Thursday, February 29, 2024

Post-Leap Day coffee chatting



Coffee, coffee, who's got the coffee?

And, equally important, who is needing some chatter amongst friends? Anyone?

It's time for the monthly coffee chat, where we talk all things (not just fitness). We can drink whatever we choose (hot or cold, mild or strong, day-appropriate or not so much). And we leave feeling all warm and fuzzy. Sound good?

Shall we get this coffee chatting started?

Here goes...

If we were coffee chatting, I'd start with my February stats. Meh, the numbers are, at the very least, better than January's. In all honesty, February felt more like a recovery month, following all of January's shoveling nonsense. My #OptOutside streak is still going strong and I keep very active whether I'm logging miles or not. I realize these stats aren't a big deal to anyone other than myself, but reporting these numbers keeps me accountable. Yadda yadda yadda.


Next, if we were coffee chatting, I'd tell you about the return of the bat. Remember the bat incident form two months ago? Well, I was cleaning out some cabinets in the utility room (a few days ago), and heard some rustling noises. Imagine my surprise to see a big bat swooping at me a few seconds later! This creature looked surprisingly like the other one (it's body was the size of my fist!), so I can't help but wonder if it was the same one. I've heard bats are pretty clever about finding their way back if they've been "set free." Anyways, this one was successfully terminated, so I won't have to worry about it swooping at me ever again.

Also, if we were coffee chatting, I'd express my amusement with the weather. February's weather was CrAzY! It's was unseasonably warm (no complaints about that) most of the month. It had a few abrupt temperature plummets as well. Just this week, I think the 76F Monday temps may have set a new record high! Two days later, we were rocking temps in the low 20F's, with 31mph wind and a sub-ZERO feels-like. Thankfully, those conditions were short-lived and didn't diminish the joy of being back in a tank top and shorts.

Monday: in summer gear; Thursday: back in full-length fleece

I'd be remiss, if we were coffee chatting, to not share my increasing boredom with the spin bike. This recent heat wave had me ever so hopeful to get back outside, on the "real" bike. The wind, however, was a major deal-breaker. We're talking wind speed in the double digits on the daily, thank you very much. Most days, the wind speed was in the upper-teens and 20's, so it was back to the basement. Fingers crossed the wind takes a sabbatical, and soon!

Finally, if we were coffee chatting, I'd mention my excitement to see the definition returning to my legs. Every winter, I notice my legs lose some of their tone, I believe due to the drop in my outdoor power walking. Just this week, I noticed some of the muscle tone is returning. While it may be due to the increased outdoor walking, I also have been doing weekly stair-training. Of course, it may also simply be a self-fulfilling prophesy diagnosis (or a combination of all three of these, LOL). None the less, I'm feeling stronger and the legs are getting back in shape.


Yowza, even with all that chatting, I'm ready for a refill. I'll let someone else have the floor now, LOL.

 So tell me...what would you care to share, if we were coffee chatting? What would your beverage of choice be? Was February a crazy month for you, especially in terms of weather? Ever set a bat free...only to have it return?

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

23 comments:

  1. A bat? Return of the bat? Wow! I hear ya on the weather. It was gorgeous on Monday and was hoping for it to continue throughout the week. Nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we had sunshine everyday, but the wind has been insane!

      Delete
  2. Hmm, i think I would welcome a bat! We have such a bad mosquito problem here, and and bats eat them. Too bad you couldn't relocate your bat to Florida.
    I think your increased muscle tone must be from all the stair climbing! And, the spin bike.... ARRRRRRG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this bat wasn't getting too many mosquitos this time of year, especially from the confines of the basement, LOL!

      Delete
  3. Ooh the bat! That would not go over well here! Interesting observation about the leg definition. Agree the walking is fantastic for shape. For me, it’s the heavy leg strength workouts that do it. Your cycling miles are impressive. I’ve been using my bike far less, I guess I got bored w it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is the one thing that gets scaled-back, by default of the weather, in the winter...which is why I think it's the main contributing factor for me. I'm so glad to be back walking (more consistently) again ;-)

      Delete
  4. A bat? And it returned? Yikes!

    Your collage says it all about how crazy the weather has been. Fingers crossed Momma N has pitty on us and brings spring to us soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was the same bat...at least it looked like its twin, LOL.

      Delete
  5. I love the numbers as well. It helps me feel accomplished and accountable! I would have freaked out about the bat. I imagine all of the stairs you climb are helping your leg definition!

    Your weather sounds similar to ours. We had two days in the low 70’s here and then rain and crazy winds came through and we woke up yesterday with temps in the 20’s. Sigh. I am ready for spring for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EW! i hate bats and that would totally freak me out.

    Our weather has been super crazy... 60 one day and then 15 (wind chill) the next. I am so sick of winter!!

    Coffee please preferably Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready for winter to vacate the premises as well. It's been very mild, for the most part, but enough already!

      Delete
  7. It's pistachio season, so hook me up with a pistachio cold foam cold brew! I love bats so much! I'm sorry this one is sneaking back in! Does it have a nest? Or whatever bats have? Our weather is now warm and rainy (hot rain, for the record). I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea where the bat came from (either time) or how long it's been free-loading on the warmth of my house. Hopefully, it was a loner and there isn't a little family hiding out as well.

      Delete
  8. Ahh, a bat! MY sister in law had a bat in her house that was set free, but I don't know if it came back. Glad this was "successfully terminated" - they are spooky! Great job on the bike - I have been using mine more and more in between runs and while I'm getting back into running and finding it less boring the more I do it! WE had similar weather. Wednesday was in the upper 60s, and Thursday it snowed. I hope it stays mild next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was really spooky! I've heard bats are like mice with wings, but this was the size of a rat. ICK!

      Delete
  9. Yikes on the return of the bat! That would have completely freaked me out. We've had weather whiplash here too and I'm just over it - I think my tolerance for winter wanes as I age LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my tolerance for winter waned many years ago, LOL.

      Delete
  10. Eek! I have never encountered a bat IRL and I hope to keep it that way.

    We did have some cold days in February, but from what I understand the worst of it was while we were on the beach in Punta Cana lol. I am sure that I spent more time outside this February than any other thanks to a certain puppy so I am very thankful for the mild weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful our winter was more mild than usual (other than those 10 days in January, and a few random sub-ZERO days)...but I want my summer back.

      Delete
  11. We "paid" for that record heat with a 50+ degree temperature drop as well. Crazy times! Yikes on the huge bat! Glad to hear its been dealt with! :O

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I almost never want to get on my indoor bike, but once I do I enjoy it. If I don’t plan my workout the night before and stack a ride in there, I might not add a ride.

    I can’t imagine your legs NOT being toned with all you do. I’m sure the stairs tone up everything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for muscle tone coming back! Mine is slowly coming back in my arms (I used to be so much stronger ._.) -- hooray for progress though!

    Last weekend was absolutely gorgeous over here but it was pouring today. Someday the weather will make up its mind!

    ReplyDelete