About Me

Monday, September 7, 2026

NewBo 10K-ish Race Recap

 


It’s a wonderful thing when all goes well on race day.

What’s even better is when things go much better than anticipated

Case-in-point: The NewBo 10K-ish!

Although I’m no stranger to this event (I ran the half marathon back in 2018 and 2019), this was my first time tackling the 10K-ish distance. We had been pre-warned the 10K route would “run” a little long, and they weren’t exaggerating. As they say, fore-warned is fore-armed…  

Alas, I had a few concerns clouding my mind on race morning. First of all, I’d spent most of the day prior tailgating and watching a football game in sweltering heat (we’re talking temps in the mid-90F range, with a heat index well into the triple digits). Secondly, race morning was showing somewhat cooler temps, but the humidity was still higher-than-ideal. Thirdly, I had not thought to bring along my handheld water bottle. Finally, I’ve been having some recurring stiffness with my right hip (and vicinity). 

I had zero lofty goals on PR’ing, and I know how to run in the heat, but I also didn’t want to be a victim of a challenging race. So, what’s a gal to do? My solution was to run by feel, and not be a hero. 

Thankfully, we had a 7:30 race start, and cloud cover for much of the morning.   

The race course started downtown Cedar Rapids, on 3rd Street, near the NewBo Market and Chech Village. The first mile had me feeling alright. I noticed a lot of people passing me, right out of the gate, but I didn’t want to take any stupid chances on burning-out in that first mile (been there, done that).

It wasn’t very long before I spotted Forrest Gump, or perhaps his doppleganger, moving through the crowd of runners. Don’t worry, I resisted the urge to shout out, “Run, Forrest! Run!” as I passed him.

Forrest Gump spotting!

It wasn’t much further until we hit the first mile marker. By now, we were headed out of town, on Otis Road, making our way towards the Prarie Park Fishery (which is actually a very small lake). 

Although I’d run this part of the route before, I’d forgotten the nice downhill (along the Cedar River) that would encompass much of the second mile. I immediately made a mental note to remember this crucial detail, as I’d be running this portion of the route in the opposite direction on the way back, LOL.

Thankfully, they had water stations at both the 1-mile and 2-mile marks along the race course. I wasn’t feeling especially hot or dehydrated, but I also knew it wise to take advantage and grab a small cup of water regardless.


It was right around the 3-mile mark when the half marathoners veered left and the rest of us veered right. This portion of the route had us merging onto the Prairie Park Fishery Trail, which gave us a scenic loop around the mini lake.

Just after the half marathon & 10K-ish separation

This part of the race course was so tranquil! Having passed the “approximate” halfway point, I have to admit it was a relief to know my race was going well. Thus far, my hip was feeling fine and my splits had shown a sub-10 minute pace. I was secretly hoping, at that point, to continue that pattern and possibly finish within under an hour.

Coming around the lake, almost back to Otis Road

Coming out of the Fishery, I stopped for a quick few seconds and grabbed another small cup of water. Then, it was back on Otis Road for the return trip to downtown Cedar Rapids.

Approaching the hill, near the 5-mile mark

There weren’t any mile markers for us 10K-ish peeps, but there were markers for miles 11 and 12 of the half marathon. It was shortly after the 11-mile sign that we had that hill to climb. Although I had been dreading the climb, especially with it being toward the end of the race, it really didn’t feel that treacherous. Hmmm, that revelation kind of took me by surprise! 

Returning to that sweet downhill, but in the reverse direction

Not knowing just how much longer this 10K-ish distance would be made for an interesting situation. Upon passing the 12-mile mark, I simply decided my best plan of action was to just run and be glad the hill hadn’t been that tough after all, and to rejoice that it was behind me. 


    

The final jaunt, in that final mile (or so) really felt good. Mind you, I was feeling pretty sweaty and warm, but physically, all felt great. As I rounded the final corner, and saw the finish line arch up ahead, I was able to let my legs just run free. I heard the announcer call my name, and a few seconds later, I was across the timing mat with a medal in my hand.

