Sunday, September 27, 2020

Rewinding back to Summer


I'm all about Summer.

The temps. The sunshine. The warm breeze(s). The proverbial "glistening and glowing" following an outdoor workout. It's all good, and thankfully, there was plenty of it this past week. 

Even though we are now on the dark side of the Autumnal Equinox, and the daylight is decreasing on the daily, this past week gave me a brief rewind back to Summer. You can bet I was outside, enjoying every last minute of it.

Before I give you all the details, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



Here's what went down in my little world of fitness this week:

Never miss a (double ride) Monday! As has been the routine in recent weeks, I got out early (in the o'dark thirty hours) for a short 5-miler to start the day. After work, I met up with my gal, Barb, for 12 #HappyBirthdayBarb miles.  Even though the morning temps were borderline chilly (low-50F's), by the afternoon, we were flirting with the 80F's. No complaints!


Taking-it-slow Tuesday. The day started with an upper-body burn, featuring slow-motion reps (several sets of hammers, curls, tri extensions, shoulder presses, rows and cross-body curls). Have you ever tried slow-mo reps? It's amazing how much of a burn a 12-pound weight can give you when you do the reps s-l-o-w-l-y. By the way, lacing the shoes is optional if you're just standing in place.

 

Later, I had a follow-up appointment with my podiatrist. Good news! The X-ray showed things are healing well. He said I could start putting some weight on the foot this next week (just casually, not for extended walking). So, that called for a celebratory 8.25-mile ride after work.


10-mile wakeup Wednesday.  Another o'dark thirty ride under a clear sky, no traffic and semi-warm temps. Total tranquility if you ask me.


Triple-threat Thursday. Honestly, I never thought I could enjoy the early mornings on a bike as much as on foot, but I was wrong. Thursday's 6-mile ride was nothing short of perfection. After work, the hubby joined me for ride #2 of the day, and I let him choose the route...how do 12-miles of hills sound? My hammies were shot by the time we returned home, but it was a hurts-so-good kind of feeling. I also did upper-body workout #2 of the week that evening, so I slept quite well, thank you very much. 


Shake-out ride for Friday. I have long been a fan of shake-out runs the morning after a tough (or long) run, so Friday morning's 5-mile ride was of that same strategy. My quads were entertaining some DOMS from the previous evening's hilly ride, so I kept the ride short and I kept it flat. And that sunrise! All better.


Long Ride Saturday. Since the #LongRunSaturdays are on sabbatical for the time being, long bike rides are happening instead. I got out for an earlyish 8-miler, then the hubby and I met up with some friends for a group ride. Let me just say...these rides have been so much fun! We returned to the Chichaqua Valley Trail (about 30 miles away) and rode from Mingo to Bondurant, had lunch, and rode back...about a 28-mile round trip (giving me 36 total miles for the day). I might have taken a short nap upon our return home.


#MilesForMollie on Sunday. Mollie Tibbitts, a fellow runner (who lived 20 miles from my hometown), was brutally taken from us just over two years ago. Since I'm not able to run (or even walk) right now, Gustavas came along, with the hubby and Barb and myself, to the annual Mollie Tibbitts Memorial Run. So what if I was the only biker there; I was not missing this special tribute for anything. Sometimes it's all about the cause...the miles and the manner are irrelevant.  


 This was a pretty busy week. The two upper-body workouts really felt good, but o.u.c.h. Thursday's hilly 12-mile ride sufficed as my lower-body strength work this week. Biking has really turned into a fun, relaxing and energy-inducing (depending on the day and/or the ride) endeavor. I'm quite thankful to have it as my main poison right now. This week saw 100 miles with Gustavas. Gulp. I didn't realize I was cranking out that kind of a number...looks like this next week will be scaled back a bit. 

In case you missed out, here's what else went down on the blog this week:

Riding Through the Last of Summer

All Fueled up with SiS

stress fracture 'fessions

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair!  Friday's temps were tricky. The air was fresh, but warm. The wind was psycho. I opted for a favorite sweater (with a light cami underneath) and a fun scarf. Look closely, the scarf has dog paw prints. As always, you're welcome to join me on Fridays...post a pic on Instagram, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and be sure to tag me (@runningonthefly).


In Friday's stress fracture 'fessions post, I mentioned my #sfxbikestreak...a biking streak that I've been doing since August 22nd. As this post goes live (Sunday morning, September 27th), my total biking miles are now at 439. I don't have any goals as to how many total days (currently at 37) or how many total miles I hope to reach. Living in Iowa, outdoor biking will not be my reality once the colder weather sets in, so this streak will have a finish line. I do have a stationary bike, which I've never used (handed down from my sis-in-law).  I fear the stationary bike may be as enticing as the treadmill, so I'm not banking on that as a desirable indoor option. Stay tuned to see how this plays out. 


   

So, there you go. Another week down, another week closer to recovery. All is well.

How are things in your world? Fall weather? Summer rewind temps? Virtually racing?


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

37 comments:

  1. Fall weather somewhat here - but we had a nice warm weekedn which is my favorite type of weather! Coolish in the morning and warm during the day makes for perfect running and hanging out! Congrats on the biking streak - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to have summer weather back last week! It's going to be cooler this week, but still somewhat summer-like.

      Delete
  2. I love how you have really embraced biking so much! Good news on the foot. Hope it continues to improve. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah ;-) Biking has really been a great alternative for me with this stress fracture. I'm grateful to have it!

      Delete
  3. Yes to virtual racing, yes to Summer rewind toward the end of the week. As much as I'm enjoying the cooler temps I don't mind a little Summer here & there either.

    Hurray for good news from the podiatrist. You might have to invest in Peloton if you need to use the stationary bike -- it really does help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, and as much as I LOVE summer temps, I don't mind a little coolness...I'm just in no hurry for Fall to hit us hard. I know what's coming next, and it (usually) ain't pretty LOL

      Delete
  4. Good work and good news on the foot! I quite like a stationary bike because you can read a book as you pedal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the hubby has used our stationary bike either...I don't know if it has any bells or whistles or different speed/resistance options. Stay tuned...

      Delete
  5. Love your Friday scarf and yaya on the good news form the podiatrist. I love how you've adapted to cycling.
    Mollie TIbbets two years ago. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been two years since Mollie's tragedy. And the creep is still in jail, awaiting yet another change of venue (and COVID delays). It's just sickening...

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you got good news from the podiatrist this week, that's great!
    If you need a good stationary bike recommendation, you know I have one for you, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on hitting the century mark in one week on Gustavas! That doesn't happen outside of the elite world in running. Here's hoping for a warm-ish fall as you complete your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be cooler this week, but not crazy cold...yet. I'm just not ready for my summer to completely disappear...

      Delete
  8. Great to hear you received good news from the doctor! I hope you continue to heal quickly. I'm sure there's plenty of people who will sell you on the Peloton, haha! I was with my sister this past weekend and she absolutely loves hers and all the workouts she can do with the app...which you already know from all the recap- linkers who love it.

    Thanks for hosting the link-up! I'm sad to see summer ending as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I can continue on the bike for at least another month, or even Thanksgiving (?). As long as there isn't any snow or ice, I'm willing to keep at it outside.

      Delete
  9. So glad cycling has become such a good alternative for you! And it’s great that your husband rides with you too. Maybe next summer we can do a fondo together. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really grateful the hubby is into cycling as well. In fact, he'd been cycling long before I ever had been, so I think he's maybe more happy than me about this "couple riding" thing. A fondo sounds fun!

      Delete
  10. Great job hitting 100 miles for the week! It was warmer here this week but fall was still very much in the air, not to mention I loved the chilly nights. Can't believe a year has passed since that horrible murder. What a nice way to pay tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually been two years since Mollie's murder, and there still isn't any closure for the family. Change of venues (and COVID) have really worked in the defendant's favor (GRRRRR). I'm glad they've done the tribute run; it's a great way of rallying together in support of the family and honoring her legacy.

      Delete
  11. Glad you're enjoying cycling. And good news on the healing! I've done the bike in the trainer thing when I couldn't run. There's a lot of videos on YouTube--i rode all over the world, lol. It wasn't that bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have considered getting a trainer for my bike; I think I'd like that option better than using the stationary bike.

      Delete
  12. I really didn't care much for my spin bike. Maybe putting my road bike on our trainer would be more enticing? Probably not. I'll stick with my treadmill when the weather is no longer enjoyable! You are crushing it on the cycling!! Glad to hear you got a good report from the Dr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do have my treadmill (more for walking than running LOL) and the elliptical for indoor options. And my stairway! I'm just hoping I can keep biking outdoors for a little while longer for now...

      Delete
  13. That's great that you are healing well! You've been making the most of the bike and your rides sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biking has wound up being way more fun (and fulfilling) than I'd ever imagined!

      Delete
  14. Wow thats alot of biking! So glad you can start putting some weight on your foot. Thats a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the healing is going well...but I am nervous for putting weight on my foot...it's been so long!

      Delete
  15. You are quite a cyclist. Me not soo much.

    Hooray that your is doing better.

    Soon you will be running. Will your bike be jealous?

    We've had fall, then summer and now fall (and rain) are returning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm a cyclist by default, since I can't do much of anything else for the time being. I'm so glad I had it as an option, it's been a lot of fun!

      Delete
  16. I'm so happy that you are enjoying cycling so much (as am I)! Here's hoping all goes well as you start to put a little weight on your foot. Fingers crossed that you have a perfect recovery.

    Thanks for the linkup and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cycling really took me by surprise (both last summer and this year as well). The group rides (as you know) are SO MUCH FUN! I do love my solo rides, too. They are great opportunities to "write" blog posts LOL

      Delete
  17. I'm so glad you were able to ride for Mollie. I can't believe its been 2 years already?!? I remember it like it was yesterday. I suspect stationary bike riding is just as bad (sorry as fun) as running on a treadmill! But having said that, I have many friends who love it!! So glad you can start putting some weight on your foot! Walking and then running is not too far off now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So happy to hear your foot is healing well! I hope this means that soon you'll be back to walks! And then runs ;-)

    We got a few days of cooler morning temps and then back to humidity this past weekend. Though in Destin it felt glorious...further north than us and by the beach so the humidity wasn't nearly as bad as inland where I live. I do agree that I miss the daylight when the time goes back- we were discussing that this weekend, how we will start having to bring lights to our afternoon runs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such fabulous news from the podiatrist! I'm so happy for you!

    Things are going to start cooling off this week. Again. I am so excited and can't wait! It will be nice not to have to deal with all the humidity for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great news from the podiatrist! Hopefully soon you will be running again.

    Girl, you need to get a Peloton. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's great to see how you have embraced your time on the bike! And so happy to hear about the good news from your podiatrist!

    Nice that you were able to ride in honor of Mollie.

    ReplyDelete