Monday, July 16, 2018

Midnight Madness 15K Recap


I had a thirst for redemption...

Have you ever run (or attempted to run) a race that turned out to be (quite literally and figuratively) a hot mess? 

Enter the Midnight Madness Road Races. I first tackled this event back in 2016 (recap HERE). What happened to me in 2016 was every runner's nightmare...horribly hot and humid weather, an uncooperative body, and nonstop pain and frustration that ended with my first-ever (and only) DNF. Last summer was a non-issue (#sidelined from surgery), so this year was my first shot at redemption from the disaster of two years ago.

Affiliated with the Iowa Games (more info HERE), the Midnight Madness Road Races feature a children's 1-mile, a 5K, a 10K and a 15K (for those who elect to do both the 5K and 10K). The children's 1-mile starts at 7:00 p.m. The 5K starts at 7:30 p.m. and the 10K follows at 8:30 p.m. The 5K and 10K utilize the same 3.1-mile (looped) route, so essentially the runners have the option to run the same loop one, two or three times.

Anyways, these races all take place in the city of Ames (about an hour drive from my town, Grinnell). Barb met us at our house and we pulled out just after 5:30 to allow for drive time and parking. We also had to get our packets and have a little time to stretch and warm-up.
Ames is the home of the Iowa State Cyclones, so there are painted statues of their mascot, Cy, all over town
We arrived in Ames around 6:45, got our packets, and met up with Chuck (another friend who frequently runs races with us). 
Barb, Chuck, and myself...ready to run!
The temps were quite similar to those of 2016...hot and humid. Thankfully, there was a bit of breeze, but it wasn't very strong. I could already feel sweat running down my back! We made our way to the start line and tried to find spots of shade as we waited for the race to begin.
lining up at the start line...it was so hot in the sunshine
Both the 5K and 10K draw a lot of participants, for various reasons. The 5K attracts a lot of families, so we knew to make our way towards the front of the herd (to avoid the numerous kids and strollers). There are also a lot of area high school track and cross country athletes there, vying for top honors at the finish line.

We heard the gun sound, and we were off and running. I didn't really have a targeted finish time, but I was hoping to run the 5K strong and steady. I knew I had to conserve a bit of energy to carry me through the 10K later, so I tried to simply run by feel and not push my pace (much).

The race starts in downtown Ames, but veers north into a nearby residential area after the first few city blocks. The first mile is a small loop with a couple of gentle rolling hills, and it ends right near the (eventual) finish line. The route then continues south, towards another residential neighborhood, with a couple more rolling hills (which are a bit more challenging than those in the first mile).

The hubby (who elected not to run) was situated on the patio of a restaurant near the 1.5-mile mark, and he was insistent on cheering for not just us, but also for a lot of the other runners as well. Isn't it always nice to hear someone call out your name during a race, though?

After winding and twisting through the neighborhood, there's a final hill (a good-sized hill, none the less) that ends a couple of blocks before the finish line (also right near the hubby's observation spot LOL). There's a right turn, a short bridge to cross, and the finish line is just up ahead.

Although the air was especially hot and humid, I felt pretty strong throughout the race. I grabbed water at each of the (3) water stands and felt like I kept my pace steady. My 5K finish time showed 28:26, more than two minutes slower than a "typical" 5K for me, but I was completely happy with it. My splits were spot-on (8:52/8:59/8:57); no complaints.
yes, I was a hot mess after the 5K, and no...there was no "light rain" happening
I found Barb right away, and Chuck found us a few minutes later. We grabbed some water and thought about waiting in line for popsicles...but the line was long and the popsicles were a melted mess in the heat. I looked for the hubby ...but didn't see him anywhere. I had given him my Honey Stinger chews and I wanted to hand off my sunglasses...but no such luck.

We made our way to the next start line, but had plenty of time before the 8:30 start. The 10K attracts a good crowd of elite runners, and it pays out well. A lot of 5K racers were done, and there were many of "new" fresh-looking runners lining up (who obviously had not just run 3.1 sweaty miles).

By the time the 10K started, the sun was low enough in the sky that the temps felt a little cooler (mind you, it still was humid as Hades, though). With the 5K behind me, I had to be purposeful in how I ran the 10K. The air was still muggy, I knew there were a few rolling hills waiting for me, and I had to run the same route again (two more times).

Before long, the gun (again) sounded, and we were on our way. The crowd of runners in the 10K was faster than what we'd seen in the 5K, which wasn't really a surprise given the pending cash pay-outs for the top finishers. I couldn't help wondering how many of the "faster" runners would be slowing down in the final miles, though, as a result of the continued heat and humidity.

About halfway through the first mile, I noticed a gal who was running just ahead of me. I didn't know it right then, but her and I would be leap-frogging for the the first four miles or so. My right glute/hamstring was feeling a little tight and achy, but nothing debilitating...just enough to make me aware of it. In a twisted sort of way, I was a bit relieved it was so hot because that gave me an excuse to NOT try to run too fast or furiously.

By the time I made it to the first water stand (near the 1-mile mark), my sunglasses were driving me nuts. It wasn't dark yet, but it was just dark enough that I no longer needed them. Luckily, as I turned the corner and approached the restaurant where my husband had been, I spotted him. I ran over and handed over the sunglasses, and WHEW! All better! Isn't it crazy how something as little as sunglasses (when they're no longer needed) can feel like a total burden?

As mentioned, there was that gal. She'd get a little ways ahead of me, then either she'd slow down (or I'd inadvertently speed up). I'd pass her on a hill, and she'd come flying down the other side. Then, we'd be side by side for awhile.

I made my way up the "big" hill, right before the 3-mile mark, and felt a wave of relief in knowing I was almost half way done. Then I remembered that I'd already run this route twice...and still had to run it one more time. I spotted the hubby as I approached the halfway point, and he gave me an encouraging cheer.

I think it was somewhere in that fourth mile that I lost sight of the other gal. I'd managed to pass her near the 3-mile mark and didn't remember seeing her after that. I kept on going, trying to ignore how sweaty I was feeling or how thirsty my mouth was. There were several spectators along the route with garden hoses and sprinklers...and most of the runners (myself included) took full advantage of the water relief they were offering.

It wasn't until the fifth mile that I noticed it was getting dark. There was still plenty of daylight, but it was getting more difficult to see everything in full detail. Finally, I made it to that last hill...I turned the final corner, ran over the small bridge (heard one last "C'mon, sprint it in! You're almost there!" from the hubby) and out of nowhere, there was that gal (again). She bolted ahead of me and that motivated me to push it to the finish line. I wasn't able to catch her, but she did give me a last-minute dose of mojo to finish strong.

Oh, did it feel good to finish! I grabbed some water, and spotted Barb and Chuck. They were just a short ways ahead of me and had just finished as well. I had never felt so wet or sweaty. Ever. My eyes were burning from the perspiration running down my face. My shirt and shorts felt like I'd just sat in a vat of water. Even my compression sleeves had sweat marks.

As I was drinking my water and stretching, I spotted "the gal" nearby. I walked over to her and she smiled at me. She congratulated me for running so strong, and I laughed (after all, she did finish ahead of me). I told her that she just kind of came from out of nowhere at the finish, and I congratulated her as well. It turns out, she was just a short ways behind me in the final miles, so we essentially ran most of the race together.

We chatted for awhile, and talked about area races we'd run. This was her first time running the Midnight Madness, and had only run the 10K that night (but had done a 10-mile training run that morning). We exchanged Instagram names before we parted ways. It's always fun meeting runners at races such as these. Even though her and I had kind of leap-frogged back and forth, I never thought of her as a competitor. Runner friends are the best, am I right?

Anyways, my 10K finish time came in at 59:06. It definitely wasn't a PR, but it certainly did not have the ideal race conditions for a PR to even be a possibility. No big deal. This race was all about making it to the finish line, and redeeming myself from that DNF two years prior.

A short while later, I found out I not only placed 5th in my age group for the 5K (83rd of 356 females; 411th of 892 total 5K racers), but I snagged a third place age group award for the 10K (54th of 98 females; 173rd of 267 10K racers)! Redemption, indeed!
Redemption? Mission accomplished.

I found the hubby, and (sarcastically) thanked him for getting my fuel to me in between races. He told me I ran better without it (LOL). No harm, no foul. We'll just go with that and count our blessings.

Evening races are tough, and this event is no exception. There not only is the challenge of proper fueling, but also hydration (especially in the extreme heat). For those who elect to run both the 5K and 10K, there is the aspect of strategy..."race" one race and "run" the other? Or "race" them both? This event also has the nuance of repeating the same route, potentially three times. There's also the temptation to quit if you're struggling (since you run right by the finish line at the halfway point of the 10K). 
no "finisher" medals for this, but the top age group finishers are rewarded nicely
All in all, this event is a lot of fun! Although there are some challenges in an evening race that you wouldn't otherwise face in a morning/daytime race, I like those extra challenges. It would be interesting to see how my finish time would differ if these races were held 12 hours earlier in the day. Or on a flatter course. Or on a continuous, larger route so there would not be any "looping." Or even during a cooler time of the year. Things that make you go, "hmmm..."

None the less, there's a great post-run party with great food, drink, and a live band performing.
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling
The hubby and Chuck
Apparently, the empty-cup pyramid is a long-standing tradition
 So, that's a wrap on this unique Iowa event. I can see myself going back and doing this event again, After all, I not only have a bronze AG honor to defend, but also it might be fun to try to go for the silver...or gold. Care to join me in 2019?

Have you ever done a similar event that had back-to-back events, one right after the other? Ever done any evening racing? If it were you, would you have done the 5K, the 10K, or both?

**I'm linking up with Marcia and Patty and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run.

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Rachel and Marc and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner
Running Coaches Corner Logo




42 comments:

  1. Way to go Kim!! Sounds like a tough (and fun) race with the warm weather, but you killed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The conditions were challenging, but sometimes those are what motivate the mojo ;-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats Kim! Sounds like a fun event. I don't think I could run at midnight. My bedtime is so much earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, by midnight, I was almost back home LOL We finished the 10K around 9:30 p.m. and hung around in our extremely sweaty garb for a couple hours ;-)

      Delete
  3. I probably wouldn't do both. Evening races are definitely tough! But with a group of friends . . . who knows?

    Great job, Kim! You can't expect the same paces in those conditions so an AG placing is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew my finish times would reflect the conditions and time of day (night)...still a fun adventure, though, testing one's stamina!

      Delete
  4. Pace is relative and I think you did great especially in the evening and with TWO races. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Good for you. Redemption always feels so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great form of redemption!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so after all that you earned 3rd place! Congrats! Was that other lady in your age group as well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sounds like a fun event! I like that they had so many different distance options and it's a night time race. And congrats on that age group finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of options...some go all-out for a fast 5K finish, others focus only on the 10K. And, some do both races LOL

      Delete
  9. Congrats on placing for the 10k. And that 5k place isn't too shabby either. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go!
    I love Cy, he's so cute. Hopefully he's nor your rival or anything.
    There's one local race that allows you to make a 15K out of the 5/10Ks and I hope to do that next spring. For some reason they don't do it for the fall race on the same course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Cy is my alma mater's inner state rival LOL The hubby and I went to the U of Iowa, but our oldest daughter went to ISU.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic job! Night time runs are hard too. Hope that gives you a little boost for this weekend. See you soon

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to run strong Kim! Congrats on snagging an AG place too. This sounds like day one of the Flying Pig except the 10k goes first followed by the 5k then half and full the following day. Multi-race challenges are fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flying Pig has been on my radar forever...but since it's in the spring, I have never been able to swing it with all of my spring commitments. That may change in 2019 since all the ducklings are outta the nest ;-)

      Delete
  13. Congrats on a strong race! Those are impressive times especially for it being so hot and humid out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The challenge of the heat/humidity/hills motivates me ;-)

      Delete
  14. Congrats on the race and the AG placement! What a great redemption run! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! I've only run one evening race, which started at 6 or 6:30 (in fall, though, so it was pretty dark by the end of the 10K). 8:30 would be pushing it for me! Did you fall asleep as soon as you got home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I had to take a quick shower when we finally got home (around 12:30 a.m.)...but I fell asleep pretty quickly after that ;-)

      Delete
  16. I’ve done a couple evening races and I find them challenging. I’m such a morning runner! Congratulations on both of your finishes! I remember back when I ran a 5 and 10 back to back I was told to just go for it and not hold back in the first race. That worked well for me but I don’t know if it was knowledgeable advice or just someone’s opinion. 😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I would imagine that advice, though well-intentioned, would not necessarily work for everyone

      Delete
  17. Talk about sweet sweet redemption - so proud of you!
    I really like the idea for this race as it's rare to find evening races. I've only done one (RnRVegas) and while I did find it challenging to fuel properly, there's just something fun about a night time race!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Evening races are definitely rough but way to come back strong, girl! That's a great redemption story and so motivating! I can feel you on hot and humid but you pushed through and that's awesome. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was great to go back and get some closure on that 2016 experience ;-)

      Delete
  19. Way to redeem yourself! I love finding a stranger to "run with".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "stranger" turned out to be a really nice fellow runner ;-)

      Delete
  20. Congrats! This sounds like a really fun event. I'm not much of a night runner so I'm not sure how my body would react. Lol.

    "Isn't it crazy how something as little as sunglasses (when they're no longer needed) can feel like a total burden?" AND YES!!!!! Sometimes the silliest things bother me when I'm running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...the sunglasses were driving me crazy because it was too dark for them, and I was feeling claustrophobic with them LOL

      Delete
  21. Awesome job! Glad you got to redeem yourself! The heat can be horrible! I’m amazed at runners who can do back to back races - maybe I’ll get there one day! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back to back races are a unique dynamic...not everyone will enjoy them as much as others

      Delete