Thursday, May 25, 2017

Shall we RUNFESS?


Anybody know what time it is?

As the month draws to a close, that can only mean one thing for a lot of us runners....time to runfess some stuff. After all, we're only human, right? Not every thing in running (or life) is all rainbows and lollipops.


Overall, my training has been going remarkably well. Although there have been a few achy muscles on occasion, I have pretty much avoided injury. I've been able to do almost all of my runs outside, so 'Milly hasn't been a thorn in my side. I also had some decent finish times at some recent races. Life has been good.

But, there are a few things that need to be brought forward and runfessed out loud:

**Shall we start with the Weather?
Seriously, what is going on? I runfess I'm SO done with it. Cold temps, damp air, and much (too much) wind. We've had some beautiful days with oodles of sunshine and fresh air, and they've all been followed by several more days of late-winter conditions (minus the snow). Enough with it already, it's time to move on to some seasonal weather, Momma N. End of story.
Mamma N, what's up with the weather???
*****Did you hear about the impromptu 16-miler?
Last weekend, rain was in the forecast for all day Saturday. My friend, Barb, and I had stalked several weather apps, and pretty much (on Friday) decided to postpone our long run to Sunday. Knowing this, I wasn't very diligent about hydrating and fueling because I planned to spend Saturday prepping my body (and mind) for Sunday's run. Then Barb texted me mid-morning on Saturday, and told me her app showed a window of "dryness" starting around noon...should we attempt to head out then (instead of waiting until Sunday)?
Don't be fooled by the smiles....
I was hoping to do 16-17 miles...and I hadn't even had breakfast yet. Could we? Should we?  Well, we did. I ate some food, and got my hydration pack ready. We set out around 12:15. Although the rain had halted, the air was still damp and the wind was fierce. My energy actually did alright for such a grand undertaking with minimal preparation, but neither my body (nor mind) were strong players. Battling the wind didn't help either. The final two miles were tough, and we called it good at 16 miles. I runfess this run really had me doubting if I could squeeze out another 10 miles come race day. By the next morning, though, I felt like a new person. Apparently the endurance is there, working strong, even when we're not aware of it. Who'da thunk?

*****Let's not forget about Grandma's Marathon...
Grandma's Marathon is a mere three weeks out...happening on June 17th, in Duluth, MN. Wow, three weeks! The training has really gone fast, and it's really gone well (knock on wood). My longest run (so far) was the 16-miler last weekend. Technically, this week is a scale-back week because the previous three weeks have been intense. I have a half marathon next weekend, and I plan to do an additional 5 miles after the finish line (thus, finishing the morning with 18 total miles), then taper can commence.
Displaying IMG_7715.JPG
That would be the 2017 Grandma's Marathon training jacket...and I'm not afraid to wear it
Did you see that? I'm not doing a 20-mile training run, and I must runfess I'm NOT worried about it. I know, I know... a 20-mile run is pretty much the benchmark for marathon training. After all, I have done 20-milers in training for three of my four previous marathons.  I also know my endurance base is solid, and it got me through two (overnight) ultra's without reaching that 20-mile benchmark either. Besides, I am not going into this race with a BQ on my agenda. If I'm gifted a perfect day with perfect conditions, then all the better. I ran this very race in 2015 after a train wreck of a training cycle AND nonstop rain for the first two hours AND several porta-pot stops in the second two hours AND a recovering PF-laden foot. I also ran a hilly Route 66 Marathon with a wonky hip. If I can do two tough marathons with less-than-desirable race day conditions, I'm not worried about going into this one "slightly" under-trained.

*****I had a recent shoe revelation!
Don't we all just love and adore running shoes? Seriously, can we ever own too many of them? I had an ad pop up on my Facebook newsfeed from the Brooks website this week...the Adrenaline 16's were on clearance for $78! I clicked in, only to discover they were the men's shoes, not the women's. Then, I noticed they were narrow width! Having worked at a shoe store, I remembered that men's narrow width (B) shoes were the equivalent of a women's regular width (B), and a men's size 9 is (usually) the equivalent of a women's size 11! Bingo! They had my size (albeit, a men's shoe)! I have to come clean and runfess I let that golden opportunity pass. I just got a new pair of Mizuno Wave Inpires, and they have been fantastic. I also have two pairs of Brooks Adrenalines that I trained in for Route 66 (although they have some miles on them,  I can still use them for shorter runs), as well as a fairly new pair of Brooks Ravenna's. But, I will remember this little piece of shoe knowledge for future purchases.

