Sunday, November 8, 2015

Keeping it Real




I believe in keeping it real, and (almost) full disclosure.

In doing so, I am not going to be a poser. Sure, we all love sunshine, butterflies (though I actually prefer dragonflies), and happy thoughts. But this blog post is going to be about struggle, and ultimately perseverance.

Barb and myself, on the bus, getting shuttled to the start line
My race on Saturday, the Hillbilly Hike, had all the makings of a "perfect race." The weather was beautiful, actually about as close to "perfect" as it can get in Iowa in early November, unlike last year when it was very windy and cold (you can read about that experience HERE).Temps were in the mid-high 30's at start time, and it was in the 50's when we finished.
Start line selfie..."stars" in my eyes???
The course was near "perfect" as well. Running 13.1 miles on a resurrected railroad path pretty much ensures a pretty flat running experience. 

My usual hamstring/glute stiffness was minimal, and gone within the first mile or so. I ran the first mile in 8:20 (which is borderline dangerous for me when there are 12.1 miles remaining), but I was able slow it down and kept a near "perfect" 9-minute pace for the next several miles. I had forgotten my GPS watch,but I did have my basic stop watch with me. It doesn't give me any GPS or current pacing information, but I know enough math to calculate my pace at the mile marks based on the elapsed time. That's what I have done forever, before the GPS watches were deemed "necessary." (Yes, I"m #oldschool).

All (indeed) seemed "perfect."

pic from Panfoto
Then, around mile 8, I noticed things changing. That 9-minute pace was beginning to feel not-so-easy anymore. I made it to the 9-mile mark, and my watch showed 1:22...so my pace had plummeted (it should have been around 1:21). I was really hoping for a sub-2-hour finish. If I could rally, and get my 9-minute pace back, I'd still be able to finish around 1:58. 

Well, that was my new "perfect" plan of action. I walked for a few seconds and finished off the last of my Tailwind (a powder that is mixed with water for fuel). 

Usually, a quick 5-10 seconds of walking recharges my mojo, and (usually) I can easily make up the "lost" time with renewed energy. Key word: usually. Not even 1/4 of the way into mile 10, I could tell the 9-minute pace was done for the day. 

 Now, I am not a fast runner, but it's really hard (and actually more exhausting, believe it or not) to run "slower" than what feels natural. I usually just run based on how I feel, but all of a sudden, my body just felt so tired .A couple of short walk intervals, and I made it to the 10-mile mark, 1:34 on my watch. If this was a brand new race (on a brand new day), I could do the remaining 5K in 26 minutes (or less)....but that new-day-strategy wasn't an option. And (#reality), the sub-2 hour would not be happening. 

I was disappointed with my situation, but even greater was the frustration with the sudden exhaustion that had just blindsided me. My legs were burning with the increased work of keeping my body in motion. My mantra (from mile 8) had been SAGF (Sustain And Go Forward), but that was progressively getting more difficult. I have never DNF'd  (Did Not Finish) a race, but for the first time ever, the fear of doing so crossed my mind.

I had noticed a guy and a gal doing run/walk intervals, I had chatted with the guy briefly at the start line. I remember him saying his goal time was 1:40ish...so he wasn't making his goal either, and instead was supporting and encouraging the gal. We had been leap-frogging for a couple miles, about the same time I had started noticing things going south with my pace and energy level. About halfway through the 10th mile, I caught up with them, and asked if I could join their party. There is strength in numbers, and I could tell they were struggling as well. Also, I knew I'd need some outside source of motivation to get me to the finish line because the temptation to walk was overwhelming.

We laughed about the situation, and commiserated on the fact that no matter the "perfect" race day circumstances, some times it's just not your day. Reality bites. We talked about other races each of us had done (he'd also run Grandma's Marathon, but a couple years prior). He shared a story of a fellow runner who had made it to mile 24, and wasn't happy with his projected finish time...so he pulled out and DNF'd because he didn't want his less-than-desired finish time published. Wow. How's that for perspective! I'd rather finish a race, even if it meant crawling across the finish line, than just giving up. All of us were in agreement on that notion.

