Sunday, August 21, 2016

Keeping It Real





I'll be keeping it real with this Weekly Wrap. We'll be talking achy ankles, oversleeping oopsies, and wet weather woes...just to name a few.

Let's start with my Trench Run from a week ago (recap HERE). It was a great event, and I had a lot of fun challenging myself with the obstacles as well as the "extended" 10K distance of the course (final results from the race director informed us the course actually was 7.33 miles). But there was a lot more running than obstacles...and most of it was on gravel. My ankles and outer soles of my feet have been aching since. Not a crisis, but a mere side-effect. No complaints, but the reality is that I spent most of the afternoon on the couch when we returned home from the race. I'm not much of a napper, but I was that day.

on the couch, in my compression sleeves and Oofoos
Monday arrived. As usual, I wanted to get my #nevermissaMonday run done early. I did just a mile, but it felt longer and I felt like I was going in slow-mo due the achy ankles. And I probably had a bit of a zombie walk for the rest of the day (Ankle DOMS, perhaps?)


Tuesday, I had every intention of rising and shining early and getting in a good run before my work day began. My alarm goes off at 4:58AM every morning, but most days I'm awake before that. Also, most days, I allow myself a few minutes of dozing before getting out of bed. Imagine my surprise when I glanced at the clock and it showed 6:24....oops.

accidental over-sleeping = accidental rest day (sort of...)

I did wind up dong a decent 20-minute power walk in the evening, though, I brought along my 8-pound hand weights and did non-stop arm maneuvers as well.

Wednesday isn't typically a running day for me, but I had a little bit of guilt from the fail on Tuesday's run. So, I tried to make it happen on Wednesday morning...except I awoke to the sounds of thunderbolts and lightning (very,very frightening). Seriously? Since I was not about to lace up and head out in that (nor was I going to fire up the treadmill), I made the command decision to do some stair-training instead. Up and down the staircase, 50 times, thank you very much.

taking it to the stairs

Later that afternoon, I also embarked on a couple hours of mall-walking with the two remaining kiddos at home (and there may have been a rather large cash pay-out for back-to-school necessities). There also was some evening planking, in between watching the Olympics on television.

The planking never stops in my household

Thursday, dawned kind of dark and dreary, but dry. I quickly laced up the shoes and headed out before any precipitation could appear. After two failed attempts, I was able to knockout a decent early morning run. Finally. Third time's a charm, you know.

Started in the dark, ended with daylight...and a #Boltpose
Not much on the agenda for Friday, but I have kept consistent with my August goals (see below). Also, I decided to fine-tune the hair. I'm in a constant battle as to what length I want my bangs to be. I'm also determined to not get in a rut and sport the same hairdo too long...so I trimmed up a section of the majorly out-grown bangs. It's only hair, right? I have learned how to do it the right way, so it's not obvious, but still gives my 'do a different look.

the new bangs...what do you think (pay no attention to the #RBF)?
Saturday, finally a day to get in a somewhat long run! The weather app said rain up until 6:00AM or so, then cloud cover thereafter. I left the house at 6:45 to meet up with my friend, Barb (we live about a mile from each other, so often times we meet up at the halfway point between our houses and go from there). Although there was no immediate precipitation in the air, it was very damp and wet from the overnight showers.


Wouldn't you know it? About 1.5 miles into our 8-miler, it started sprinkling. Thankfully,it was a very light sprinkling of rain, but it was rain none-the-less. And it lasted for several miles. Did I mention it was followed my mist, up until the final mile or so?

My poor (new) shoes had their first "wet run."

Poor babies! They spent the rest of the day with newspaper stuffed inside of them!
And my hair? A total ponytail fail.
This, right here, is why I seldom do ponytails...too much of a mess. I prefer braids or "messy" buns instead.

Sunday was a busy day....we loaded up all his gear and hauled our son back to college. Fortunately, we had unseasonably cool weather, and zero precipitation!

ready for his sophomore year of college!
Of course, the timing was not ideal, in terms of the men's marathon coverage at the Olympics. I was able to see a few highlights throughout the morning, though. I was especially impressed with how Meb handled himself after a tough race, and then that stumble and tumble at the finish line. Push-ups? Now that's style, grace, and a bit of finesse!

pic from NBC Olympics


So, that's my week. In other news:

I have been watching as much of the Olympics as possible. Max has been watching the coverage with me (most nights). It's hard to remember what I used to do most evenings before the Olympics began. (anyone?)


