Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Got Gratitude?- 2016


Being a runner has had a pretty significant impact on my life.

Oh gosh. There is SO much to be grateful for...and not just this time of season, but year-round.

I've written previous Thankful posts (in 2015 and 2014), and I honestly don't know if I could say it any better. Bear with me, I'm gonna go with (mainly) what's been said before, but tweak some of it to make it more current.

My family.  I am so absolutely in love with my husband and three amazing kids.  They don't usually run with me (stay tuned, I'm working on that detail), but they put up with me and my running.  And, they don't complain too much about the running shoes scattered throughout the house or the occasional icky toenail. 


Christmas 2015
*My faith.  I'm not gonna get all high and almighty on you, but my faith is my cornerstone. My humbleness, and my strength. It's my everything.

*My friends. I have an abundance of awesome people in my life.  I appreciate all their kind words, messages and hugs. Some of them are just as crazy as me, and have been known to run Ultra's overnight, in the heat (and humidity) of summer...complete with lightning, rain, and Christmas lights. They make me smile and feel warm & fuzzy.


2016 Christmas in July 12-hour overnight ultra
*Maxton McArthur. We adopted Max from a nearby animal shelter almost two years ago. I didn't grow up with a dog, and our family has never had one. I totally didn't get the "dogs aren't pets, they are family" thing. Well, I totally get it now. This adorable little guy has wormed his way into my heart, and everyone else who has met him. He makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, too.




*Freedom to run "my way." I don't have be fast. I don't have to run every day. I don't have to run excessive weekly mileage. And I don't have to love every experience in my running shoes. Most importantly, I don't have to impress anyone other than myself. Running has liberated me like nothing else.


*My virtual running buddies.  There are so many wonderful people who have become dear friends, and most of them came to me via this blog and my running page, Running on the Fly .  There have been countless messages, well wishes, (virtual) high-5's, and many laughs shared through our computer screens. And, there have been some tears and sniffles, too. I have met some of these fabulous peeps in person, and look forward to meeting many more.



The racing community.  I don't consider myself a racer, but I love the atmosphere on race day.  There's something about an entire bunch of strangers, all running towards the same finish line, that makes me feel at-one with all others on the race course . Nothing is better than the final 100 feet of a race...the finish line fanfare is intoxicating.


Quad Cities Marathon Relay team with three of my cousins
*The gift of running.  Having spent most of my life believing I was not an athlete, I am so humbled (and proud) to call myself not just a runner, or a marathoner, but an Ultra Marathoner! It's not my intention to impress others. Instead, I hope to inspire them to violate their own comfort zones. I now have six marathons under my belt (three of which are ultras!), 31 half marathons, a few 10-mile races, and countless races of other distances. If I can be an "athlete" (with my less-than-athletic body), anyone else can be one, too.


Have you taken the time to reflect on all you have? What are you most grateful for?

I'm linking up with Deb for the Wednesday Word...and we're talking Gratitude this week. I'm also linking up with Susie and Debbie and Rachel and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner. I invite you to checkout all of these wonderful hostesses, as well as all the other blogs in the link-ups.








25 comments:

  1. All of the above! I'm so grateful for the friends I've met through this wonderful blogging community--especially you! Excited to run Grandma's with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also grateful for all of the above and the friends I've made in the running community including you! Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful for you, too ;-) YOU're exposing me to all kinds of new foods ;-)

      Delete
  3. I love all of the above too. And I also love how you always have University of Iowa paraphernalia on too. Go Hawks!!! Did you see the beat University of Michigan? I remember when I was a freshman at Iowa and we beat U of Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go Hawks! The Michigan game was a nail-biter! That happened my freshman year, too....;-)

      Delete
  4. You are definitely a racer and you're like Darlene -- far too modest. You're definitely speedier than you think.

    Have a great Thanksgiving, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't consider myself a racer.....I just don't have that competitive edge. Some people thrive on always going faster or beating other runners, and I just don't have that mind set. I love a PR as much as the next person, but I honestly love running enough that I'm content to "just run" and not make it a contest LOL

      Delete
  5. I'm so grateful for the running, blogging, and running bloggers communities. I've met some pretty amazing people via them! cough cough Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen! Amen! Amen!!!

    Great list of gratefulness!!!
    I love reflecting more consciously during this time of year!

    Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family ;-)

      Delete
  7. Ahh yes! the gift of running! I too will always be thankful for running! Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gift of running is truly something I do not take for granted. Every run is a blessing ;-)

      Delete
  8. Yes all of the above too.

    Mostly being healthy so I can enjoy everything and everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots here to be thankful for! I totally agree that our pets are definitely a member of the family! I am glad yours has given you so much joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max has been so much more of a blessing than I could have ever imagined. ;-)

      Delete
  10. You sure do run your way, but it is fast, impressive and badass - at least to me! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Running and the running community always end up on my thankful list. I get so much out of both.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much to be thankful for! I love that we can make so many connections through the running community. And being able to run "your own way" is one of the thing that makes running so great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading all the posts about what people are grateful for. Such positivity. Keep up the great work on your blog, you constantly inspire me ! Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great, we all need to remember the things we are grateful for. I am grateful for my family, friends and the running community

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so grateful for all of those things too. Whenever I am feeling like I don't feel like running, I remind myself to be grateful for my ability to run and the strength my body has.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous post, and yes, we have so much to be grateful for!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete