Thursday, September 3, 2020

My current coffee "situation"


My current coffee "situation" is not like anything I could have imagined a few weeks ago.

Things aren't fabulous, but they're manageable. Fortunately, I'm not prisoner to a pity party, nor am I dwelling on the things I'm (temporarily) not able to do. Again, it's that "big picture" perspective. Knowing that I have 100% control of my attitude is pretty empowering.

That said, there are a few things I'd like discuss over coffee. Care to join me? 

Over coffee, I'd share my elation of my first-ever appointment with a podiatrist. Right? How can that be so joyful, given the reason I was there in the first place? I'll tell you...He did confirm the stress fracture (so there's no "what-if's" to worry about), but he gave me his blessing on biking. Not all stress fractures are biking friendly, so I'm feeling all kinds of gratitude that mine will allow me to be active outdoors while things heal. I'm telling you, gratitude is everything.

Give me a high-5, Gustavas!

Over coffee, I'd confess to playing a risky game of Tempting Fate, and that I had ordered a couple more funky bike jerseys. Trust me, I was being extremely cautious on the bike, and was not feeling any pain or strain on the injured part of my foot. Still, I knew there was a chance that biking could have gotten the thumbs-down from the podiatrist. Thankfully, everything played out favorably, and these new jerseys will see lots of action this next month.  

I may have a new obsession

Over coffee, I'd tell you about the latest lemons-to-lemonade idea of mine. I've talked (many times) about the DAM to DSM 20K. Well, this year's event was rescheduled, the route was altered, and (finally) it had to go virtual. The swag arrived this week and, with my stress fracture, the 20K "race" will not be happening on foot any time soon, virtually or otherwise. The hubby also was registered, but had not trained at all (yeah, go figure LOL). So, Friday morning, we're biked the virtual D2D 20K instead of running it. Hey, if 2020 can make its own rules, so can I (though I will not be submitting my finish time LOL). 

Ready to ride...in last year's shirts

Over coffee, I'd admit to how much I miss running. Yes, I miss it a lot. That said, I don't miss it enough to be even the slightest bit tempted to risk doing a "test run." I've been side-lined before, and I had a successful rally-back because I didn't rush my recovery. And I'm not going to rush this one either. Besides, with no races happening, there's no FOMO or DNS's to worry about. The timing of said injury couldn't have been more perfect.

I will run again...

Lastly, over coffee, I'd share that (ironically) it's really the walking that I miss the most. That was my everyday routine (especially three years ago, for that "other injury"), but this go-round that's not an option. Thankfully, Gustavas is at the ready and eager to keep me company. I think I'll be alright. 

We got this. Onward!

Anyways, that's it for now. 

Your turn...what would you share over coffee? Have you ever substituted biking (or another activity) when running was not allowed? Given the circumstances, would you ever consider biking a virtual "running " race? 

Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.

The Ultimate Coffee Date

I'm also linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 



Are you following me on social media?

Let's connect : Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter

21 comments:

  1. That's great that the podiatrist said you could still bike! (Not so great that its a stress fracture, but at least you know for sure.) When I've been injured I've used my spin bike, but it gets really boring really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not happy top have a stress fracture, LOL, but I am glad to have a definite answer. And, YES, I am so happy that I can be on the bike. I've only been to one spin class, so I don't have enough experience to have an opinion, but I think I'd get bored on that, too. I just need to be outside, with constantly changing scenery.

      Delete
  2. Alleluia for being able to bike! Did the podiatrist tell you how long you and Frank will be hanging out?

    I like that you and your hubby will be biking the 20K - gotta be creative, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No time frame for my time with Frank...but he did give me permission to wear my running shoes, on occasion, because of their hard soles and support. One advantage of those stability shoes LOL I'm glad I came up with the idea to bike the D2D, totally sitting it out would have been a bummer.

      Delete
  3. Although nobody ever wants to be injured, you are so right, the timing is perfect since there are no races anyway. I think all the biking you are doing is wonderful, and heck yea, do those virtual races as bike rides! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. I'm not thankful to be injured, but I'm glad it's quite the opportune time for being sidelined from running. Glass half full!

      Delete
  4. I’m glad you have a confirmed diagnosis and that cycling is approved. Aren’t cycling jerseys fun? I try to wear bright ones if we’re riding on the road, but then realize I have a bright orange helmet for visibility anyway. When you have a stress fracture the LAST thing you should do is test your recovery early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of running has not even entered my mind. I'm just thankful I can ride the bike and explore the biking fashion scene ;-)

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad that you made the DAM to DSM 20K virtual race work for you given your current situation of not being able to run. Biking the virtual race was such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to do more virtual biking now that I've done it once LOL For me, it was a win-win solution ;-)

      Delete
  6. So sorry to read about the stress fracture, Kim. Your attitude is fantastic! You are doing great with your biking. That is a good idea for you and Hubby to bike the 20k. It's a win-win!

    Love those new bike jerseys. Cute jerseys like that are ALMOST incentive enough for me to start biking more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost enough incentive?LOL Well, I still haven't bit the bullet on the padded shorts...but those are probably next on the "needed" list.

      Delete
  7. I am really glad that you have biking for that cardio fix. Great idea to bike that run course. You will be back before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't express in words how much I'm loving biking right now. It has been such a great alternative to all the other stuff I'd normally be doing.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you know it is definitely what it is, but can still cycle. I rather famously cannot ride a bike - although I'm not wonky in life or running, when on a bike my different leg lengths show up and I fall over sideways! When I have been sidelined by a intercostal muscle infection and a cracked rib or two, I've gone for stationary bike (the recumbent kind) and the cross trainer without the arms. Able to read on the former, too. I have cancelled the gym but have both at home, though I am uninjured at the moment. Heal well, foot bones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the best lemonade maker I know! Glad biking got the official nod from your podiatrist. Those are some fun bike jerseys! I think biking the virtual race was genius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My biggest take away is that I don't have a plan B if I couldn't run. So I should probably do something about that.... I probably have more races than I can do in the time allotted this fall, so it's quite likely that I will be taking the swag now and earning it later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you can bike on! Biking saved me several times with stress fractures in my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sooo happy that your podiatrist gave you the go-ahead with biking! I've been on a roll with buying new bike jerseys recently, too! I think bike clothes are a lot cuter than running clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that you can still bike! I would really miss walking, too. I probably wouldn't miss running initially, but then eventually -- especially because now it's really more my kind of running weather!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear about your stress fracture but I'm glad you're still okay to bike! Yay for Gustavas! :P I'd probably consider biking a virtual "running" race too if I couldn't run it (and it was safe to bike it)!

    ReplyDelete