miles. The temps were nice, but the swirling bugs were not fun! I don’t think I swallowed any, but ewww!
A (somewhat) typical Tuesday
Nothing too exciting to report. I was short on time (oops, that bed felt too comfy), so there was just a short walk before work. All went well with the usual 2-mile lunch walk. Any hope of a post-workday outing was doused, literally, due to heavy rain.
A “what-day-is-it?” kind of Wednesday
With a wet forecast showing for the morning, the weekly group run was a no-go. Instead, I opted for five miles on the spin bike and some upper-body strength and core work.
A Thursday rain check from my Wednesday
Up, out the door, on the streets. All before most of my neighborhood was awake. Since Wednesday’s run didn’t happen, Thursday morning was the perfect “rain check” for some early morning miles. Four miles on the street, followed by a short core session, and I was ready for the day.
A low-impact fitness Friday
With a busy Saturday on the schedule, there was nothing too crazy on the agenda. I got out for a very humid pre-workday walk, and another walk over the lunch hour.
Double workout Saturday
The morning began with a 5-mile run on the trail. Yowza, the temps weren’t too hot, but the humidity left me a saturated mess by the time I made it back home.
Shortly thereafter, I had a quick cool-down, and clothing change. Then, it was off to the Raccoon River Valley Trail for 25 miles on the bike. The temps had warmed up a bit, but late-morning/early-afternoon weather was great for biking.
…and what’s on tap for Sunday?
The forecast is looking very similar to Saturday’s. The odds are ever great there will be more outdoor fitness happening… walking and/or biking. Stay tuned!
So, a decent week! Running saw 12 miles of action. Walking was respectable with 18 mils logged. Biking was a somewhat conservative 43 miles.
In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog this week:
In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair. I have long been a fan of Aztec prints. The various patterns are interesting and funky! As most know, I’m all about a touch of color, because why not?
Finally, Friday was my mom’s 89th birthday! We celebrated with a family dinner and (of course) the requisite cake afterwards.

That’s the latest! I hope you’re surviving the summer heat and making the best of the weather conditions. Are you eager for the weather to cool off? Or, are you trying to savor the summer season and the remaining “longer” daylight hours for the time being?
Good job getting back to your Monday morning "rise and run" routine. You were busy with RAGBRAI and then recovering from it so you had good reason to skip a couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteWe're in Park City, Utah for four days and they're experiencing a heat wave. Once we leave the temps will be a good 10° cooler than while we're here. But hey, at least the humidity is super low so I can't complain too much!
Happy belated birthday to your mom!
I'm glad someone is enjoying this heat, lol! I struggled this week with the humidity and all the rain. Hoping for a dry fall...
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to your mom! I’m glad you are enjoying this heat. I’m finding it so oppressive and depressing with the humidity and daily rain. Great job keeping busy and active this week
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to your mom!!! She looks great.
ReplyDeleteSince I live in Florida, I have no choice but to embrace the heat. It will be a few more months till we have any kind of a cooldown. I like the winters down here, but I'm not looking forward to the dark mornings. Sunlight is so much more cheerful!