Monday, February 6, 2017

On the run...with AC/DC


Who doesn't love a good run?

Give me some comfy shoes, a bright ensemble of clothing, and favorable weather conditions and I'm a very happy gal. If I'm running with friends, even better. But if I'm running solo, I usually prefer to have music with me.


It's no secret that I love music. Especially on long runs, music is vital for keeping me entertained. I typically don't have the volume very loud, but just having a little bit of "ambiance" really helps me enjoy the experience. I don't rely on music for speed or cadence, but hearing the tunes and the rhythmic beats certainly keeps me energized!

I have a very eclectic mix of music on my Ipod, ranging from 80's pop, new wave, disco (no judging!), and classic rock. If I were to choose my favorite genre for running tunes, though, it would have to be classic rock...and AC/DC would be front and center.

These are a few of my absolute favorite AC/DC tunes. The guitar riffs and solid beats of the drums  guarantee that I'll be moving and grooving (and possibly singing out loud):

First and foremost?  It's a Long Way to the Top if You Wanna Rock and Roll. The video is not the best quality, but this song has it all...a fast beat, awesome lyrics, and the bag pipes! Go ahead, try to run slow to this song...I dare you.



Who Made Who. Though the tempo isn't super fast, the song has a super heavy beat.



Thunderstruck. Hands-down, the guitar intro not only gets my heart pumping, but it feels like a shot of adrenaline surges through my veins when this song starts to play.



Highway to Hell. When I was a new half-marathoner, I remember hearing this song around mile two of a race (on a rainy morning). Ironically, the race (Dam to Dam) is a point-to-point route, so there's essentially no turning back once you cross the start line. It starts out on a dam, and the first 6-7 miles are on a highway, en route to another dam in downtown Des Moines. It really felt like a highway to hell....but I have gone back and run this race every year since, and will be running my 10th Dam to Dam in June.



Money Talks. Another awesome song with a lot of great guitar work going on, and a fast beat.


Last of all, who doesn't love You Shook Me All Night Long? It's another song with a slower beat, but a strong beat that keeps you moving.


So, tell me...are you an AC/DC fan? I liked some of their stuff when I was younger, but it wasn't until the last several years that I have developed a deep appreciation for their work.

Do you listen to music when you run or workout? Favorite genre? Favorite artist? Favorite song?

I'm linking up with Janelle and Kim and Steff for the Tunes Tuesday link-up


and also with Marcia and Patty and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run


and let's not forget Susie and Rachel and Debbie and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner.



40 comments:

  1. You just gave me some great new tunes to add to my playlist!
    Thanks so much for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound like some great tunes to get through a run. I always listen to music too when I am running solo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I loved AC/DC when I was in high school! I know all the words to You Shook Me All Night Long. I may have sung it at a Karaoke outing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked them, but didn't love them back then...I've done a complete 180 since becoming a runner

      Delete
  4. This is great! I had a friend in high school who was obsessed with AC/DC but I never got into their tunes. I'm done for some classic rock so I'll have to add these to my playlist! Thanks for joining us for Tunes Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only in recent years that I've gotten "into them" ;-) Their songs are great for running

      Delete
  5. ACDC does make some really great running music, I think that is the only time I will listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't listened to ACDC in years and wouldn't have thought about using it on the run but that's a great idea! I use music on the treadmill or through trails without cars and I love that it makes the time fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't listen to music on the run -- nothing but my own breathing and the chirping of the birds (and other people talking on their cell phones, sometimes, which is totally annoying).

    Sometimes I think I should go back to it. But I'm used to it now.

    As to the treadmill, though, there I have to watch tv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my treadmill is (currently) planted in our mudroom, with nothing but a window (which often times is the reflection of someone who'd rather be outside). So, I got to have some tunes to keep me (somewhat) sane LOL

      Delete
  8. I definitely have a few of these on my playlist! (Although I dont listen to music when I run- just when I lift or bike). I remember Thunderstruck was a track for Body Pump and I thought it was such a great workout song!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I resisted music for a long time but now I rarely run without it. Yes to AC/DC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I spent most of my first year in running shoes on a treadmill...with ZERO music. What the WHAT! (maybe that explains a few things.....) ;-)

      Delete
  10. I'm a big AC/DC fan! It's such a fun surprise when one of their songs come on my iPod. Thanks for joining the link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an Ipod Shuffle, so I'm always pleasantly surprised when they pop up, too. Angus and company always gets me energized ;-)

      Delete
  11. I have always loved a little AC/DC on my play list! So fun and gets you going for sure

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ran the TransRockies 6 day run this summer, and at the start of EVERY stage, every morning, they played "Highway to Hell". I wasn't really an AC/DC fan before, but that song gets me every time now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a huge, die-hard fan...but I love a lot of their stuff. It certainly gets me energized!

      Delete
  13. Yes! Love me some 80's and Classic Rock! Sometimes I run without music just to listen to the birds in nature but there are runs that I really do need my music!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having music along with me. I don't have it head-slamming loud, but just the beat of the music feels good.

      Delete
  14. THUNDA!!!!

    Every song is now stuck in my head... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Thunderstruck is such a great song...before I had my Shuffle, I always cued that up at the start of a race.

      Delete
  15. I am a music girl too! Great tunes! I like that old 80/90 R&B headed bobbin stuff :) but who doesn't love a good- you shook me all night long as loud as you can go? FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you just gotta be careful singing along with the band...out loud ;-)

      Delete
  16. I am not an AC/DC fan. Having tunes though that are your fave and keep you moving is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I was not an AC/DC fan back when they were in their prime...but they have grown on me LOL Their music gets me energized ;-)

      Delete
  17. I love Thunderstruck. Everytime it comes up on my playlist I seem to get an additional bounce in my step.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Back in Black....is my fav! I LOVE AC/DC. Their music is great for workouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their music certainly has a great energizing "thing" about it ;-)

      Delete
  19. I do like AC/DC.

    To be honest, I've been listening to some more Broadway and instrumentals lately on my runs. I can lose myself in that a little more than other things. But I'm always changing in that regard, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is so personal, but it is a great little "friend" to have with you

      Delete
  20. I'll need to add a few of those to my running playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thunderstruck is one of my all time favorite pump up and running songs!

    ReplyDelete