Saturday, August 22, 2026

Stepping Out



These feet were made for walking, and that’s just what they did!

Suffice it to say there were a lot of steps logged this week, and I don’t mean on the stairway. I know this is all good for me, but Holy Yowza, I was feeling fatigued on a few mornings. 

Any regrets? Absolutely ZERO!

Before I get to the nitty gritty deets, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here’s what went down in my little world of fitness and fun this week:

Easy like Sunday morning…
Since there hadn’t been a Saturday run, it happened on Sunday instead. Four somewhat easy-paced miles, along the Chichaqua Valley Trail, made for a great start to the day. 


Never miss a Monday!
With a busy evening on the roster (see below), the pre-workday hours were when the run had to happen. Check out that sunrise! I’m so glad I didn’t take a pass on these two early morning miles! I got my 2-mile lunch walk done, then it was off to the Iowa State Fair after work. 

It’s always a joy seeing Max waiting for my return

Tuesday - a “fair” amount of walking 
The morning began with a 2-mile walk and a short upper-body session. Then, it was back to the fair for a full day (and evening) of walking, people watching, food-on-a-stick, and another rock concert (yes, a second night with Hairball). 


Wowza Wednesday, I was wiped-out!
After two late nights of rock music, and a long day of almost nonstop walking, I was dragging when morning came. I got out for a 1-mile wake-me-up- walk before heading to the office, and that worked some magic on me. 

I did my usual 2-mile lunch walk, and that got me through the afternoon (with a little help from some caffeine). After work, Max took me around the block, then I logged a couple of miles in the running shoes (the temps weren’t bad, but the humidity was crazy). Believe it or not, I slept rather soundly that night. 


A Thankful Thursday reunion!
After several weeks, Deb and I reunited for our weekly cardio hour. Ironically, I had better outdoor conditions, and she was stuck inside on the treadmill. Four miles of walking for me, ending with a fabulous sunrise!

After we parted ways, I snuck in some hip mobility work and a short upper-body burner. Max acted as my coach, LOL. 

My hip region has been feeling funky this week, so I took a pass on the Thursday evening group run. Instead, I opted for 10 miles on the bike. Although I was still feeling tired, I could not resist taking advantage of the weather. Sumner is far too short! I can save my post-workday napping for the winter. 

Side note: you know the corn is tall when the tall girl has to jump to gain a little height on it. 


Friday - another much-awaited-for reunion!
With a long bike ride on the evening roster, I kept the morning fitness low-key. Taking Max for a walk around the block is hardly a cardio-rich workout, but he enjoys checking-out all the smells along the way and I love the fresh air. Later, I was able to knock-out the daily 2-mile lunchtime walk through the DSM Skywalk. 


After work, though, was when the action happened! Remember my dear friend, Barb? Her and I met-up for a fabulous (almost) 30-mile ride. It was so great catching-up and hitting the trails together!


Long(ish) Run Saturday
After another sleep-in, I finally hit the streets around 9:00, almost 3-4 hours later than usual (depending on the day). Ugh. I don’t think I was still fatigued from the week’s activities, but this run really felt like a slog fest. Seriously, I think if I get too much sleep, I’m left feeling more tired instead of refreshed or revitalized, LOL. I had to laugh at the accidental pyramid-paced splits, and I was surprised with the sub-10 average pace. Oh well, I’m grateful that I can pull off a late morning run, in summer temps nonetheless, with a bit a finesse despite the sleep “coma” that came with me.


…and what does Sunday have in store for me?
The forecast is looking warm and sunny, but not excessively humid. I’m planning on a pre-church walk, or maybe a bike ride. There’s probably going to be more walking in the afternoon and evening, as well, because I refuse to stay inside with this optimal summer weather.

To summarize, it was a busy week in the late summer heat. Running saw 13 miles. Biking had 40 miles, most of which were from Friday night’s ride with Barb. As far as walking, I’m gonna guess it was around 30 miles, and that’s a pretty conservative number. A lot of the Monday and Tuesday steps, via the Garmin, were courtesy of the fair, and a LOT of that action was from moving and grooving to Hairball both nights. All I can say is I don’t go to a rock concert to sit (or even stand) still.  

In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. I recently heard that the light blue and chocolate brown color combo is trending for Fall ‘26. I think I’ve been ahead of that “trend” for a few years, as I’ve mixed this brown cardi with various shades of blue for a long time, LOL. But no one asked me for my input….  


This Facebook memory popped up this week. Ironically, I had the exact same idea a year ago. It must have been another really hot and humid day, back in August of 2025.

Finally, the Iowa State Fair has been going since August 13th (ending on Sunday, the 23rd). I usually make it there for an evening concert (or two), but it’s been a while since I’ve done a day at the fair, as I’m usually working. We went Monday night to see my favorite tribute band, Hairball (and got to meet the lead guitarist!). Then, we headed back for most of Tuesday and another Hairball performance that evening. Garmin gave me credit for a LOT of steps, and I slept like a zombie Tuesday evening.


So, that’s a wrap on this high-stepping week. Overall, I think I had a good mix of fitness, though the strength-training was at the bare minimum due, in part, to my busyness. Truthfully, I’m alright with that. 

That’s my week in review, how was yours? Is it still hot? Humid? Ever been to a state fair? Ever heard of Hairball? Check out their site HERE!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very busy week, Kim! I’m not surprised you were feeling a little tired with all those miles, fair walking, concerts, and late nights. But I love that you still managed to squeeze in the running and biking where you could! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Kim you fit in some great workouts and some really fun social time! It sounds like it was overall a really good week for you! And I really enjoyed getting back into our virtual Thursday morning cardio routine again after my roadtrip!

    I love chocolate brown and blue together. In fact, I decorated one of our guest bedrooms in those colors and love it!

    Have a great week, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to see you enjoying yourself and having so much late summer fun! All that with lots of walking. I've been doing a lot of walking this week as running was not an option for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great week of summer fun and fitness. Being outside is always a plus

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I’m away or injured, I really miss my morning walks with Scooby — the gentle movement and fresh air are a great way to ease into the day!

    Looks like you had a lot of fun this week. I haven’t been to a fair since our kids were young. They do have them around here, but nothing the size of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't think I've ever been to a state fair, and I've never heard of Hairball! I like the name though. Because I'm old and boring, I would be really wiped out if I did something like that on a weeknight! It sounds like you had a blast, and are soaking up every single second of the late summer. Enjoy! And remember- you still get to have a lovely fall before anything really had happens, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like such a fun week, mixing in the rock concerts with running, walking, cycling and more. The sunrise in your first image looks amazing. I think I need to try to get up earlier to see some sunrises... but I'll wait until it happens slightly later. I'm not really a getting-up-at-5-am-for-fun kind of person.
    Nice for you to get together with Debbie again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun and busy week! I do love a good fair. We have some county ones, but we aren't close to a state fair (which I assume is in tallahassee, but who knows).

    It's still swampy as all get out here. Every day feels hotter than the last. I am so ready for soup season.

    And LOL - my manicure inspiration this week was baby blue and espresso! I think it's an awesome color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a busy and fun week! I don't think I have ever been to a county or state fair, but I may need to check one out soon - I know Ohio has a big one! We had warmer weather but it cooled down after some big storms on Fri/Sat. I had a few beautiful sunrises - yours is gorgeous! - but know those are going away soon since I'll be getting out to run earlier and sun will rise earlier too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the end of summer fun at the fair! How extra fun that you got to see your fav band twice too. Our local fair will be coming up, so that's our Labor Day weekend activity.
    The weather here is actually getting quite nice right now. I'm no longer sticky and miserable!!
    Biking is a great way to catch up with friends. Good to see Barb on the blog again!

    ReplyDelete