Monday, September 7, 2020

Not My Usual DAM to DSM


For everything there is a season...

...and for every challenging circumstance, there is a solution.

As a runner, there are few things more frustrating than an injury. Often times, we can feel the injury gently knocking on the door, other times it comes crashing through the doorway.

The same goes for race cancellations. We've all had a few (or several) of those to face this year. 

And then there's MY reality....

I have a favorite race, the DAM to DSM 20K,(formerly known as Dam to Dam) that I have run every year since 2008. It's the one race I look forward to the most every year, and all 12 years have rewarded me with many fond memories.

All my Dam to Dam "babies," from 2008-2018

the 2019 medal, with the new name change

Enter 2020, and all things COVID wreaked major havoc on all things racing. Races postponed (in hopes of better circumstances down the road), routes altered (to allow for fewer volunteers), and ultimately, most races having to either cancel or go virtual. 

Such was the case for the 2020 DAM to DSM 20K.

Originally scheduled for May 30th, the D2D peeps postponed the race to September 5th with the hope that the COVID crisis would be less of a concern. I think it was in June when they elected to make it a double-loop of a 10K course (in town) instead of its usual point-to-point route (usually the race starts on the Saylorville Dam and ends in downtown Des Moines). This not only would have eliminated the need to bus all the racers out to the start line, but also would reduce their volunteer staff (thus fewer people, for better crowd control). Then, in late July, it was decided it was in everyone's best interest for the race  to go virtual.

I totally understood these precautions, and I supported every decision that had to be made. Still, this was my favorite-est of favorite races. I loved the excitement on the bus ride over. I always snapped a pic of the faint Principal Tower (way off in the distance from the start line), and looked forward to seeing it get a little closer at each mile mark. Crossing over I-80, and waving to the honking cars below was a highlight. And conquering Memorial Hill (and seeing all the flags in remembrance of fallen Iowa heroes) gave me chills and a nasty lump in my throat. 

Not having any of those landmarks would be major a buzzkill, so the altered looped route wasn't too enticing. It would have to do, though. After the race assumed virtual status, a local running group had planned an "unofficial" group run, on September 5th, to commemorate the day (on what would have been the looped 10K route). I had planned on joining said group run...until my stress fracture threw a wrench into my running. 

The swag was over-the-top: tech shirt, buff, key chain, reflective slap bracelet and medal

Fortunately, the idea came to me to bike the 20K "virtual" race. Since the live D2D race wasn't happening, and the true D2D course wasn't being utilized anyways, the FOMO wasn't a factor. Besides, all of the swag had arrived. I wouldn't feel right hanging up the medal or wearing the event shirt without participating in some capacity. 

So, at 5:45 a.m., on Friday morning, the hubby and I met up with Barb (my main running friend) and we set off on our own 20K (12.4 miles) adventure...on wheels.

It was a cool (52F) morning, but the wind was very mild. The sky was clear and we had the waning full moon to light our way (as well as our bike headlights) for the first few miles. It actually made me nostalgic for all those early-morning runs I'd been missing. Oddly, it just felt like the right thing to do. Not able to run (or walk) while my stress fracture heals, I do have my podiatrist's blessing to bike to my heart's content. Thank goodness!


We finished at 6:55 a.m. Although that 1:10 finish time would be a blatant D2D PR for me (LOL), I did not submit it on the race site (for obvious reasons).  


Now, I have to acknowledge that D2D is a road race for runners, and not traditionally for cyclists. I don't plan on biking any more virtual races, nor am I endorsing it as an ideal option for everyone. My circumstances were not like any I've ever had, and since I didn't have the option to run (or even walk) this, biking truly was my only means of participating in a timely fashion. I love this event too much to just let it pass, even if it meant doing things unconventionally. Had this event gone on as planned, as a live race, I probably would have taken a DNS. Since everyone else was doing this virtually, it just made sense for me to participate as best I could. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And, the reflective slap bracelet is a permanent fixture on my bike now, as a keepsake.

So, how's that for a plot twist, in terms of racing!  As I said before, if 2020 can make its own rules, so can I. Desperate times and all that jazz.


Do you have a favorite race, that you've run numerous times? If so, how many times? If your circumstances didn't allow for you to run (or even walk) a race, would you consider biking it (virtually)?  

