Sunday, July 21, 2019

Riding The HEAT WAVE


Shall we talk about the 2019 heat wave?

Recently, Momma N dropped a major heat wave on most of the US. Honestly, it happens every year (most likely, several times, depending on where you call home). But doesn't it always seem to be the "hottest one on record?"

It is Summer, after all, and Summer is historically hot, at least in my area. Instead of cowering inside, wishing it away, I try to make the best of it and enjoy it for what it's worth. As I have said (repeatedly, in recent weeks), I'll take this melting heat, any day, over the freeze of Winter. At least it ain't snowing, right? We gotta keep that frosty mug half full!

But, first things first...

Welcome to the Weekly Run Down! I am so excited to host this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner). If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)

As mentioned, this was an especially warm week in Iowa. We had several days with temps in the upper 80's, all of them with heavy humidity. Going into the weekend, we enjoyed three continuous days of excessive heat warnings. Yikes!

Here's what went down this week in my little world of fitness:

Monday - Never Miss a Monday!
With my MCM 26.2 training on the verge of officially beginning, I planned to run three miles (with surges for the last 1/4 mile of each mile) instead of the usual 2-mile Monday run. Well, within the first 1/2-mile, I knew that plan wouldn't be happening. I re-routed, shortening the route to 2.5 miles, and (then) planned to walk the final 1/2-mile back home. I made it to the 2-mile mark, and slowed to a walk...and caught a glimpse of this little white flag. How's that for timing! We all have to wave the (virtual) white flag from time to time, but how often does one actually appear? Anyways, I'm not sure why my body felt off, but my gut told me to ease up and not be a hero. Did I feel defeated? Not in the least! I was coming off a pretty incredible weekend (a 20-mile bike ride and two AG placings at two very hot and humid races), so I think my endorphins may have finally crashed and my body was simply tired. No. Big. Deal. Sometimes, things just don't feel right, and the best you can do is walk away (literally LOL) and not dwell on it. Maybe a little white flag will magically appear and make you smile.
Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and nature

Tuesday - Wake up and ride!
Typically, Tuesdays are rest/recovery days for me...but as I was going to bed Monday evening, I got the idea to go for a bike ride the next morning instead of "just" the ritual power walk amid the sunrise. There's a 5K route that goes right by my house, and is relatively flat (except for a couple of rolling hills on one of the roads and the gradual hill on my street). I did three laps, and extended each lap enough to make my total distance 10 miles. In case you were wondering, that has never happened on a work day before. There's a good chance it may become a new thing in my fitness regimen, though. Stay tuned.
Image may contain: one or more people, people riding bicycles, bicycle, outdoor and nature

Wednesday - #5at5!
As per usual, I met up with Barb for our weekly early morning 5-miler. The 70F temps felt mild, but the humidity was already thick. None the less, the miles went fast, all my water was depleted, and we had a beautiful, lingering full moon to admire.
Image may contain: 1 person

...and, later, after work, I decided to saddle up and ride a few bonus miles (like, maybe eight). We'd gotten some rain midday, and that knocked down the temps a bit...notice the arm warmers? One thing I'm really enjoying about biking is how much cooler it feels on a hot (or even just a warm) day.
Image may contain: one or more people, bicycle, outdoor and nature

Thursday - How about some HIIT?
Another hot day was already in the works (78F at 6:00 a.m.), but I still enjoy getting outside...this time on our side patio. It's a good thing I'm not afraid of letting others see me sweat! My coach was watching through the window, the next-door neighbors' dogs were cheering me on (loudly, through their window), and even a few passersby in the street gave me odd looks. Anyways, I like combining HIIT workouts with intermittent speed drills since both enhance the other and (ultimately) make me a stronger runner. This was a workout I created a few months ago...including pushups, burpees, arm/shoulder strength moves, mountain climbers, plank jacks and hill sprints (run on the street). Six sets of the circuit took just under 30 minutes, netted me a (combined) mile in running, with 60 total pushups, 30 total burpees, 90 total strength reps (arms/shoulders), and 120 sets of mountain climbers and plank jacks. Needless to say, there was profuse sweating happening.
Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor and nature

Friday - Sunrise biking with a friend!
Currently at my place of work, we have a summer wellness challenge going on. We're on teams of five, and the teams are competing for total minutes of exercise and miles run/walked/biked (over the course of 14 weeks). Fellow friend and team member, Michele, agreed to meet up with me and tackle the hilly 15-mile trail out to the lake on Friday morning, before work. We left my driveway at 5:30 and were back about 75 minutes later. This was Michele's first time riding the trail all the way to the lake (and it was now my fifth time in the past four weeks). Her and and I are already scheming to make it a weekly routine, possibly with more co-workers in tow. Stay tuned for that as well.
Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, outdoor

Saturday - oops! A sleep-in!
You know what they say about the best-laid plans, right? I had planned to do a solo 12-mile run Saturday morning. Well, technically, it was going to be two 6-mile out-and-backs, with the option to stop after the first leg if the temps felt too oppressive (another excessive heat warming was underway). I was going to leave early, on or about 5:00, with the hopes of being completely done before 7:00. Only, I dozed back off after my alarm...and didn't wake until well after 7:00. The temps were already 81F, with a feels-like of 86F, and the humidity was thick. I knew 12 miles would not be happening under those conditions, so I decided to do a 4-mile route instead. I ran the miles pretty steady (9:59/10:02/10:16/10:13) and walked a few times for water breaks. All went well, and I was a glistening and glowing vision of loveliness (NOT!) when I finished. None the less, I was happy to get done what I could. These temps are nothing to mess with...obviously, I chose hot temps outside over a treadmill run inside, but I knew to run those miles easy, brought water, and kept the run short. I also refueled/rehydrated profusely afterwards. There may have also been a nap LOL
Image may contain: one or more people, shoes, shorts and outdoor

Sunday - A Day of Redemption
In light of Saturday's botched long run, I tentatively made plans with Me, Myself, and I to get up early Sunday and head out to (hopefully) redeem my running soul (and soles LOL). I wasn't asking for much, just the remaining eight miles that didn't get knocked out the day prior. We had a cold front come through earlier than expected...rain Saturday evening, as well a substantial drop in temps. The humidity, however, was still pretty heavy. None the less, the conditions were much better for a long run. The miles felt somewhat slow for awhile. Near the 7-mile mark, though, my energy jolted. I decided to re-route and go for 10 miles instead since I no longer felt like I was dragging. Amazingly, the final miles felt good; not effortless, but much better than the previous six. Upon returning home, I decided to take Gustavas for a quick 3-mile ride, which also helped "flush out" my legs. It's not often that a surge of energy appears on a muggy day, especially near the end of a blah run, so I'm glad I was able to take advantage of it...too bad that doesn't happen all the time, right? 
Image may contain: 2 people, outdoor and nature

So, another busy week, this one with excessive summer heat thrown into the mix. Fortunately, I don't mind the heat as much as most people. I seem to have a pretty strong heat tolerance (or maybe it's my obsessive distaste for all things cold). Believe me, I'm ever grateful for that blessing and I do not take it for granted. My running miles totaled out at 22 this week; walking miles came to 13 (but there's more on tap for Sunday afternoon) and biking had its highest mileage, ever, at 36! I probably could have thrown in another strength session, but Thursday's HIIT was substantial. The daily planks, pushups and squats have continued as well. I'm still trying to get more shut-eye, so that continues to be a work-in-progress. The fact that I was so tired Saturday morning indicates more sleep is needed, so I'm choosing not to ignore that sign.

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:
Going All Out
Midnight Madness 2019 15K  Recap
Running Walking Biking in the HEAT

In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair on Instagram...With the warm temps of summer, I often times am dressed in sleeveless tops. Seriously, they are my go-to, and I can just throw on a cardi if the indoor temps are too cold. Anyways, I love a top with funky ruching details...they give the fabric more interest and usually a better, more flattering fit. If it's a bright Kelly green, all the better. Add some jewelry and funky shoes and you're all set. Do you have a favorite summer go-to wardrobe piece? If you want to play along, you can join me on Fridays...post a pic of an outfit, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and tag me(@runningonthefly).

Although the temps have been hot, let's not forget what this past winter felt like. It wasn't that long ago we were stuck inside, hibernating from the Polar Vortex's sub-ZERO temps (-50F with windchill -at its worst- in Iowa). Anyone remember? In an act of rebellion, I posted several pics outside (following my treadmill runs). Don't worry, the reverse will not be happening in the heat (I actually kind of prefer the heat, don't forget).

For example, from February 15, 2019:
It was another chilly morning,
So on the treadmill I did hide.
I powered through a boring run
And took a sweaty selfie outside.

On a happy note, we celebrated another birthday in our household. Our son turned 22 earlier this week...WOW. Time needs to slow down...


And, on a sad note, it was a year ago this week that Mollie Tibbetts went missing. Sadly, I did not know her personally, but our youngest daughter did. Mollie left a big mark on the world, and huge shoes to fill in her service to others and her #bethelight mentality. She not only was a daughter, a sister, and friend (to many), but she also was a runner. She may be gone, but she is not forgotten.
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

So, there you have it! Another Run Down of another week. Your turn... did your weather take a turn for the hot recently, too?  Are you a warm weather warrior (with caution), or do you keep it inside? Have you ever been able to rally a co-worker to join you for an early morning sweat session?

Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

48 comments:

  1. No matter how you slice it, the heat this week made running a challenge. It's always like this in the summer and I'm grateful not to be training for a fall marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, this was a tough week. I'm just thankful my long runs fro MCM aren't crazy long yet ;-)

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to your son!

    You know how I feel about the summer and the heat. I just grin and try to deal with it until my colder seasons come back around, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kim...we are polar opposites on this one LOL But at least we BOTH are grinning (though for different reasons) ;-) ;-) ;-)

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness, what heat! We're hitting 80 tomorrow late afternoon apparently, which is a lot for the UK - fortunately I have early work deadlines so will get up early and push through until I can sit in the cool downstairs! Well done on a great and varied week and I'm sharing your blog with another friend who is considering at-home workouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always gets hot in Iowa, but this last week was at the top of the spectrum. It took forever for summer to get here, so the hot temps really feel extreme since they practically came overnight. Thanks for sharing the blog!! There's a tab at the top that highlights a bunch of at-home workouts and links, should your friend be interested in any of them ;-)

      Delete
  4. As much as I try to tell myself that I would rather run in the heat than the winter we had... the humidity today zapped me and left me mentally blue. But you're right, there are always positives. I'll be channeling your positivity this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this was a tough week! We got some rain, so the temps cooled off...but the humidity is still ridiculous outside.

      Delete
  5. Our heatwave hasn't abated yet (although today is a wee bit cooler). I don't get a lot of early morning runs in because I'm usually out there walking the dogs. I was going to try to run early tomorrow morning, as it'll still be pretty warm, but with being out late tonight maybe not the best plan. See how I feel in the morning.

    I do get most of my runs in outside even in the heat, but I am cautious about it and I have zero problem running on the treadmill, too. You should've have heard all the dire warnings about exercising outside yesterday, but we all survived. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often times let Max out quickly for his morning ritual, then do my run, then take him for a real walk when I get back (or the hubby walks him while I'm running). It's great that you don't mind your treadmill! I wish I had more love (or even respect LOL) for Milly ;-) We also had warnings everywhere about the heat...the heat really is something dangerous, especially for people who aren't acclimated to it. My parents are constantly "warning" me about the dangers of it LOL I know they are just being parents ;-)

      Delete
  6. LOVE that you are riding more Kim! Isn't it great?! I mean my first love is running but with all the troubles I've had, biking has been a real contender, or at least a better friend to me than running has... (don't worry, we are not breaking up ;) )! That's great about your challenge at work and getting colleagues involved as well!! Your team is destined to kick butt!

    I love sleeveless but I don't wear it to work. Two reasons - it's absolutely FREEZING all the time in my building (except in the mornings) and the company is fairly conservative so I tend to not walk around with my half sleeve arm tattoo blazing about.

    Happy birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always FREEZING at my place of work, too. I almost always have a sweater on standby (in fact I have a black one that I just keep there). Walking is for me what biking has been for you...a fantastic stand-in when running wasn't possible. That said, I am starting to ((slowly)) appreciate my bike for the same reason...but I feel guilty, because it doesn't feel like a real workout unless I'm tackling the hilly bike trail)

      Delete
  7. Nice that you've been spending some quality time with Gustavas ;)

    Happy Birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle ;-) Yes, Gustavas is getting more action these days....and my buttocks is finally acclimated to the unforgiving seat LOL

      Delete
  8. No complaining from me about summer heat for all the reasons you listed, BUT it was definitely a doozy this week, wasn't it? Great job getting in all that activity despite the heat and humidity! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this week was a DOOZY! I love the heat, but even I have to admit the high temps WITH all that humidity makes for a definite buzzkill. But, it's only here for a short while, unlike Winter....

      Delete
  9. It's been a week of TRIPLE HHH here too. My biggest complaint is that I feel like I'm sweating non-stop. We don't have central air (because we usually don't have temps near 100!) so it's been an extra sweaty week. I'm not complaining because winter will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to replace some part (???) on our central air unit...and we're glad that was taken care of a couple weeks ago...it would have been miserable without the air last week!

      Delete
  10. It's been hot here as well! It's a bit cooler here in the mountains in SWVA than it is in NOVA, but it's still hot!

    I sort of snickered when you asked what our "favorite summer go-to wardrobe piece" happens to be. Every season I seem to choose one outfit that I feel looks best on me and seem to wear it to every place I go. I refer to it as my "fill in the blank - spring, summer, fall or winter" uniform. LOL

    Thanks for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! IT's easy to grab a favorite wardrobe piece and sometimes forget about what else is hiding in the closet ;-) That's why I do the Friday Fashion Flair thing...often times, I'll scroll through that (via the hashtag) and see an outfit from a year ago...and I'll be like, "OH! I loved that combo...why haven't I done that THIS summer?"

      Delete
  11. Good for you for redeeming your long run on Sunday. Some days we just don't have it and some days are like magic. We do better when we can sync our runs to those days when it feels like magic. We were in Pittsburgh this weekend and it was HOT. We did a longer run mid-week, then did two 3.5 mile runs in Pittsburgh. I struggled in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I 'had it" on Saturday, I just slept in too late and the temps were not in my favor to execute my plan LOL I felt a little tired this morning, for several miles, but I was able to press on because the temps were a little friendlier. And it all worked out for the better ;-)

      Delete
  12. You did great battling the heat. I took the opposite approach. It really was gross here. I hope our heat wave ends soon! Thanks for remembering Mollie. So tragic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been several mentions of Mollie recently, different memorial tributes, etc. It was SO tragic. And the creep that led the cops to her body (and had DNA evidence in the trunk of his car) keeps getting his trial postponed. It's infuriating!

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday to your son! Time does seem to be flying by with my kids too. Great job battling the heat. I am just trying to stay in shape until fall temps come lol. Looking for a new challenge? Try running after biking! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I have ran after biking, and it's tough! I did a du (2015) and we had a 1.5-mile run after 20 hilly miles of biking...we all looked like zombies because none of our legs wanted to move.

      Delete
  14. It was a really hot week here in Maryland!! I’ll be running MCM, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOT!!!! Stay in touch! It's great having other runners doing the long runs ((virtually) with each other ;-)

      Delete
  15. The heat last week was unbearable! It looks like we are getting a break this week. Girl, I get tired just reading of everything that you did this week. :-)

    Excited to follow along on your MCM training. I have decided that is the next marathon I want to do the next time I want to do one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;-) I really have a tough time sitting still LOL Now that I've "re-discovered" biking, I might be doing a little of that on rest/recovery days, because it doesn't feel too strenuous...

      Delete
  16. The heat wave here has been almost unbearable, and it's continuing into this week. Apparently, there is a tropical depression on the move towards us and I'm ready for it to get here already!

    You did great. And I love you in green! You wear it so well!

    Love following your training through this journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks ;-) I'm quite thankful for my tribe of supporters & cheerleaders ;-)

      Delete
  17. Yes, it was a challenging week but I prefer it to rain and snow. So not complaining and I actually ran before work one day - woo hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done!! I'm not a fan of rain or snow either.....though, I have not had to experience much rain this summer (yet)

      Delete
  18. Happy birthday to your son!
    Always hot here in middle Italy and as I use to say: I prefer the rain and the cold (I mean the local cold).
    You are following a very good training routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Well, it's probably obvious, I'm a heat-preference kind of gal ;-) I can tolerate the cold (and we get extreme bouts of that in Iowa in the winter), but I'd rather have the heat of summer....

      Delete
  19. 99.99% sure I've commented when you wore thos ebefore, but I love your cycle arm warmers.
    I cannot with this heat. I can't breathe, let alone run. So glad it's on the precipice of breaking. I hear you though on the breathless "Hottest ever". It's like the polar vortexes. Enough already with media weather hype

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the heat, but even I just about had my fill of it last week. It definitely was too extreme.

      Delete
  20. Oh boy, you are not kidding about that heat. I think I'm in the same boat as you though and I have a pretty good tolerance to it. It's not cute by any means and this is truly the first summer that I've sweat through my hair but I'm sticking it out! Way to kick butt on those runs and allowing yourself to sleep in and relax when your body was calling for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleeping-in thing is an odd thing for me. I usually wake before my alarm, and once my eyes open, I'm usually good for the day....emphasis on the word "usually" LOL

      Delete
  21. Hooray for almost the start of MCM training. Can't wait to follow your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;-) I'm excited for MCM...though, the thought of those final long runs right before taper...well, not so much. Alas, that's the reality of 26.2 training ;-)

      Delete
  22. Ok, one more try for commenting. I also think I handle the heat pretty well, possibly because I dislike the cold so much. Its not easy to run in this weather but I definitely prefer it over the winter weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed....I definitely prefer over-heating (with caution) over freezing my buns off.

      Delete
  23. It was a hot one this week! We've had more days over 90 than I ever remember in the past. Getting out on the bike sounds so nice in this heat - or at least less sweaty than a run!

    ReplyDelete
  24. No matter how hot it gets, I will never wish summer away. That said I will work my workouts AROUND the heat. It's SO COOL here since I returned from Atlanta! You have the cutest coach ever...just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My whole summer is a heat wave. It just gets worse when the humidity arrives like it has this week.

    ReplyDelete