The new Mizuno Wave Inspires are gonna get me to Grandma's
*****How would YOU feel if it happened to you?
I think social media is a great thing. I have met so many wonderful people, and my running experience (and my friendship circle) have greatly been blessed by the power of social media. That said, I realize that a lot of people use it as a platform to market their businesses as well as network with others who share similar interests. That's all well and good, too. I'm a social gal...if a stranger initiates a conversation with me, I'll play along. I must runfess, though, I will question how genuine a stranger's interest in me is if they try to recruit me to join their "team" (and subsequently "unfollow" me when I decline). Trust me, I've see their products (in several of their pictures) and I've read their "pitch," if I want any (additional) information, I will ask.  Granted, I'm a tough sell (I used to work in sales, so I know a lot of their tactics LOL), but I don't like being schmoozed and then duped. And it's happened more than once. Rant over.
So, are we really "friends" or not?
*****And, here's a BONUS Runfession (because, why not?):
After the marathon, I don't have anything (yet) on my racing calendar until November. Can I runfess I'm actually looking forward to a non-commital summer schedule? Of course, I say that now, but will most likely find some (or several) races to do, though I won't have any "big" events that require excessive training.

Eager for summer runnin'
Ahhhhh, it feels good to get all of that out in the open!

How about you? What would you runfess? Weather? Training? Shoes? Ever been schmoozed & duped?

I'm linking up with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions 

I'm also linking this with Meranda and Lacey and Rachel for the Friday Five 2.0. 



46 comments:

  1. I don't know if Mother Nature is having an identity crisis, but the weather here has been insane too. Last week we hit 90 degrees 2 days in a row - this week its been in the 50s and raining for 4 days straight. It's not that I'm in a rush for summer temperatures to come, but some consistency would be great!

    I'm excited for you for Grandma's Marathon! I know some many cool running bloggers (including yourself :) ) that are attending. I think you will all have such a fun-filled weekend!

    Total understand what you mean about social media. It's a shame that some people are not genuine and just want to sell you stuff, but I think the good on social media outweighs the bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...there's far more good than bad on social media, but the "bad" apples seem to not care how they treat others (I wonder if they know the rest of us talk smack about them?) ;-)

      Delete
  2. Ok, I'll runfess that I unfollow anyone who tries to recruit me to their team. I had one local woman aggressively recruit me for her Beachbody team, even calling me on my cell. Idk how she got my number. She wanted me to "run with her". Um no. Just recently, a nurse I used to work with asked me to "go to lunch" with her, but I know it's to recruit me to sell Juice Plus. Um no. Why would you do that to a friend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree: I feel like we squandered much of May with bad weather. That's why it's so unbelievable that JUNE is NEXT WEEK! I'm also with you on the sales tactics. I'm sure they're instructed to expand their circles but the manner in which they do so is just wrong not to mention irritating. You've more than earned a carefree, quiet summer! Cannot believe Grandma's is so soon! You're ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope I'm ready for Grandma's, too (and am not just being over-confidant). How did June arrive so quickly???

      Delete
  4. Your facial expressions are the best! For the most part I love social media but yes there are lots who want something from you and then unfollow you it's annoying. Who has time for that?? We have had some challenging weather lately which has made it hard to train for my bike hoping this weekend goes better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The past 10 days or so of weather (at least that's as far back as I can remember LOL) has been miserable.....

      Delete
  5. I hope Memorial Day brings you gorgeous weather that lasts you the rest of the summer!
    I have unfollowed or not followed folks on Social media if it looks like their goal is to sell something or recruits. I've had enough with those drinks and wraps and diets. I'm not their target market!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....some people are SO tacky in their sales techniques. I need to go through my Instagram thing and weed out some more people...

      Delete
  6. I love my Nikes and I won't share how many pairs I have of them.

    This weather is nuts. rain....I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather certainly has been temperamental this spring

      Delete
  7. The weather has just been crazy - truly on of the oddest, and coldest May's I can remember. I'm over it too!
    The whole follow, pitch the product, unfollow is so tacky - it surprises me that the tactic actually works for anyone!
    Very excited for you for Grandma's - can't believe it's so soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle ;-) I'm looking forward to Grandma's and excited to see what the day brings ;-)

      Delete
  8. Yes we had rain down south for 4 days straight! I sucked it up and ran 3 in steady rains and wind. Why not? I am starting to miss my own "milly!" Lol! The sun has been out the last two days and the weather has been cooler. It will be boiling hot soon and guess what? More rain next week :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't love rain, but I can tolerate it if it's a light rain (not a torrential downpour)...and if the temps are above 70-degrees. Anything cooler is just miserable ;-(

      Delete
  9. Well I have always read it's better to be a little under trained than over trained! (Although I guess the ideal is to be just the right amount of trained but does that ever happen??? Haha!)

    I have had people email me about writing about their products on my blog but it is clear they never really read my blog and they are sending the same email to probably hundreds of people, so I just don't reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a lot of the emails for blog posts as well...and seldom do they ever offer anything in return. Usually, it's stuff I've never heard of, so most of my "people" probably wouldn't be interested in it anyways LOL

      Delete
  10. It's raining an so cold here right now, it doesnt help that I now have a head cold. I runfess that I'm looking forward to summer weather and early morning runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! I'm eager for summer weather and WARM early morning runs!!

      Delete
  11. I'm with you on being sold to. It's super annoying.

    I'm not doing a 20-miler for Grandma's either. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me. Are you only doing one taper long run? I'm technically doing 18 tomorrow, then 14, then 9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing 10-ish tomorrow (we'll see how I feel after mile 10 LOL), then 18 next weekend, then probably 10 the following week. It's crazy how a 10-miler seems like an "easy" run at this point in the training LOL

      Delete
  12. I totally agree with you about the sales thing. And there seem to be so many these days. While I appreciate that everyone needs to make a living, please accept my no when it's given.

    I always do 20 milers or more in marathon training because it seems to strengthen my lungs and help me avoid my exercise induced asthma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do at least one 20-miler, but I just couldn't get it to work in with all of my other races. Although I have 26.2 miles to tackle in a few weeks, I know the course is pretty flat and very scenic...and I've run it before, so there should be no "unknowns." At least that's my plan ;-)

      Delete
  13. I want those beautiful sunny days! I'm tired of this weather as well! :[

    I'm completely with you on people who try to recruit me to join their team and unfollow me when I tell them thank-you-but-not-interested. Same with people who try to sell me products or follow me just to unfollow. >_> It's gotten to the point where I'm kinda hesitant to accept friend requests from people I don't actually interact with on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's sunny sky was the first one in several days...rumor has it, we may see the sun again tomorrow....

      Delete
  14. You know, I don't mind people trying to sell things, but I do mind when they are sneaky about it! I'm sure you'll find a race before November but it's nice not to be pressured about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you nailed it! The sneakiness is SO annoying! HA, ha, ha,ha...and I do have several races already in mind...I just have not registered for anything yet.

      Delete
  15. I didn't do a 20 miler for my 1st marathon... i was worried about being under trained with the 20 miler benchmark, but it was ok. Looking foward to hearing all about Grandma's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that 20-miler is a valid benchmark, but every runner is unique...with their own unique circumstances. I tried to fit in a 20-miler, but I had a lot of races that I really wanted to do as well, and it just wasn't conducive to work in the extra miles. I'm a strong believer in quality over quantity, though, so I feel good about how my training played out. If this was my first marathon, I'd probably be freaking out...but I also would not have had all the other stuff on my schedule either. ;-)

      Delete
  16. Glad you snuck in that run, though I'll bet you are tired of cold and windy! I'm glad you recovered well, too. I'm glad your body is holding up well to training, I hope that holds through the Grandma's Marathon and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! That 16-miler was so tough...the weather just was not in my favor that day LOL But yes, I was SOOO glad that we got it done. The tough runs really show us what we're made of ;-)

      Delete
  17. Mother Nature is definitely having an identity crisis. Today it is gorgeous but chilly again. I just need sunshine.
    I have a love hate relationship with social media right now. It is exhausting me, honestly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother Nature gave us heavy fog this morning, but finally allowed some sunshine to peek through in the final mile or so of my 10-miler. I agree...I need sunshine, too!

      Delete
  18. Wow, only three weeks until your marathon?? That did go by fast! (easy for me to say since I wasn't having to do all the miles, huh?)

    I runfess that I've bought men's running shoes as well....and they worked just fine!

    I would be irritated by someone unfollowing me just because I didn't want to be on their 'team'... unfortunately, many people use social media for just that purpose...to recruit. I say let 'em go!

    Have a great weekend Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I was tempted to buy the men's shoes, I let them go (although they may still be available...). If I had another big event on my schedule, requiring heavy training, it would be a different story. I just cannot justify a 5th pair to add to my current rotation LOL

      Delete
  19. That is definitely wird about the team join request and then immediate unfollow. . . hmm. And yes, this weather this month has been awful. I am so over all of the rain and cold. Bring on summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for summer, too! Bring on the warm wwather ;-)

      Delete
  20. I sell products and use social media but I agree some have went overboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it's the "bad"ones that ruin it for all the good ones. ;-(

      Delete
  21. First, Have an awesome Marathon!!

    Thanks for the shoes information! I sometimes buy boys shoes, because I find them more comfortable than women's shoes!

    book to social media sales people! I'm so tired of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media can be real frustrating. I think there's a tactful way to work your business through social media, and there's an obnoxious way. Ugh.

      Delete
  22. Thanks, Karen! I'm hoping my body will be ready for action by going easy on the mileage ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have stuck with Mizuno Inspires (even through their "bad years") after a brief almost crippling side track with Brooks Ravenas. My new pair is a deep blue -- and I runfess -- I have nothing that matches. You'll do fantastic at Grandma's! Your endurance is already there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Holly!! The Brooks people did a gait analysis of me at the Route 66 expo, and confirmed the Adrenalines were perfect for me, but also said the Ravenna's could be a possibility. I got a pair of Ravenna's (online, for dirt cheap) before Christmas. For the most part, they are a good fit (though a bit wide in the toe box), but I can tell the support is not quite as good as the Adrenalines. So, they're not gonna be my distance shoes, but they are great for short runs. I'm glad I went back to the Mizunos....they feel good!

      Delete
  24. I runfess that I am behind on this link up! I hate the whole Instagram crap- follow me /unfollow me as well! I mean WTH? Who has time for all that? Definitely not me! I don't have much planned this summer either and I am looking forward to it! Getting these long runs done on the weekend down here is a killer!

    ReplyDelete