We made it to the final mile, and (slowly and painfully) were able to run the majority of it. I have never, ever, been so happy to see a finish line. And I have never been more proud of myself for gritting it out and finishing what I had started.

Keeping it real. The numbers don't lie.
My finish time was 2:08:31, definitely one of my slower half marathons, and definitely one of the most challenging....both mentally and physically. The final 5K took me about 35 minutes, which is a good eight minutes slower than my slowest time for that distance as well. Let me emphasize there is nothing wrong, bad, or embarrassing about these finish times, whether it's myself or someone else achieving them.  Even though I know I am capable of a different outcome, I also know I did the absolute best I could muster to finish the Hillbilly Hike on Saturday. Our finish times are personal, as are our abilities and our goals. And that's the way it should be. What a boring world it would be if all of us were equally matched.

A highlight was seeing  my gal, Kris! She's the owner of the We Run store, and has been a savior to me!
Another nice piece of hardware for my efforts

So, what went wrong? I've never hit the proverbial "Wall" with such force before. I have a lot of thoughts on that matter, the first one being my fueling strategy. I still have a lot of tweaking to figure out. The Tailwind seems to work, but I don't like the fact that it's adding so much extra water to my running. I never drink that much water, in training or at a race, and my bladder is forced to work overtime. Not fun. I think I need more solid food in my body. My 5:45AM serving of oatmeal was probably long-since digested and gone by the time the race began (8:30AM). Maybe I need to carry a granola bar or Honey Stinger waffle with me? Ugh...I hate trying to eat while on the run (literally). Gels and chews/blocks are not an option either (hello? GI torture, anyone?) Again, I had the PlowOn gum (for energy), but I think the carb crash was so overwhelming, not even a second piece of gum would have helped replenish the lost energy. I love the gum, and I plan to keep using it, but it doesn't give me any calories.

The good news? I did finish the race, and vertical at that! Once again, I was reminded how lucky I am to have my endurance to carry me through, especially when (most) hope seems lost.  I am doing the responsible thing and taking a bit of an off-season recovery period. No, I'm not putting the running shoes in storage, but there are no long distance events on the calendar for a few months. I still plan to be running a few times each week, and doing some fun "short distance" events (with an occasional long run now and then). I also plan to refocus my fitness priorities, and shift more towards flexibility (yoga) and strength (P90X) while I lighten the cardio obligations. Heck, most professional athletes take an off-season ...why should non-professionals be any different?

Have you ever hit The Wall during a race? Have you ever struggled with finding the "right" fuel for you? Do you take an off-season?





21 comments:

  1. Definitely sounds like a fueling issue to me! I've had that "wall" happen on my semi-long runs when I don't eat breakfast. All of a sudden, I'm at one hour running and it's like someone tied cement shoes on my feet! I agree with you about the Tailwind. When it's cooler out, we don't need to drink as much. I'm a little worried about how that will work for me on those winter long runs. I may end up going back to gels. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Tailwind was gonna be the perfect answer for me...it's worked, but I can't help wonder if there's something else out there that may a better fit (?). I'm leery of gels...they worked great for me up until this past year. I feel fine using gels while running, but the 6-8 hours post-race are nasty (and I will just leave it at that LOL). Yes, we'll see ;-)

      Delete
  2. You say you're not a fast runner but sub 2 half sounds fast to me.

    And yes, I have. I use a gel every 4 miles now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always used gels, but this past year they no longer agree with my tummy. I don't know if the formulas have changed, or if I have. I used to take a gel every 5-6 miles, and life was so much easier LOL Thankfully, I have several months to experiment with some other fueling options, so 'm not too worried about finding something ;-)

      Delete
  3. First off, congrats on your race! Every finish should be celebrated :)

    I absolutely love that you found two people to finish the race with when you were struggling. I think that was the perfect strategy and so wonderful to team up to get to the finish line!

    Something that works for me on race mornings is to each a small breakfast 3-4 hours before the race (usually a Picky Bar and banana) and then drink an Ensure about an hour before the race. Along with providing some extra calories, it helps with hydration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have a small breakfast, too...usually oatmeal. The race start was delayed about 30 minutes, so that may have been just long enough for the breakfast to be digested and gone....I have not heard of Picky Bars, are they like a protein bar? Hmmm...I might have to look for them and give them a try ;-) Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for keeping it real and congratulations on persevering. You crossed the finish line, and really that's what matters. Some days, we are just off. You still had a very solid performance in my book! I still haven't hit the elusive sub 2, although I've come very close a few times. I usually take 2 GU in a half, and saltstick caps, but I also have an iron stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I used to have an iron stomach...but that's all changed in recent months. The GU's were my main fuel, but now they make my tummy feel icky for several hours afterwards.... not fun ;-( I agree, some days, we are just off. This was my 26th race of this distance, and I certainly have a lot more good races than bad. It's a package deal, huh!

      Delete
  5. I appreciate you being transparent with us. It's easy to post only the great things but it does keep it real when you post struggles. I think it makes you so much more personable cause we all have struggles.Some just don't post about them. I think it's just the day, if you did the exact same thing another time I'd be willing to bet it would be closer to what your use too. Hey you finished and got a great medal and not injury issues, I'd say success! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ;-) Yes, despite the last 3 miles or so, this race was a success. I have said it before, but the tough races are what make US tough. Anyone can run an easy race, but there's not much to learn from the experience ;-)

      Delete
  6. You finished, I see that as an accomplishment in itself.

    I've moved away from gels, I still have them occasionally but more so if there is nothing else. They are my back up.
    I actually really enjoy fruit puree's. (yes baby food). Works a treat for me.
    I tired dried figs once, never again, I ended up choking on a seed. Dried apricots and dates are ok. But sometimes I don't want sweet stuff. So jerky or hard boiled eggs are another option.
    Think real food, and always test run before race day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I am interested in using more real food. I had never thought of baby food...great suggestion!!! Thank you ;-)

      Delete
  7. This is one of the best posts I've read in a long time!! I love your authenticity and genuineness - perseverance!!! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I'm one of those runners/bloggers that others can relate to. If I have a bad race (or a great one), I think I need to show the world what is authentically happening because chances are the same stuff has happened to them as well. I'm a positive "glass-half-full" person, but I also experience setbacks...and I'm not afraid to admit it.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on finishing and sticking with it. Definitely sounds like a fueling issue. I always bring a honey stinger waffle with me to eat right before we start running as it's pretty easy on the tummy. Sometimes we just need to give the best that we have on that day and that's what you did! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! Thankfully, I have several months to work on this issue LOL I like the HS waffles, but do find them difficult to eat while running (even when I crush them up in the package)...not enough saliva or something. I never thought of actually eating one before a race (duh!). #alwayslearning ;-)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like something was definitely off. I messed up my fuel in Twin Cities this fall and wanted to be done by 13. Running sucks sometimes. But we push through and figure it out and the next one will be better. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my 26th (or 27th?) half, and I thought I had it all figured out LOL The past several months, the gels have not been good to me (or my tummy), so I've been trying other things. I'm always thankful for the finish line...always a victory, no matter the "journey" to get there ;-)

      Delete
  10. Congrats on your finish. It might not have been what you wanted to be at but you still pulled through and crossed the finish. I had a hard time with fueling pre race and during races. I have the half fueling down but I'm still working on fueling during a full. I tend to hit the wall around mile 18-20.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fueling is so tricky, and is SO different for everyone. I thought I had the 13.1 all figured out as well, but the gels are not working anymore for me...so I've had to try some different options. I think I need more "real" food, at least possibly right before the start line. This race had an unexpected 30-minute late start...so that may have been a factor, too.

      Delete