Saturday, August 15, 2026

Sketchy Weather Aplenty



 The Sweltering Summer Continues…

Not only have the heat and humidity been in force,  but rain (heavy rain, nonetheless) joined their party this week. Another derecho swept through part of Iowa, and wreaked havoc on some other Midwestern states as well. 

Momma N, can you cut us a break? Please, and thank you!

Before I get to the nitty gritty deets of the week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Sunday - whoops, there it is
After a very pleasant Saturday evening, Sunday morning brought rain and thunder storms in the early hours, which gave way to the heat and humidity returning. I did get out for a late morning 2-mile walk, then a short 5-mile ride in the afternoon. It was better than nothing!


Never miss a Monday!
It felt oh-so-good to get out, in the wee hours, and knock-out a pre-workday 3-miler. Holy Yikes, though, it was mucho humid! How humid, you ask? It took me a good 20 minutes to cool off  after returning to my air-conditioned house.


After work, the weather conditions were simply insane (says the gal who loves her hot summers). Max and I made it a short ways down the street, then called it quits on anything else for the night. 


A not-so-typical Tuesday
My best intentions were to rise and shine, head out for a nice walk, and then do some strength work. Yeah, that didn’t happen. I wasn’t especially tired, but I just (embarrassingly) procrastinated in throwing the covers back. Also, it had been thundering and lightning, a couple hours prior,  and Max hadn’t let me fall back to sleep. So, I settled for a short upper-body session and called it good. I did get my daily 2-mile lunch walk done, so there was that. 


After work, it was still plenty hot, though not as miserable as it had been on Monday. In other words, it was a perfect setting for a bike ride. Ten miles of pedaling sufficed quite nicely. 


Wednesday - early morning miles for the win
Unlike Tuesday morning, there was zero procrastination in getting the day started. I met Hannah and Bill for the weekly 4:45AM group run. Oof, it may have ”only” been 76F, but the humidity was (again) sky-high. Bill peeled off after the first mile and Hannah called it good after we hit the 3-mile mark. I stuck around, though, and ran a couple bonus miles, just because. When I got back home,  Max eagerly walked me around the block (which was a nice cool-down). My tech fabric tank was still damp when I got home, later, after work. Yes, it was that humid!


Thankful Thursday…sort of 
Believe it or not, it was storming again upon wake-up! So, it was back to the basement…glutes, legs, shoulders, arms and core all saw some action. 

Thankfully, the crazy rain tapered off by late morning. There were only two of us who braved the weather for the group run, but we kept a decent pace considering how humid it was.


Friday - active recovery, courtesy of a rain-out
Yet again, I awoke to rain. I was hoping for an outdoor walk, but settled for an indoor core workout, plus some stretching. My daily 2-mile lunch walk went off without a hitch. After work, despite a light shower happening, I did finally get out for a short walk (with the umbrella), to keep the #OptOutside streak alive.


Saturday - back to the trail
Despite the forecast, the morning did not have any rain happening. I got out for a 2-mile walk, then it was off to the High Trestle Trail for 25 miles on the bike. No wind, though it would have felt refreshing. There was plenty of humidity, though, to do battle with. At least it wasn’t snowing, right?


 …and what’s on deck for Sunday?
The temps are looking similar, with the requisite humidity. I’m hoping to get out for a short run before church, then maybe some afternoon walking or cycling. We shall see.

Overall, it was a decent week, even with all the humidity and rain. We do what we can, right?
Running logged 11 miles. Walking had 14 miles. Biking had 41 total miles in the saddle. 

In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. Do you like throwing together unexpected color combinations? Well, it’s probably no surprise I do. Having a matching pair of funky sandals just adds to the fun.

 

So, that’s a wrap on the wet and mucky week. Onward!

How did things fare for you…excess rain and humidity as well? Any upcoming races on the roster? 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

16 comments:

  1. Sometimes you have to procrastinate in throwing the covers back! Well done on all those other early mornings, especially on Wednesday - running those two extra miles alone requires some dedication.
    All in all another great week, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catrina! My early morning dedication could be mistaken for insanity, LOL!

      Delete
  2. Nice job this week, despite all the rain and icky weather! I'm impressed with your Opt Outside streak - still gong strong! Hopefully you get some better conditions this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the extended forecast is looking somewhat dry…fingers crossed that holds!

      Delete
  3. We had the same ridiculous weather as you--nice job pushing through it! I'll be glad when it dries out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping for less humidity, or at least drier con6ditions.

      Delete
  4. There's nothing wrong with pulling the covers back up a little tighter and snoozing a little longer every once in a while. You're so dedicated to your workouts that a break here and there is no big deal and probably just what you needed. Shame on Max for keeping you awake, though!

    Did you realize that your Friday color combination is Miami Dolphins colors?

    Looking forward to catching up on Thursday if that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t think of the Dolphins, LOL! Yes, looking forward to Thursday!!!!!

      Delete
  5. We have had all of those weather challenges the last few weeks. It is getting old! Sleeping in a little is good thingI’m sure your body appreciated it. Hope we all have some better weather this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah ;-) The “late” sleeping is not my norm, but I’m giving myself grace and not feeling guilty.

      Delete
  6. Wow, the weather! You get a bit of everything but yes, at least it isn't snowing! Sleeping in can be a good thing and at least you got some strength work done. Here it's all about very high humidity and it feels tropical at times. Good work fitting all your workouts in between the weather events! I hope it settles down for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, we have plenty of heat- but we've had hardly any rain (and this is our rainy season!) My sister had the same crazy weather as you, but they had tornadoes touch down hear them, and also lost their power for several days (for the second time in two weeks). This has been a crazy summer! But as you said- we do what we can. You did a nice job getting out there when you could. I hope your weather calms down this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a lot of downed branches and standing water alongside the trail yesterday.

      Delete
  8. Yes indeed, humidity has been the bane of my existence this week! I can't even :( Was that the biking tank top from this year (RAGBRAI)? Those colors pop! I love it. I need a few more sleeveless cycling shirts. I like the protection they give (no bugs down the shirt like tank tops!). Great workouts this week for you despite the wetness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jersey is from last year. I didn’t get the 2026 one because I already have too many, and I got one from my place of work this year anyways. I think my bike jersey count is around 15 now, LOL!

      Delete