Monday, April 15, 2024

A Race I Run Every Year


Hands down, my favorite race, every year, is DAM to DSM.

I've been trekking to Des Moines, the first weekend after Memorial Day, every year since 2008 to run this iconic race. 

Formerly known as Dam to Dam, this race was my first-ever long distance endeavor. Like a lot of distance runners, once I got a taste of that long distance finish line, I was hooked. 

Even in 2020, when Covid tried to knock us down, this race persevered (albeit virtually). That particular year, after several postponements, the virtual event took place later in the summer instead of its usual early June date. Ironically (or fortunately?), that was also the year I was victim to a stress fracture. Unable to run, I gladly took part via my bike (since the event was virtual, I allowed myself some grace, LOL).

As mentioned, this was my initiation into the world of distance running. Back then, D2D was a 20K distance.  

pay no attention to the dorky hair (or the white shoes, LOL) I was sporting in 2008
 
The first Dam to Dam took place in 1980. Through the years, the race course remained the same until  2014, when the route was extended to half marathon distance. In 2018, it was decided to close the doors on this popular event. The D2D registration always sold out within days of opening, but in 2018 the 8,000 spots sold out in a couple hours, causing the race officials to add an additional 1,000 registrations (which, in turn, sold out about an hour later). Yes, this race was (and continues to be) that popular to its loyal DAM runners! (2018 recap is HERE)

the final DAM medal, in 2018

Thankfully, another event company (RipRoar) came forward, took the reigns in 2019, and has done a great job continuing the D2D legacy. The route has remained mostly the same (though there have been a few construction hiccups, causing a few slight changes), and the name changed to DAM to DSM. The new company originally promised to keep it at a 20K distance, but decided (in 2023) to extend it a half marathon as well. Nonetheless, this DAM race still rocks!

So, what makes this event so iconic? I'm glad you asked...

The point-to-point race course never gets old! The runners get bussed out to the Saylorville Dam, where the start line awaits them. The first few miles take them through the Iowa countryside, eventually crossing Interstate 80. After climbing a huge hill, the route then winds through several residential neighborhoods. Eventually, the race course arrives in downtown Des Moines, along the Des Moines River, with the finish line at Cowles Commons.


The start line is most unique! Seriously, this race starts on a dam! We're treated to an epic view of the Des Moines skyline and finish line (or thereabouts), 13 miles off in the distance.


The Principal Tower is a prominent landmark that is visible throughout the entire route
. Personally, I find it rather thrilling watching the tower getting bigger and bigger as it gets closer and closer.

Can you see it...right in the center of the pic?

The hill, fondly known as Memorial Hill. This hill is a beast! It's just after the 7-mile mark, and often has more walkers than runners by the time you reach the top of it. When the race was known as Dam to Dam, there would be flags lining the edge of the road, honoring all Iowa armed force casualties since the first D2D in 1980. The flags haven't been there since the event changed names, but the hill remains every bit as challenging (it's nearly a mile in distance and is much steeper than in appears in the pic). 


The hardware speaks for itself.
There's something special about having a set of medals that all look similar. They look like family, and each one has a story to tell.

My 11 Dam to Dam medals (from 2008-2019)

the first four DAM to DSM medals, 2019-2022 (the 2023 edition is in the title pic)

This year, DAM to DSM is on June 1st, and I've been registered since a week past the 2023 finish line. It's a given I'm excited to run the 2024 race and bringing home my 17th DAM medal!

Do you have a favorite race that you simply have to run every year? 

I'm linking this with Zenaida and Jenn for the TuesdayTopics Linkup


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

5 comments:

  1. I knew you would pick this one! It really is a nice race. I love that it's point to point and that you can see your destination from far off. I can imagine that in the beginning, it must seem nearly impossibly far off, but it does get closer and closer!
    I can see why the organisers made it a half marathon - I guess you can attract many more runners that way.
    Have fun with the 2024 race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way you feel about DSM is the way that I used to feel about my hometown marathon. I ran the course first on a relay team and then did the half for a few years. It was my race! I'd register every year as early as I could, and loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I know how much you love this one. I'm so glad it was able to continue despite the change of ownership and I love how you feel about the medals. Such a cool perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having a few local favorite races to run every year too. You know the course and the logistics which just makes everything less stressful

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is impressive you still have the medals. I don't have the room and got rid of them.

    ReplyDelete