I have a favorite race, the Red Flannel Run (a 5-miler) happening on Saturday (Des Moines, IA). And there's a lot of snow in the forecast for Friday and cold temps on deck for race day (and possibly more snow that morning as well).
But, I have run this race many times, and the cold never bothered me anyway (well, not much #iowatough). After all, this is Iowa, and it's February. Historically, it's always cold for this race, although there have been a couple years where we've had pleasant temps in the 30's and there's usually been ample sunshine.
|Some of my past Red Flannel Runs|
|Yes, indeed! Shorts for a February race!|
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Dilemma #1) This is a favorite race. After all, I have run it every year since 2011 (except in 2014, when we had a scheduling conflict). It's a fun race, with the bulk of the participants donning red flannel in one form or another. I will have serious FOMO if I stay away.
Dilemma #2) Although cold weather is a given for this race, this year there's gonna be a lot of fresh snow on the ground. Des Moines is a mere hour down the road from my hometown...and we received 6+ inches of the white stuff on Monday afternoon, another inch or so Tuesday overnight, 3+ inches Thursday afternoon, and there's more in the forecast for Friday and early Saturday morning. I'm not afraid of the snow, but it does make for a messy (and wet) running experience.
Dilemma #3 My father's oldest sibling, my Aunt Thelma, turned 95 this week! There is a big party/reception for her on Saturday afternoon that I'd really like to attend. This party is in southern Minnesota, a good 3+-hour drive from my house. The race is at 9:00, so I'll be finished well before 10:00, but won't be back to my house until 11:00 or so...which means I'll have to really clean-up quickly and hope for clear roads for the drive to the celebration.
Dilemma #4 I have a friend who is running the race, and they have offered to get my race packet for me. In other words....I will at least get my race shirt, even if I don't run the race myself. But, do I even really want the shirt if I don't participate? I plan on running 5 miles Saturday morning regardless...would I be content with doing the race in a virtual manner? Desperate times, desperate measures?
Dilemma #5 The hubby thinks I should just go for it, and run the race. He knows how much I have been looking forward to it. After all, I do have a special headband and matching gloves I bought for the occasion (#priorities). He offered to drive me to the race, so I could potentially "clean-up" in the car, on the ride home, and save some time.
I do plan to pay attention to the weather overnight on Friday, and make my final decision early Saturday morning. But, I really am torn. Hopefully Momma N will cut us Iowans some slack and grant us light (as opposed to heavy) snow, clear (and safe) roads, and plenty of sunshine to neutralize the cold temps. Am I asking for too much?
|I'm so confused......|
What would YOU do? Have you ever had a favorite race that you've run repeatedly, despite the temps? Ever taken a DNS (Did Not Start) due to weather?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter