Monday, August 31, 2020

Best Running Advice: Be Grateful


I have been an avid runner for over 15 years.

I have received a  lot of valuable advice in that time. The advice has come from running experts, coaches, online research, and fellow runners. 

I know what shoes are best for my feet, the value in warming up (and cooling down), and how to pace myself in a race of (almost) any distance. I have learned to run my own race and to opt out of the comparison game. Although I'm still very much a work-in-progress, I'm thankful for all that I've learned.

The most valuable lesson, though, has come from my own experience...and that is to always be grateful.

Gratitude, for me at least, stems from a positive attitude. Not every experience in one's running shoes is gonna feel victorious or euphoric. The key is finding something good, even when things feel quite the contrary. 

Some examples:

Be grateful for the heat on the streets, because I'm able to be outside in the sunshine. Not every runner has that option (depending on their work schedule, family obligations, time constraints or injury status). If you can learn to appreciate a hot, sweaty run, you'll be able to withstand most anything. Your cooler-season running will feel much easier


Be grateful for the treadmill (if you have access to one), because it can be a necessary option if/when you don't wish to be outside. As much as I curse, belittle and begrudge my treadmill, I am thankful I always have it as a back-up plan (more like a last resort LOL).


Be grateful for the wind in your face, because it will cool you off on a hot summer day. Granted, it's not always fun to fight the wind, on foot or on wheels, but it can serve as a cooling vice. It's a slightly different scene in the winter, when the wind feels too cold most days...it is then that it acts as a character-building, mind-over-matter test of one's true grit and determination.


Be grateful for the hill that nearly killed you, because you will be stronger for having fought it. Hills not only help us build strength (by fighting gravity), but they also increase our cardio output because of the stronger, more concerted effort needed to climb them.


Be grateful for the DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) that make you wince with every step, because that's a sign that you worked your muscles well. They will be strengthened from the workout that made them hurt.


Be grateful for the early-morning "brain fog" that has you yearning for an extra hour of sleep. Getting up early, for a "wake-up workout" will help you jump-start your day. Even better, take it outside...the sunrise will invigorate you, and make it all worthwhile. 


Be grateful for the ability to walk when you're not able to run, because there are many side-lined runners who don't have that as an option. Yeah, speaking from experience, it's really tough being forced into a running sabbatical. Currently, both running and walking are off limits for me, and I can assure you neither will be taken for granted upon their return. 


Bottom line, I have learned to be grateful for all things fitness, especially every run that I am capable of doing. Not every run is fast, far or easy...but every run has something to appreciate.


What are your thoughts? Do you appreciate every run, good or not-so-good? Have you ever been sidelined? If so, for how long? Did you have a new sense of gratitude upon your return?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up



I'm also linking with Debbie, DeborahLisaLaura and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup
Runners' Roundup



25 comments:

  1. I am right with you, Kim. This is really the best advice.
    I have been sidelined for nearly two months now and I am grateful for every baby-step back into running.
    Being able to run is a privilege, no matter how hot and humid or cold and windy it is.

    It's good that you still have Gustava and strength training. You will soon be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, thank you, Catrina ;-) I always appreciated the sport of running, but when it was taken away from me three years ago, I REALLY appreciated EVERYTHING about it. Now, I'm feeling that way about walking LOL

      Delete
  2. Yes! We GET TO DO THIS. So far I've only hurt myself once, I did something to my hips and had to take a few weeks off, and every once in a while my body lets me know that I need to drop my volume. I think that every runner will be faced with injury at some point, so knowing how to cope with not being able to run is a skill that all runners need to know. Each passing day is one day closer to the day when you'll be able to run again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all need to learn how to "not run" and survive while things heal. It's a lot tougher than one would imagine. One thing I thought of all the time, three years ago when I was sidelined, was that I'd gladly trade places with everyone who whined about the summer heat LOL

      Delete
  3. I've been lucky that most of the times I've been injured I haven't had to take a lot of time off. Or maybe I should've but didn't.

    I'm a pretty grateful person, but you're just not going to convince me to be grateful for the horribly hot & humid runs, LOL!I am grateful when they're done -- does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Judy, you can be grateful that you had the courage to run those hot runs, and you had the strength to finish ;-)

      Delete
  4. Being grateful is the best advice not just for running but for life.

    I have been injured and that has always made me more grateful than those who have never taken time off.

    I am grateful for friends to run with and sunshine among other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I don't wish injury on anyone, but it does teach a lot of valuable lessons in not taking anything for granted.

      Delete
  5. Well put! I am grateful for the health and happiness of my family :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, Kim! We really should be thankful for what our body can do every single day (and grateful to ourselves for keeping it that way by working out!). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, San ;-) It's easy to go through the motions and not be satisfied with how fast/far/often we can run. But bottom line, if we GET to run, we should be thankful for that. A lot of people aren't as fortunate.

      Delete
  7. It's so important to be grateful for running, even when its not easy! I've had plenty of injuries that have truly taught me to appreciate everything about running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I believe a little bit of gratitude goes a long ways in appreciating the simple act of running ;-)

      Delete
  8. Being grateful for running is fantastic advice and something I can forget about. Thanks for the reminder my good frend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never really thought much about it until my surgery in 2017. Since my rally-back, I have had a new appreciation for everything my body "gets" to do...it's really helped me get through the tough races/runs and bad weather LOL

      Delete
  9. Totally love this advice to be grateful. I've been REALLY trying to focus on being grateful this year. Sometimes it's hard because of all the sadness in the world, but I'm grateful that I'm able to lace up my sneakers and run or workout every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...I am so thankful I'm able to lace up everyday as well. I don't need to run daily, but I do need to be outside and in motion.

      Delete
  10. Injuries and setbacks always increase gratitude for running. I really miss how much I was able to run before covid, but I am grateful to be able to run at least a bit right now. I hope you continue to heal up well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I'm not always grateful at the time (95+ heat does make it a little hard) but I am thankful I've been able to run for almost 30 years with rarely any injury. Here's to 30 more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thirty years is pretty monumental! I agree, it is tough to be grateful as things are happening, but if you're able to look back with fondness that's definitely better than having regrets.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I deleted my other post because I had copied the text from another reply. Sometimes I publish my reply and then it does not post. Here it is again.

    OMG, this is awesome! I love it. You always have a great attitude with everything. I too am grateful for everything you mentioned. I've also had my share of injuries and had to stop running but then I do look forward to starting again.

    Everything you posted here should be published in a magazine or online. Love it!

    Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful and such a great reminder to appreciate the many things we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete