Wednesday, November 18, 2015

My Driveway is my Canvas






I have blogged a time or two (actually several) about my love for art. I have come clean, and admitted to being an art geek (more than once). One such medium I enjoy is chalk art.
Celebrating the New Year!
This all started way back when I was a new blogger, and had a brand new Facebook page that was in need of its own unique nuance. I have always had a fascination with dragonflies, hence the name Running on the Fly. I even incorporated a dragon fly "logo" of sorts, that accompanies most of my chalk creations.

It's no secret that I love to run (and I love my pretty running shoes).


I wanted to be a gal whose running page encompassed all runners, not just the "fast" runners.

I have used my driveway as a temporary canvas for various holidays...

 Valentine's Day

St. Patrick's Day

The Fourth of July



I even have created Easter eggs.....with subtle hints as to what was to come....

 I had just committed to running my second marathon (IMT Des Moines Marathon 2014)!
 
Look closely, there's a "new" goal race in the works
 
Shortly after starting my blog and Facebook page, a bunch of fellow running buddies convinced me to register and train for my first marathon (Quad Cities Marathon, 2013)

This past summer I ran my first Ultra...and felt the need to psyche myself up for the experience

I have used my chalk art to document long training runs
The first time I ran farther than a half marathon was cause for celebrating


It's also no secret that I LOVE my RuNnEr FrIeNdS


I even traveled to the Windy City in 2014, and ran the Rock'n Roll Remix Challenge with one of my runner friends, Penny
My rendition of a couple Chicago landmarks

I live in Iowa, so I get to experience the change of seasons....



And I have used my chalk art to pay tribute to tragedy...
 Boston Marathon 2013
And, most recently, Paris
In summary, art serves many purposes. It encompasses beauty, serenity, and expressiveness. It can bring us happiness and it can help us cope with tragedy. I am so ever thankful to have it in my life.

Any other art geeks out there?

26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thank you!! (It keeps me from doing boring stuff...like cleaning LOL)

      Delete
  2. I love your works of art! My husband's family is very artistic and one of kids has the gene. But me? No. I am content to look at your beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably have more talent than you're aware of....we're our own worst critics #truth

      Delete
  3. I love your art! Such a great way to express yourself! Makes me wish I had a driveway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! We have a huge circular driveway, it's fun to play with chalk on it but shoveling/blowing snow is another story ;-)

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love this! Kim you have such a unique talent in a world with so many bloggers fighting to be different, you my friend are right on track! I love all your creations in chalk and please continue it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your art work!! I am not artistic in that way at all...LOL! I do create beautiful food though! HEHE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your sidewalk chalk art is awesome and so fun! What a great way to be able to constantly celebrate your successes or upcoming events and get to do it again the nexy/day week when the want arises! Love it!!!!
    I love coloring sidwalks with my nieces and nephews, I never thought of doing it on my own for the sake of fun, you may have just inspired me to buy a bucket of fun chalk for my own... Well next spring when the sidewalks are snow free again!
    Oh, and your awesome at this, what a cool talent!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a fun, creative little twist to add to my running "hobby." It keeps me out of trouble ;-)

      Delete
  7. love it! I am not that talented but I appreciate those who are. I saw some beautiful sidewalk chalk art that would blow you away when I was in Italy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sidewalk chalk art is fun, but I have to make sure to capture the image before it rains. Each "work" is short-lived, but that makes me appreciate them that much more

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a fun way to document my journey....and other happenings ;-)

      Delete
  9. This is so cool! I love the artwork...you are pretty talented :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! We all have our own things....I can't run super fast, and I cannot sing to save my life...but give me some art supplies, and I'm a happy gal ;-)

      Delete
  10. 1000?? What are you celebrating in the last photo?
    I love this idea! It's so cute! I'm not really talented in many things, to be honest I haven't really found my thing! I have found no art skills or athletic skills. I think drawing and running can be very therapeutic so I'm glad to see you have both! Looking forward to checking out what other great chalk art creations you make!
    https://curlycaroline.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ;-) The 1000 is from the summer of 2013, when my Facebook page reached the milestone of having 1000 followers ;-) I bet you have "a thing," you just haven't realized it...something you have a passion for that you have always loved doing as a child (and continue to have a love for now). Dig deep---I bet you'll find it!

      Delete