Monday, April 20, 2020

A Runner and a Friend: The Interview


Running friends. Aren't they the greatest?

We all have running friends, and we're quite grateful for all that we share with them as we journey our way to becoming better runners.

We keep each other motivated, encouraged and inspired. Some of these friends willingly get up early on Saturday mornings (year round) to keep us company on a long run. They travel with us to places near and far, all for the sake of pinning on a race bib and crossing another finish line. They celebrate our achievements and hug us through our struggles.

And, if we are truly lucky, they become more than just running friends...they become real friends as well.

Let me introduce to you a gal you've seen several times on my blog, my dear friend, Barb!

At Barb's daughters' wedding, March 2017
Since she's been a regular on my blog, I thought it only appropriate to tell you a little more about her. We'd known each other a long time, and had seen each other at local races. On a whim, we started driving together to some out-of-town races. Before long, we began running together on occasion. Alas, as they say, the rest is history.

Barb is not only a dear friend, but she's also a proud Iowa Hawkeye!
I give you the interview:

How did you become a runner?
I had run a little bit over the years since high school, but really wasn't too motivated to try anything over 5K. After meeting several Leadership Iowa classmates who had all run half marathons, and finding two friends who encouraged me and offered training, I decided to give distance running a try.

What was your first big race? How did you feel about it?
My first race was the Drake Half Marathon in April, 2012. I trained even more than needed. Decided I couldn't race 13.1 miles if I didn't run that far once or twice in training. Finished, got a massage and drove home from Des Moines that day. Glad about my race and finish, but not overwhelmed or emotional. I knew I would keep going with more training and races.

What is your favorite event?
My favorite race is Market to Market Relay. I love my teammates. We have lots of fun making plans and running the race. We have enough food for a week but hardly eat any. We encourage each other no matter who or what happens. I'm excited to run my best to help the team. We've had the best and worst weather for running but no one minds and we are always planning for next year as soon as we're done!
2019
2017
What would you say has been your favorite race experience?
I think my favorite race experience was the Route 66 Marathon. It was a well-organized race. We met lots of people. I'd never been to Tulsa and Route 66 is historically significant. I was happy with my results and got to run 14 miles with a complete stranger who is now my friend.

What has been your worst race experience?
Can't think of a worst race experience, although I never particularly enjoy any of the really cold or wet races. My last marathon (Cannonball Marathon) in Greensboro, NC was a bust...probably because I had higher expectations than my result. But it was a great trip with friends so that made the whole experience much better than the race itself.

Any big running/racing mistakes you've committed?
Can't think of a big mistake - maybe failing to research the NC terrain while we were training for that event.

Lessons learned along the way?
One lesson I've learned is to prepare well for any race. Don't take my body for granted- so train, fuel, sleep, charge all equipment, make sure to have the right gear, and most importantly, run  my own race.

Christmas in July 6-hour ultra (2015), 1st place masters division!
What are some of your favorite running gear items?
My favorite gear would be my Garmin watch and IPod Shuffle. Both encourage me through training and races.

Got any advice for new runners?
For new runners, find some people you know who run. Ask lots of questions, take their advice, make sure you have shoes that are good for you (not someone else) and find a good running buddy!

What makes you keep running?
I started out (eight years ago) thinking that running was an individual "thing" and it was all about my mind, body and soul...so to speak. I quickly learned that running is all about community, and finding that companion who gets me out of bed, out of my comfort zone, shares my passion and pushes me to my limits. I am thankful and blessed to have found a running community and, more  importantly, that soulmate and special friend who shares my passion and joy for running!
Des Moines Women's Half Marathon (May 2017)
I have not counted how many races Barb and I have done together (probably over 100?), nor how many miles we've logged while keeping each other company. I do know how blessed I am to have someone (a half-mile away, none the less) who shares my love and passion for running.

Do you have local running buddies who you run with frequently? Or travel with to non-local races?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up
I'm also linking with Debbie,  RachelDeborahLisaSandra and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup




 By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter
I'm also linking with Debbie,  RachelDeborahLisaSandra and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup




 By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

42 comments:

  1. Nice to get to know the famous Barb! I would love to do a relay one day, it sounds like a lot of fun.
    I'm looking forward to running with my buddies again once this is over. It makes everything a lot more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The relays are fun! I've done this same one as Barb, but with a team of co-workers. The relay had to go virtual this year (originally scheduled for May 9th). ((sigh))

      Delete
  2. She's gem--you're lucky to have such a nice friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Barb, great to get to know more about you! Although I don't "know" many other runners, every time I go to a race I see familiar faces and it's not hard to strike up a conversation. So what Barb said, although running seems like a solitary activity, we're very much a part of something much bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so much more than just an individual thing...though we all grow individually from the experiences we have with our fellow runners. It's kind of our little secret ;-)

      Delete
  4. This was so cool! I enjoyed learning more about Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you make it out to Iowa, you'll get to meet her!!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea for a post! I'm going to do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a lot of fun! I feel like I mention Barb in almost every post, at least the WRD's, so I thought it would be nice for everyone else to see her (and me LOL) in non-running gear ;-)

      Delete
  6. ahhhhh we love Barb!! so good to get to know her a bit more!

    I have a few local running friends thanks to running with SocialMile for so long. While I don't run with them much anymore (certainly not now...) we do still tend to carpool or bike to events together. My running friend and trainer Vincent (whom you "know" from my blog) lives a kilometer away and my friend Martine lives even closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when our running friends live in such close proximity. Barb and live about a mile from each other, so when we run together, we have a 1/-2 mile of "warm-up" before the real run begins ;-0

      Delete
  7. Hi Barb! Nice to meet you! I really agree about never taking any race or distance for granted.

    I have a few running friends, but few that I can actually run with (even before this). I had one I was really well matched with, but she's really been struggling with running the last few years so we haven't run much together. I really miss our long runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy my solo runs, but it's always great to have someone else along for chatter. We have fun exploring new routes (in our small town).

      Delete
  8. It's nice to meet the famous Barb! Now I'm thinking it would be fun to interview some of my running club friends. I miss them, but I know we'll get back together again. I wish I had a crew for traveling to races, lately it's just my husband and I with a racecation squeezed in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having Barb to go to some of the non-local events with has been an awesome perk! The hubby is willing (most of the time), but it's nice having a fellow gal pal, too.

      Delete
  9. Oh it's so nice to learn more about Barb :) You're lucky to have such a great running friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a one of a kind ;-) I've had so many people tell me they wish they "had a Barb to run with."

      Delete
  10. Barb is a gem. You are very lucky.

    I have a few good running friends. We support each other and sometimes we don't run all the miles together because we are at different speeds and are training for different distances. It's still great to have them.
    I used to run with the same friend all the same and we were well matched but due to family issues, she now s runs alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it's race day, Barb is quite a bit faster than me. But for all other running and training, we're pretty equally matched with our paces. Yes, I'm very lucky ;-)

      Delete
  11. It's the famous Barb! So fun to learn more about other runners. I kind of feel like I know her already. Maybe one day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we certainly could arrange a meet-up...I know where you live, after all ;-)

      Delete
  12. It was great to learn more about Barb! Its so important to have running friends to support us and keep us motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS great to have friends like these!!!!! What's funny is some days I'll text her late in the afternoon and say I'm thinking of running a few miles, and she'll reply back in less than 30 seconds and ask "what time?" Or, she'll send me a link to a race she's spotted...and within a couple hours, both of will be registered and scheming a plan to get there ;-)

      Delete
  13. Aw I love this idea!! Nice to "meet" you Barb!! Running friends are seriously the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best! We can never have too many of them ;-)

      Delete
  14. I love that she doesn't have a bad race experience. What a half glass full kind of gal! And I'm glad to have met her IRL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She may just have a selective memory thing (?)...which I tend to have (a few days following a tough race LOL). Remember that awesome MCM a few months ago?

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the introduction to Barb! I was wondering about her. What a great friend! Do people ask if you are sisters??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! No, I don't think anyone has asked us if we're sisters. We get along better than sisters, though #nofighting

      Delete
  16. How great to have such an awesome running friend! She seems like she is inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I finally get to "meet" Barb from your 5at5, LOL! How amazing that she lives so close too! Love this. It reminds me of some of my running friendships. I was actually content with the friends I had, so I never thought I would start making so many new friends... and through running too, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running really opens our worlds...and look what blogging has done! I"m so glad you and I have gotten to know each other (via our screens)...it would be awesome to meet face-to-face someday and swap Hawkeye shirts ;-)

      Delete
  18. Thanks for introducing us to your friend Barb! I know you do your 5 at 5 with her most weeks. I am with her - I love to do relay races. They are so much fun and right now, the socialization looks even more appealing than ever! Aren't running friends the best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relay races are so fun! I have done the same relay that she mentions, but I've been on a team with a bunch of co-workers. She's asked me to break ties with my team and join hers (and I have been tempted because I Know most of the gals on her team LOL).

      Delete
  19. Hi Barb! What a fun story, and I love that you guys have your own, special running routine. I'm so glad you have each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have our own special kind of "Crazy," especially with the 5:00 a.m. runs. They were originally my idea, but she's always been on board. Now, it's a toss-up on who initiates the evening-prior check-in to see if the next morning's run is "on."

      Delete
  20. It's nice to get to know Barb a little better. Gotta love a runner whose first race was a half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Barb! Nice to meet you!
    My #1 running and travel buddy is my husband. I definitely lucked out with him - we enjoy the same types of races and run around the same pace. But he gives up on me with some of the longer ultras, haha. BUT he is a good crew chief in those cases !

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is perfect! I think you mention her in every post--LOVE it!!! Thanks for letting us get to know her a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I so love this idea, and enjoyed getting to "know" the person behind the 5 at 5s. Also, love your dress at her daughter's wedding.
    Totally agree with her about the iPod shuffle. I was so sad when mine died

    ReplyDelete