 I am in such awe and wonder of the talent these athletes possess. Quite honestly, I take for granted what they are capable of doing...until I see them in action. And, the sportsmanship? Two words: simply amazing.

Usain Bolt. Unstoppable!
The 4x100 relay team of Tianna Bartoletta, Allyson Felix, English Gardner, and Tori Bowie....totally amazing! Having to do a separate time trial, then getting placed in the first lane...then winning gold. WOW! 

And lastly, my August goals are keeping me accountable and on target.

25 daily push-ups, 150 monthly planking minutes, 100 flights of stair work each week, and 20 minutes (minimum) of cardio daily....so far, so good! 


As usual, I'm linking up with Holly (from HoHo Runs) and Tricia (from MissSippiPiddlin) for the Weekly Wrap. Do head over and checkout their awesome blogs, as well as the many other blogs in the link-up.








51 comments:

  1. Your dedication is inspiring! Enjoy the closing ceremony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops....I think I'm missing the closing ceremony (My Bad). I think I"m also a little in denial that I have to wait another four years ;-(

      Delete
  2. I hate it when my pony-tail does that, but your bangs look great! I've been catching the Olympics when I can - I recorded the women's and men's marathons and happen to catch track at just the right times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hit and miss on some of the track stuff....I totally missed all of the Decathlon coverage except for the final event that secured Ashton Eaton's gold. I also missed the women's marathon last week due to my trench run (whomp whomp)

      Delete
  3. I love the home staircase training. I should do that! You do a great lightning Bolt. Isn't he inspiring? I wished I had been better about recording the Olympic events I wanted to see because sadly I didn't have much time for live viewing. The bangs look fantastic. It took so long to grow mine out, I haven't been able to bite that bullet. Thanks for linking, Kim. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My staircase gets a lot of mileage...and my dog gets really confused watching me going up & down LOL He can't figure out if I'm gonna stay upstairs or come back down and sometimes he tries to follow me.

      Delete
  4. I got tired while reading about your week. You are amazingly active.
    I am going to miss the Olympics. Can't wait 4 years!!
    I keep my bangs short. No patience to grow them out. I think they cover the wrinkles on my forehead LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really gonna miss the Olympics, too. I guess if they happened every year, though, it wouldn't be as significant.

      Delete
  5. We've been watching the Olympics as much as possible - I loved the track + field events and also all the different cycling. Gravel will take a toll on your ankles for sure. Hope they are recovered now. You had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see any of the cycling, then again I didn't really look for it. My viewing time was kind of limited. I did see some of the women's triathlon...that was exciting!

      Delete
  6. I"m sad the Olympics are over! Thank goodness for football!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch much football (unless it's NCAA or the Superbowl). I love the gymnastics and the track events, though! Swimming was exciting, too, since I'm familiar with the events due to our son's swimming experience. I"m bummed I wasn't able to see any of the live coverage of either marathon ;-(

      Delete
  7. Wow, I'm am just exhausted thinking about getting up at 4:58 am!!!!

    I can understand why your ankles would hurt, running on gravel does not sound comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body just seems to wake up on its own LOL Although, this morning, the dog heard something outside around 4:30....so that was the start of my day.

      Delete
  8. My staircase gets a workout sometimes as well! I also have a retaining wall out back that is the perfect height for step ups when I'm in the mood for an "old school" workout! Sounds like several of us "weekly wrappers" sent kids off to college this week ...does it get easier with each year????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sending kids off to college does get easier each year, and with each kid. We just moved our oldest (daughter) out to Pennsylvania a month ago...now that was hard. At least when they're "away" at college, they're still able to come home on an occasional weekend. I love the retaining wall for step-ups! I have often thought of doing that with our deck.

      Delete
  9. I hope your feet/ankles have fully recovered from that race! It is an amazing 57 degrees here this morning as I type. Finally some twinges of fall. I loved every minute of the Olympics and there will definitely be a void tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was 55 degrees here when I rose and shone. Yikes. The cooler temps do feel good, but I am NOT ready for summer to end ;-(

      Delete
  10. I've definitely had some days where I planned to run and it just didn't work out. It happens! And like you said, 3rd time is the charm! That's awesome that you climbed your own steps 50 times! I wonder if I tried that how exhausted I'd be in my house, lol! Great workout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It confuses my dog something fierce when I do the stair-training, though! He tires to follow me, then he waits at the bottom for me...then watches me as I turn back around...LOL

      Delete
  11. Some weeks are just like that. But you keep trying -- that's what counts! Better to be flexible than somewhat rigid like I tend to be!

    I will definitely be missing the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....I'm totally into flexibility! Life happens, and it's best to respond and move onward ;-)

      Delete
  12. Third time's the charm! Glad you got a good workout in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to have a little bit of that rain even with lightening and thunder. So over the heat! Loved seeing Meb at the finish. He is just so great for the sport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meb is such a class act. I love how he got back up and simply walked across the finish line....he showed a runner of his talent and ability is also a human.

      Delete
  14. Real life, man! I've also been suffering from..."Olympics-itis" - lots of watching events and maybe staying up too late and suffering for it later. Kind of glad it's over now. So many highlights and great moments. Definitely gives me something inspiring to think about on my runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much inspiration to behold from watching the Olympics ;-)

      Delete
  15. I am such an early morning riser, and if I don't get up, the cat wakes me up... but once in a while the cat will sleep in and so will I. I slept until 8 a.m. this past Saturday. I NEVER do that.

    Great job on your monthly goals !

    I didn't watch as much of the olympics as I would have liked, we didn't get to choose which events to watch... and it was only one 1 or 2 channels. With the time difference it wasn't possible either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought we had great coverage here...but, of course, we did see more of the USA athletes (overall), especially in the gymnastics.

      Delete
  16. I used to run the stairs in my flat when I lived in London because it rained all the time haha. I also have to do a braid when I run or I get knots that take way too much struggling to get out haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair is extremely straight and fine...and it still gets so matted & ratted. I can't imagine what it's like for the gals who have thick/course/curly hair!

      Delete
  17. You never quit! I love the home stair training! I have had to do a little "home walking" to get my steps in and my hubby thinks I am crazy! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I have the stairs to play on LOL There's a lot of different ways to incpororate them into fitness.

      Delete
  18. Love your hair! Also, I have those same Brooks!! I'm an Adrenalines girl all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OK I have to know-why 4:58 on the alarm? That would drive me crazy not bc it is so early but bc it is not 5:00 LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha....my clock is a pain to reset, so when I have it on 4:58, I only have to reset the "minutes" and not the entire time if I need to get up earlier (like at 4:00 for an early departure)

      Delete
  20. I did the dozing thing today. Looked at my alarm, rested for a minute, and then it was an hour later. Oh well, at least I'm not tired today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy how the dozing can (sometimes) bit your buttocks! But, it's usually needed ;-)

      Delete
  21. Another fab week! My hair gets totally disgusting and messy in a ponytail too. It's ridiculous and annoying! Braids bother me, and messy buns don't stay in place with all the bouncing around, so I just have to suffer :P

    I love the idea of rocking out the flights of stairs in your own house. I don't know why I don't do that! Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten so I can't stand the constant bouncing of a pony tail (unless it's a low pony, which looks dorky on me)...so I usually have it up or in braids (which don't seem to move as much).

      Delete
  22. I feel like I"m in a constant "growing out" stage, then wanting them shorter as they get longer. Kind of a crazy cycle.....but I manage to work with what I have in the various stages of "length" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Overall it looks like a pretty awesome week! Yeah my ponytail has been getting all knotted up too, so I try to do a braid or bun when I run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a pony tail (sometimes) if it's not hot or humid, but I prefer braids of a top-knot thing. I've gotten so I can't stand the bounciness of a ponytail LOL

      Delete
  24. I think when you oversleep it is your bodies way of saying I need more rest. Great job on #Nevermissamonday! I always think of this on Mondays too! Great job on last minute thinking to do the stairs when it's storming outside too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the oversleeping thing. I'm kind of a night owl AND early bird mix....usually I can function on 5 hours of sleep...usually....

      Delete
  25. Third time is definitely a charm. Kudos to you for pushing through and getting that run in, even after oversleeping and dealing with rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a half marathon happening on Sept. 10th, so I needed to up the mileage a bit. And, I am in the beginning set of marathon training (Route 66, Nov. 20), so the runs need to get done. ;-)

      Delete
  26. great week of training! I hate those runs where it's super humid from rain, I'd rather it just rain on me so at least I cool off lol. I have to do my long run tomorrow and am totally dreading it because i have gotten such awful sleep all week. UGH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can handle the humidity, but I certainly do not love it. It's crazy when it's humid and overcast...totally throws me off because it's always hotter than it looks.

      Delete