Thursday, June 8, 2017

Have (running) Shoes:Will Travel


Have (running) shoes: will travel.

Have you ever employed that philosophy? It's only in recent years that I've started bringing my running gear along on vacation excursions. I'm not an avid "gotta-run-everyday" kind of runner, after all. As much as I love to run, I also embrace a few days away from it every now and then (it's called "balance").


There are many advantages to running while on vacation, the biggest one being that you get a chance to see the sights (and hear the sounds) of your travel destination on foot. You also will be able to indulge (within reason) on local food and drink since you'll be burning off some of the calories in your running shoes.

Rest assured, when I talk about running on vacation, I am referring to running outdoors.......on the city streets, in the open air (not cooped up in a hotel gym or workout room). Whether you venture out on your own, or find a local race to participate in, you'll be keeping your body in motion.

Here are some recent vacations where my running shoes accompanied me on my travels:

***California dreaming
Oh, how I LOVED my time in California during the post-Christmas/pre-New Year's time last year. Our family flew to California to cheer on our Iowa Hawkeyes at the 2016 Rose Bowl. We spent a few days in San Francisco, then drove down Old Highway 1 (along the Pacific coast), arriving in Pasadena by game day. While in San Fran, I not only ran across the Golden Gate Bridge....

...but also through the streets of China Town.

I found a race (A Better World NYE 15K) on New Year's Eve morning (in Santa Monica)...and several other Iowa Hawkeye fans had the same idea.

 
I might have found some sidewalk chalk to play with...
Two days later, On January 2nd, there was another race, the Run in the New Year 5K, on Huntington Beach . I got to meet up with one of my virtual friends, Kristina, for that endeavor!
Celebrating the new year with Kristina
***Florida Keyes
The hubby whisked me away on a surprise trip in early March for my birthday. He even found a race for us to do, the Sombrero Beach Run 10K.  The race took place in -get this- a town called Marathon!

I also ran along the coastline while we stayed in the Florida Keyes.

***In the Windy City
While accompanying the hubby on a weekend business trip to Chicago (in January), I met up with a couple of fun-loving runner gal pals, Marcia and Wendy. We ventured out along the lakefront, ran (and jumped) by the Bean, and shared many laughs.


Recently, we had another whirlwind weekend in Chi-Town (for a U2 concert!), and that called for another adventure in the running shoes...this time with summer temps to enjoy.

***Along the Atlantic coast
A year ago, we attended the National Junior College Athletic Association's national swim meet, in support of our son and his swim team. Of course, I got out and did some beach running in Melbourne...

...and found a local race in Fort Pierce, the Race the Runway 10K.
Yes, the finish line was in between a couple of airplanes

***Spring Break in Pennsylvania
Recently, we spent several days with our oldest daughter in Hanover, PA (she moved there last summer). We had been there two other times (in helping her move), but I had never had the opportunity to actually go for a run while there. Finally, my running shoes got to see some action on Pennsylvania streets.....alone in the fog...

...and with the hubby!

Check out that historic cannon!

How about you? Do you bring your running gear along when traveling? Or do you prefer to take a running sabbatical while on vacay?

 I'm linking this with Meranda and Lacey and Rachel for the Friday Five 2.0, and we're talking about vacations today.

And also with Nicole for the Fit & Fashionable Friday link-up

35 comments:

  1. So much fun running on the road! I usually fit in runs on my business trips but it's trickier on vacations since my husband doesn't run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seldom try to run everyday while on vacation, but I do try to get in a couple of "outings" depending on the number of days we're traveling.

      Delete
  2. Looks like we get to have Chi-Town v3.0 next month! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited, too! I love the Windy City (and all the peeps there) ;-)

      Delete
  3. I love running in different places! I've also been to Chicago and California - both amazing, beautiful places. I also love that Chicago is pretty flat too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Chicago is very flat LOL...even flatter than Iowa ;-)

      Delete
  4. Isn't it funny where all our running shoes have been?
    I always pack mine just in case! I can't resist a chance to see new place while running there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love exploring the places in my running shoes...I can't imagine being on a treadmill when there's a new place outside waiting for me.

      Delete
  5. I do love to run while on vacation too. Can't wait to run over the San Fran bridge when we do Ragnar in November I purposely signed up for the leg that gets to run over the bridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Golden Gate is amazing...it was so surreal running on it

      Delete
  6. I always bring my running shoes! The best way to explore a city! I've been fortunate to run in San Francisco (yes, I got to run across the bridge, both during a race and on my own), and many other places in California. I've also run in Hawaii, Florence, Amsterdam, Nice, France, and Paris. I once ran TO Iowa! My son was living in Bellevue, NE, and it was just a few miles so I had to do it. �� Places on my bucket list include Chicago, DC, and New York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were in DC in late March...but had no time to run when I was there ;-( I do plan on going back, though!

      Delete
  7. I love all the running while traveling photos :) I generally pack my running clothes when I travel but I do often end up on the hotel treadmill just because it's easier. Especially if I'm traveling for work and note anywhere particularly scenic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my vacation runs are on straight routes (out and back...so I don't get lost), or very short ones.

      Delete
  8. I do love running in new places. Great way to see cities and especially beaches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE running on vacation/while traveling. It's my favorite way to explore a new place :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such fun! I ran in San Diego once. It was super amazing. I want to go back and do it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping a log of all the different states (and the cities/towns) I've run in...kind of fun seeing all the different places our running shoes can take us!

      Delete
  11. Yes, I run on vaca too! When taking a cruise, a run on every island is planned. Great way to start the morning and see the islands! One year I ran a 10k in Puerto Rico - The Worlds Largest 10k. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 10K in Puerto Rico sounds so fun! I love that you ran on all the islands when taking your cruise ;-) (that's something I'd be up for, too!)

      Delete
  12. Bringing my running gear on a trip is a MUST - I love running in new locales so it's a requirement for me to at least hit a few miles. I LOVED running in New Orleans earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bringing running shoes is a must on vacation if not just to get a new place in the Garmin memory...;)

    Heading to Turks and Caicos in a few weeks and can't wait to run the streets/beaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh...I'm totally jealous! I'll be eager to see your pics!

      Delete
  14. I usually bring too much running gear with me on vacation! I severely overestimate my desire to run every day while on a trip and typically bring 4-6 running outfits for a week's vacation. I usually end up running 2-3 times. I should probably fix that for next time...but next time would be the time I decided to run more than 3 times! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you do bring too little running gear, you can always reuse it (?) If it's tech gear, it will be dry and ready a day or so later....(not that I've EVER done such a thing...) ;-)

      Delete
  15. I'm so impressed with your ability to find a race wherever you go and have time for it!! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been lucky on some occasions in finding a local race...other times, not so much. I do try to at least get a run in when I'min a "new" place, though.

      Delete
  16. I always bring my running gear on vacation!!! It is the best way to explore a new place for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I've started bring my gear. It is the best way to go exploring ;-)

      Delete
  17. Not always, but I'm often a bit sad when I don't. There's something so exciting about running while on vacation. I do tend to walk quite a bit even if I'm not running.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love running while I'm away from home. Its fun to explore other areas, especially places that I have never been to before, or at least have never run in before. In the past I would make excuses to not run in areas that were very hilly, but I'm trying to be much better about embracing the hills and not resorting to a hotel treadmill all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This past year was the first time I started packing running gear for our traveling. It was so nice to experience the different areas by Foot versus driving by and not paying much attention.

    ReplyDelete