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


I'm also linking with Debbie, DeborahLisaLaura and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup

Runners' Roundup

By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

24 comments:

  1. I love that you still found a way to do the race, even though it's 2020 and even though you're sidelined. My favorite race ever is my hometown marathon, and this will be my 6th year running. I ran the full course sequentially on the relay team and in a few weeks I'll be doing the half virtually. There is no way that I would ever not participate in that race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! This is one race that I just could not take a pass on. The fact that everyone else was having to do this on their own made the biking (for me, at least) a no-brainer.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant idea, Kim! I would definitely have done the same. Cycling is better than nothing! And a PR, too, haha!

    I don't think I've ever done a race for 12 consecutive years. There are several I've done numerous times, but not in a row. Perhaps the most times I've done a race is our local city marathon, sometimes as a marathon and sometimes as a relay race - I guess that would add up to 8 or 9 times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The IMT Des Moines Marathon (and half) is next month. That also had to go virtual, but I'm going to defer that one. I'm bummed to "end" the streak (I've participated every year since 2011), but I will be back next year for the live race.

      Delete
  3. You made the race your own and I think that's awesome. It was probably more fun to do a virtual bike ride vs a virtual run :) Also, I love all the swag, especially the medal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim ;-) I had not thought of it that way, but I did make it my own LOL And, Yes, biking a virtual was way more fun than running it in my hometown!

      Delete
  4. Not surprisingly, you made lemonade out of a tough situation. Congrats on your virtual race! The swag is super nice and you definitely earned it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I'd be getting the shirt, bib and medal...all the other swag items were a surprise!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant pivoting there, I heartily approve! I did the Birmingham Half Marathon for its first 5 years and was looking to be an ever-present, then I missed one through having had medical treatment in the year and not being able to get back into running for ages (my goodness, I can see how that knocked me right back now), missed the next one, picked it up again, then it turned one glorious year into a marathon and half-marathon on the same day so I would have lost my ever-present anyway as of course I did the marathon! I'm doing a virtual club version in October as we were missing having it to do! But running, as I can't ride a bike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really tough to let an event "pass" when you've take part several times. I've had a few races discontinue, and that's disappointing as well. Good luck with your October event!

      Delete
  6. I run the Freihofer race every year and so far I've never missed it even when I should have.

    I'm not much of a biker but that's a great way to stay active.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biking has really been an awesome safety net, in more ways than one. Now I'm just trying to negotiate the forecast rain this week...first world probs LOL

      Delete
  7. 2020 has been so unconventional (that's putting it mildly!) that I see absolutely nothing wrong with finding a way of making this race your own!

    They really provide some great looking swag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we gotta take a stand and show 2020 that we do have some control ;-) The swag totally took me by surprise...I knew there was a shirt, medal and bib, but the other stuff was a surprise bonus. I'm SO glad I did this via the bike and didn't DNS it!

      Delete
  8. well if there was ever a year not to be able to run the race, I guess this is it. Way to pivot and get it done. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have deemed 2020 as The Year That Anything Goes ;-)

      Delete
  9. A lot of virtual races actually do allow you to do pretty much whatever form of activity you want. I think you did a great job making lemonade out of lemons! I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

    I have several local races that I mostly do year after year -- until this year, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a gal who commented (on the D2D event page) that she was in prime condition to run the race (on the original date), but then got injured. So, she posted a pic of her doing the 20K on her elliptical ;-)

      Delete
  10. That's great that you were still able to find a way to participate in the race! With so many changes any way, it sounds like it just made sense to do your own thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biking the virtual event was my only option this year. Like I said, it gave me a lot of comfort in knowing no one else was doing the actual race either LOL, so there was no FOMO plaguing me.

      Delete
  11. I think riding the virtual race was a great way to get it done! Especially since it was an important race for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This race is really important to me...and it's always the same weekend as the RnR San Diego, which is why I've never ventured to CA to do that race (even when my sister was living there). All of us DAM runners will really be looking forward to next year!

      Delete
  12. Aw, I love this. I know cycling isn't running, but I also know how much you love this race. I think you made the best of it, in a situation where norms no longer apply.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you still did this race even if on a bike. With so many races going virtual right now it makes sense to just do it on our way. Great job!

    I always look forward to the Shamrock Shuffle and the 4 on the 4th of July races. I didn't even do them virtually since I received a refund for the Shamrock Shuffle and did not register for the other one. It will be interesting to see it they take place next year.

    Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete