Saturday, November 18, 2023

Falling for Fall (finally)


Many runners proclaim fall as their favorite season.

This past week, almost had me understanding why. I mean, the temps were in the 50's for the majority of the week! Although we had daily wind (I ask you, "What's new?"), the sunshine was simply magnificent. It felt more like early fall than pre-winter. Momma N must have been indulging in some naughty beverage(s), but she "righted" herself once the weekend arrived.

No doubt, she likes to keep us guessing...  

Before I disclose all the deets of the week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here's what went down, this week, in my little corner of the universe:

Sunday? Recovery:101
Remember Saturday's cross-country 5-mile race? And the Iowa football game? Oh, and a late night of live music? Yeah, my body (and mind, LOL) was needing some downtime come Sunday. I got out for a 2-mile walk in the early afternoon, and a 3-mile walk in  the evening. I think there also was some napping, stretching and foam-rolling (not necessarily in that order). The day is kind of a blur...


Monday? Back in action
The forecast was showing a beautiful afternoon on tap, so I kept it inside in the morning with 11 miles on the bike, and some upper-body and core work.
 

After work, I met Barb for four miles of running (and chatting) fun. This was my first post-workday run since the time change, and Holy Wow, that daylight sure disappeared quickly! The low-60's temps were fabulous; the fast-approaching darkness, not so much.


Tuesday? Low-impact fitness for the win
Nothing too grandiose happening, but I didn't keep idle. After a 3-mile "warm-up" on the bike, I did some upper-body and core work. There also was a mid-morning 1-mile walk at work and a 2-mile work before dinner. 


Wednesday? Double workouts on deck
Although we had mild unseasonably warm daytime temps, it still was chilly in the early hours. I met Barb and Allison at our "spot" for the weekly #5at5. Michele and I got outside for two different 1-mile walks at work, and there was another 2-mile walk after work. The evening ended with 16 miles on the bike.


Thursday? Always a busy day
Although we had very different settings, it was another fun virtual get-together with Deb.  I decided to join her birthday festivities, and knocked-off 6.6(ish) miles...in some capacity (it's what friends do, LOL). I ran for three miles, walked a mile back to my house, and finished with 2.6 miles on the bike. 
 

After we said our goodbyes, I did some Barre work and another upper-body workout (Peloton).    **Side note: Had it not been for the 18mph afternoon wind, I might have contemplated an after-work ride outside. Yes, it was that nice. 


Friday? Get 'r done
I'd originally planned to do a glutes/leg workout Thursday morning, but "deferred" it to Thursday evening. Come Thursday evening, though, I further deferred it to Friday morning. It was a mere 20 minutes of weighted squats and lunges, via Peloton, and it was a doozy.
 

Saturday? A little bit of everything
I'd been fighting an out-of-nowhere cold most of the week, so I finally caved and took some "nighttime" meds Friday night and didn't set an alarm for Saturday morning. I woke up at 7:30, which goes to show just how much my body needed the R&R. That being said, ugh, there were some blatant DOMS along for the ride (as a result from Friday's glutes/legs extravaganza). Unsure of how far to run, I set out on a 4-mile route, but wound up doing a bonus mile since things things felt better after I'd gotten warmed up (not only was it a cold morning, temps-wise, but the DOMS were nasty!). Back home, I did a 5-mile ride to flush-out the legs a bit further, and also headed back out for three miles of walking in sunshine.


...and Sunday?
The forecast is looking very similar to Saturday - chilly in the early morning, but warming by late-morning. I'm thinking I'll be on the bike, upon wake-up, and outside later for some walking.

So, as mentioned, the weather was pretty nice this week, even though it turned a bit cold Saturday morning. That being said, I still much prefer summer, LOL. Anyways, running had a respectable 17 miles this week. Walking saw 20 miles. Biking had 38 miles. The DOMS from Friday's glutes/legs workout were crazy intense, which most likely indicates that I have been slacking in that area, so that's obviously something I plan to focus on in the next few months. I really love the 10-minute arms/light weights workouts from Peloton...they're short but very thorough, especially doing them a few times during the week.  

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. Yes, I'm still wearing the white skinny jeans, though we're well past Labor Day. Why? Because white is a color too, and jeans are a bit more of a casual wardrobe item (I'd keep the "dressy" white pants for the warmer months, though). Throw on a colorful shirt, a maxi cardi and some funky booties, and you're ready for the seasonal weather.


These Facebook memories crack me up! Apparently, the yellow RUN tank top is a Monday morning favorite in mid-November.


...and, in case you missed the recap of last weekend's cross-country race, the battle wounds really showed their colors in the days following. The bruise on my left shin actually wraps partway around the outside of my leg, is very sensitive to touch and is much darker than the pic shows. My right wrist was quite a sight as well. Suffice it to say I don't do these things half-a$$ed, LOL.


Whew! That was quite a week! Lots of action, some quality time outdoors, and pleasant weather. I really couldn't ask for much more.

How are things in your world? Did you get a nice reprieve from the pre-winter weather, as well? Any weekend racing, or upcoming Turkey Trots this next week? 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

27 comments:

  1. Nice workout week although a bummer about fighting a cold, hope you're feeling better.
    I had something that disturbed last week for me but I'm back now and managed to, by mistake, get back to almost my pre-injury distances with walking. The weather has been very variable here during the week with everything from nearly frost to 55F, sun and insane winds.
    When you mentioned your battle wounds I had to go back and read your race post, that sounds like a lot of fun (except perhaps your battles with the ground)! I'm a big fan of anything hiking/trail/forest related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so great to hear about all your progress with your recovery! Keep up the great work!!

      Delete
  2. Oh I missed your recap of the Living History Farms! Dustin and I ran that race many years ago (pre-blog I think) and it was so fun but yes, quite an adventure! What fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I hear, I got really lucky with the shortened course, mild weather, and fewer obstacles ;-) No complaints on that, LOL!

      Delete
  3. I hope you are feeling better after your adventurous race and your cold! Off to check out the recap. Sounds like my kind of race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold is almost on the way out, and the bruises are getting more faint...

      Delete
  4. Wow! Those are quite the bruises. Ouch! We had very chilly weather for most of the week, but it is Fall. Hope you continue to feel better! Sleeping to 7:30 sounds divine, except that never happens for me. Now you know why I go to bed so early. :)

    Sounds like the recovery is rolling along nicely so to speak. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried going to bed early, and my body and my brain just won't have it, LOL. Sleeping-in is rare, but much appreciated when it does happen!

      Delete
  5. What a week! Nice job with all that activity on the morning and afternoon! It has gotten dark here too so early and it's barely light enough in the morning too. At least it hasn't been too cold yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mornings are pretty dark as well. If I can swing a sleep-in (on the weekend), I might get some daylight for morning fitness stuff, but otherwise I'll be in the dark until spring ;-(

      Delete
  6. Our weather was chilly in the morning but warmed up nicely.

    Hope your cold goes away quickly.

    And of course, I'm running a turkey trot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great week of workouts as always, Kim! I hope your wrist and shin bruises continue to heal. Shin bruises can take a long time to go away.

    To answer your question, yes I'm running in a turkey trot - two if I wanted to! ;-) Oh, and our weather has been very nice for November as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, the shin bruise is fading in color, but still hurts a lot. It's practically in the same spot as when I had my bike crash (back in mid-June), and that one lingered for a long time as well.

      Delete
  8. You did have an active week! I agree the fall temps have been fabulous thus far and refreshing. HOpe those bruises heal up fast. Have a great week and Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has really been a warm fall (except for a few random days back in October). It's a bummer winter is just around the corner...

      Delete
  9. I hope you are feeling better. I’ve been trying to let myself sleep in on the weekends—especially since I’m not doing any long runs these days, there’s no reason to get up at dark o’clock.

    We had some warm weather but it’s shifting back to fall again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing better about getting a few sleep-ins here and there (usually only on the weekends, though).

      Delete
  10. 50s and sunny is my favorite running weather. We don't get too much of that, but I"ll take 60s and sunny too!
    Sounds like you had a fun and active week as usual. I like those battle scars from your race! And I like how you got some extra sleep this week. Sunday naps are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, no Sunday naps happened today...nonstop action once I finally got out of bed ;-)

      Delete
  11. Hee hee yes Sunday must have been a blur after the race and the game;-) I can't believe this gorgeous weather we're having. Oh yes there's snow in next week's forecast but right now it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even looked ahead to see what kind of weather is headed my way...I hope there's none of the white stuff just yet...

      Delete
  12. Blurry Sundays are wehre it's at. We often load a ton of things in on Saturday, meaning Sundays are for chilling out and recovering. Sigh. I love this time of year. 50s and sun are so great, although we've been having quite a bit of drizzly rain right now. Not a fan. I have a Turkey Trot on Thursday, and I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you didn't break anything on that fall! It really could have been bad. I agree- the evening hours are dark far too quick. I'm trying to make the most of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really lucky I didn't break anything! I went down hard, and I'm lucky no one tripped over me, LOL!

      Delete
  14. I agree with you this fall has been glorious and the mild temps are most welcome. Yikes in the fall. Glad you're ok despite some war wounds!

    ReplyDelete