As is typical, it felt quite euphoric to be done. My body felt great, with no hip issues or aches or pains. I didn’t finish under an hour, but I was really happy with my sub-10:00 pace. I’m calling that a win!

My splits show a progressively “slower” pace, but I rallied in that final half mile. Considering all the pics I took, I probably sacrificed a good 5-10 seconds each time I paused my running.  

Other than that final hill, the route didn’t feel too difficult, so that made for a somewhat easy run on a humid morning. 

Overall, I’m really happy with how the race played out for me. As I’ve said before, I’m grateful for my heat tolerance. After the warm week, and especially the football game the day prior, the 70F temps felt pretty nice, even with the humid conditions.


As far as swag, all participants received cotton t-shirts and finisher medals. The medals are unique, as they’re ceramic. I kind of wish the medals had the event year on them, but not a deal-breaker.



Have you ever run a race with an unspecified race distance, such as this 10K-ish one? Would you consider 70F temps too hot on race day?

I’m linking this with Jenny and Jenn for the TuesdayTopics Linkup

By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

14 comments:

  1. Well done, Kim! You made exactly the right call to run this one by feel rather than trying to be a hero, especially after being at a hot football game the day before!
    A sub-10 pace in those conditions, with the hip behaving itself, is a very solid result.
    Not knowing exactly how far you have left must make for an interesting final mile!
    And of course you managed to stop for photos along the way, it was such a beautiful course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wanted a few pics to document the experience:-) Thanks, Catrina! I was really happy with everything on race day!

      Delete
  2. Whoop!!! Selfishly I am glad that you took the pictures, because I enjoyed seeing Forest.

    The true goal of every race is having fun and not hurting yourself, and you smoked it.

    I've never run an "ish" race, but I've had plenty that were a little long and not knowing how much longer was always challenging. I've only had a few races that were less than the advertised course time. 70 degrees, especially in the humidity, would not have been a good scene for me.

    Booyah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The “push” factor actually made it interesting, LOL. I kind of had an idea it with be around the 6.5-mile distance, so it wasn’t a big deal.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure a lot of people would consider 70 and humid :"too hot." but I would be thrilled with that at this time of year, especially with cloud cover! It sounds like this race went great for you, and I'm very glad to hear the hip felt good! I like how they were even calling it a 10ish distance- at least they were honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I appreciate their honesty about the distance! Kind of a bummer the medal didn’t indicate that, LOL

      Delete
  4. How fun with Forrest Gump!! I'm glad you had a good race and that you had no problem with the hip (or anything else). The part of the route lined with greenery looks so pretty and calm.
    I think the ultra race my husband ran this past weekend should be called an ish race! The website says 58 km while the medal says 60 km. He logged 59 on Garmin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran a half marathon (in 2023), and everyone was commenting on the actual distance, which showed 13.3 and some did chsnge

      Delete
  5. Congrats. Sub 10min mile is a win, for sure. I do hate when races are long though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not a fan of the longer distance either, but I’m glad they warned us ahead of time.

      Delete
  6. Why oh why would the race distance be long? Isn’t this why we run races - because it’s a measured course (plus whatever distance we add by swerving around other runners and not running the tangents?). I think your approach was great - run by feel and see how it goes, especially in humid conditions. 73 is not bad but can feel bad really quickly when it’s humid! <10min pace is fabulous in these conditions. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it had to be a little long due to how the route was laid-out with the 10K turn-around. It wasn’t a big deal, as we were told about it upfront (on registration site).

      Delete
  7. Congrats, Kim, on a great race, especially considering that you were outside most of the very hot and humid day before the race. Running by feel is a great way to approach a race under such conditions. While I've run races that were longer than the specified distance, I've never run a race with an 'ish on the end. LOL

    ReplyDelete