Monday, February 6, 2023

By the Light of the Moon

 

What did I see on my last (significant) run? 

Well, that would be the Full Snow Moon, of course. The Snow Moon, which is actually the second full moon of the year, is so named for the typical heavy snow fall received in the month of February (source).

Ironically, this full moon made its appearance amidst a slight warm-up (and melting snow), at least in Iowa. You won't hear me complaining about that kind of weather condition, though. This full moon was simply majestic, with a clear sky, and it thoroughly lit the way for another full moon run. 

Yes, another full moon run - my 22nd such run, in fact.

I had heard of doing these runs, under the requisite full moon, from a local friend. He's been doing these for the past several years, and once I gave it a go (in May of 2021), I haven't looked back. 

That first FMR was a bit of trial and error. A group of friends and myself all met around 9:00, with no specific agenda on route or distance. We decided on an approximate 5-mile route that took us out on the bike path, west of town. We'd have a safe trail, limited traffic lights, and (hopefully) a clear view of the moon. Silly me, I hadn't paid attention as to when the moon would actually be rising. We'd made it out to the turn-around with no moon in sight, but it made its grand appearance as we were making our way back towards town. 

The first Full Moon Run, May 26, 2021

These runs have happened every month since. Granted, there have been a few times when we opted to run a day (or evening, LOL) early or a day (or evening) late due to the weather. The full moon is so grandiose, it honestly looks "full" the day before and after anyways, so no big deal.

Most of these runs have been with friends. There have been a few rare occasions, though, when all of our schedules weren't in sync with the full moon's appearance. In other words, I have done a few of these runs solo.

July 2021

Some have asked me why I do these, especially in the summer, when the moon rises rather late in the evening. Well, all I can say is that I'm a night owl. Even before I was doing these moon runs, I'd still make it a point to head outside and marvel at it's beauty. I'm also a bit of an astronomy nerd...so why not combine that with running?

I have to say, there really is nothing quite like experience of going for a run under the glow of the moon. It's quiet, calm and oh-so-tranquil in the winter. With the snow on the ground, you almost don't need any additional light because the moonlight reflects so brightly off the snow.

Amidst the Christmas displays downtown, December 2021

And in the summer? It may be hot (and humid), but hearing the buzz of the insects is rather soothing.


There have been only a few of these full moon runs with no visible moon, due to cloud clover. Yes, it does make for a bit of a buzzkill, but it's still a great opportunity to celebrate the camaraderie of running with friends. Also, it feels very much like a successful search and destroy mission if the hidden moon does eventually show itself (which has happened on several occasions).

playing Hide & Seek, August 2022


I even got in a solo FMR while snowbirding in Florida last winter. That was a unique experience!

Florida's full moon, January 2022

So, there's a few thoughts, reflections and features of this Full Moon Running gig. It may not be for everyone, but it's definitely something I enjoy (and so do a few of my friends). 

Have you heard of Full Moon Running? Ever had any interest, or considered doing one yourself?

 I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up



By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

13 comments:

  1. I love that you do full moon runs! The quietness puts you into a reflective mode and it very special.
    I used to run in the evenings because of work. We would run in a nearby forest. When the moon was shining, we switched off our headlamps and could run in the glow of the moon. The eyes soon got used to the new darkness. Running without lights became my favourite thing to do on these runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! It is so tranquil under the moonlight! It's crazy how much light it emits, and just how bright it can be in the evening hours!

      Delete
  2. I do enjoy full moon runs (or walks), but when I do them, mine are the following morning since I rarely run at night. AND I will always think of you when I see a full moon because of your love of FMR's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of full moon walks in the summer mornings, those are just as peaceful ;-)

      Delete
  3. I love this... I never run before work except in the summer. I love looking at your pics, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely prefer the daylight hours, but the early morning (and evening) runs are nice once in awhile. It's empowering knowing you're out there, mostly alone, while the world is sleeping.

      Delete
  4. This is so cool! I've only ever seen a full moon from my window but it would be so cool to see it while out running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? Yes, you need to get outside sometime when there's a full moon shining ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love that you go hunting for the special moons. You always look so happy when you do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, thank you!!! I just try to embrace all aspects of running, whether it's in the light of day or the dark of night (or early morning, LOL).

      Delete
  6. It is such a beautiful night whenever there is a full moon. I hope we do not get snow this month (Snow Moon). I rarely pay attention to when there will be a full moon and find out when I am outside already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost all of our snow has melted in the past couple days...and we have more in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow (#FacePalm)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like fun, but its definitely not for me! I'm sound asleep by 9:00 lol. I do get to see the full moon in the mornings sometimes!

    ReplyDelete