Thursday, July 23, 2020

100 Days of Walking


I may be a runner, but go ahead and call me a walker, too.

Honestly, I will not take offense to being called a walker. Some runners shun walking, and may even be ashamed to walk during a run or a race, but not me. After all, walking has served me quite well, even before April 16th.

What's so significant about April 16th? That's when the Outdoor Walking Streak began.

Even though the temps weren't anything too warm yet, I decided to commit to daily walking. Actually, the daily walking wasn't that big of a commitment (since I walk a lot anyways, especially on my non-running days). I wanted to up the ante a bit, and see how many consecutive days I could walk outside
 
Thus the Outdoor Walking Streak came to life.



I have always enjoyed walking. Before I became a runner, I did a lot of power walking. I have long legs (and decent-sized feet), so I can walk faster than some can run. That's not meant to be boastful; that's just what I was given. But please, don't be jealous. These long legs make for a very awkward stride when it comes to running (I've seen myself run...it's the polar opposite of graceful LOL).

Walking was my saving grace when I was sidelined three years ago, following my surgery. I'd just finished Grandma's Marathon, so I had a strong endurance base and I didn't want to lose it. Although I was forbidden from running for three months, my surgeon gave me the green light to walk. So, walk I did.

Let me remind you summer is my favorite season. I dearly love summer running and was momentarily heart-broken at the prospect of not lacing up and getting outside. I quickly realized that I could substitute walking for running, so it became a daily ritual. Within a few weeks, I was walking anywhere between 2-5 miles on the daily. I was getting outside, seeing all the sunrises, and maintaining my cardio, strength, and endurance. As a result, my pity party was very short-lived and my rally-back to running went especially smooth a few months later.

In recent years, I have utilized walking as one of my recovery day go-to's. I'm not a daily runner (except for a few weeks each winter when I do the Runner's World Winter Streak), but I am not one to sit idle on the non-running days. Sure, I have numerous other cross-training things to keep me busy, but walking requires no equipment, can be done anywhere (on lunch breaks, for example), and is a great low-impact cardio option. 

My appreciation for walking made for a pretty easy walking streak. I'm an early riser, so it wasn't a big deal getting up and out the door before 6:00 most mornings (often times earlier). There were some days where I only walked one mile, but most days had at least a 2-miler at the minimum. Occasional days were blessed with a lunch walk (and chats with blogging gal pals, via FaceTime). Many days also had an evening walk, with the hubby and Max (our dog), as a bonus.


Total miles walked, thus far, has been 268! I should mention that all of these miles were from intentional walks, and they all have been outside (no treadmill time). I don't wear a fitness tracker, so these stats are from actually lacing up and walking on pavement (not from total steps accumulated over the course of a day).

A perk, that I hadn't realized, was that this Streak gave me the opportunity to get a little more mileage out of some of my "older" running shoes. These are shoes that are past their prime for running, but still have some good walking miles left in them. This, in turn, saves the "good" running shoes for actual running.  

Anyways, I've made it to 100 days...what's next? Well, I'd like to knock out another 100 days, and I'd like for all of those days to be outside as well. Heck, Milly is in hibernation right now, and I'm perfectly happy to leave her there for the time being. You all remember Milly, right? My nemesis, the treadmill...



So, that's what I'll be celebrating this weekend...100 days of outdoor walking. For some, it's probably not a big deal. I do so much walking, it's just routine for me...but 100 does sound pretty sweet.

Have you ever done a walking streak? Do you utilize walking as a recovery vice? Ever tracked just how many mile you've walked in a week, month, year?

I'm also linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 

Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram Twitter Pinterest

11 comments:

  1. Unless the weather is really bad, we walk the dogs every day. I used to track that but I don't anymore. Most days it's only about 1.5 miles. When I go to my mom, which involves a lot of sitting, I take a walk when I get there & another before I leave. I can actually get pretty darn close to 10k steps on those days, despite almost 4 hours in the car!

    I've always loved walking, too. And I don't think you're boastful -- I know there are lots of people who can walk faster than I can run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to walk Max every day as well, usually twice. It's been so hot, though, we've been cheating and just letting him use the backyard LOL

      Delete
  2. That is fantastic! People with dogs definitely are used to get in the daily walks. I have been doing lots more outdoor walking the past few months and I plan to keep it up. I will be more excited when it's a little cooler though. Impressive walk streak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think walking is just so under-rated. I know it takes longer than running to get from point A to point B, but so what? There's plenty see along the way ;-)

      Delete
  3. Walking is the best recovery! Even before the shutdown I would try to walk a bit at lunch just to get some movement and now the dog gets a bonus walk at lunch. On my rest days I "commute" to work by taking a brief stroll outside.

    Before I was a runner I used to be a treadmill incline power walker and the intensity was right up there with running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, same here...I was doing a lot of walking already before the COVID crap hit the fan. It's just so good for the body!

      Delete
  4. Summer is my favorite season too and I have walked in almost every race I have ever done. I love taking walk breaks - just a little mental vacation in the middle of a tough race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always taken walk breaks in races, too, especially at the water stands. Zero guilt, zero remorse. In fact, I think it has always helped my pace because it gives me a short recharge.

      Delete
  5. Great job with all your walking! I am a big Walker as well. Even when I do my double digit runs I still walk my dogs usually 2 miles each evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max loves walking (well, until his knee wonked out on him...but that will be fixed this next week). I can't imagine just leaving him in the back yard...

      Delete
  6. Nice walking! As someone without a car, I naturally have to walk a mile or so if I want to run errands. I've let myself off trying for 10,000 steps a day during lockdown but do try to get out for a walk on my non-run days. And of course there's no shame in walking during a run - my ultra was over a year ago but I'm still in the habit of walking up hills!

    ReplyDelete