Saturday, April 13, 2024

Eclipsed by the Wind

 


Can you say WIND???

It's always windy in Iowa this time of year, but this past week was unbelievably gusty. As much as I love the great outdoors, even I struggled with getting my buttocks outside on the daily. Don't worry, the #OptOutside streak is still going strong...but there were a few bare minimums with my efforts due to this week's circumstances.

Before I dis on the deets of the windy week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



Anyways. here's what went down during this week of wind and whatnot:

Sunday? Climbing inside..
Sunday morning had me hitting the stairs, in downtown Des Moines, for the Fight for Air Climb. It was every bit as hot, intense, and exhausting as in years past, but it's always quite euphoric crossing the final building's timing mat at the finish line (recap is HERE). Afterwards, there may have been some post-climbing Bloody Mary's in celebration. I also got out for a short 1-mile walk in the afternoon (amidst the 12mph wind), and there may have also been some napping after the women's NCAA championship game.
 

Monday? Strength work inside...
Not feeling like battling the wind in the wee hours, I opted for a slight sleep-in, and then headed downstairs for a quick upper-body workout before heading to work. 


...and a windy walk and (even windier) run outdoors
I took advantage of the sunny skies and got out for a 2-mile walk over my lunchbreak, just as the eclipse was beginning. We had 87% (or so) coverage in my area, so it didn't get especially dark (I'm always amazed just how bright our sun really is!). After work, I braved the 15mph wind for three miles in the running shoes.


Tuesday? Low-key biking inside...
Another breezy morning, I opted for some easy-peasy, low-impact cardio via the bike. Later, Michele and I fought the 16mph wind on a mid-morning walk at work.


Wednesday? Doggy Daycare...
This was Day-1 of Busy-At-Home, while watching my sister's dog for a few days (she was out of town on business). The morning started with an adventurous walk with both Max and Zeus. Thankfully, this was a day that the wind played nice! I also had a little bit of work-from-home to do, a lot of (continued) post-move household stuff, and a huge Paver Power-Lift workout in my new backyard (see below). I also got out for a nice 2-mile walk in the evening (the 6mph wind had me not knowing how to act, LOL, but the 70F temps were wonderful).


Thursday? Early morning cardio, both inside and outside...
I had every intention of spending the entire cardio hour of power (with Deb) outdoors, but the 16mph wind had me white-flagging the weather after walking two miles. I retreated to the basement for 10 miles of biking for the remainder of our virtual chat session. Problem solved. Day-2 of Busy-At-Home had more of the same as Wednesday, except I added cutting and fitting drawer liners (for the three bathrooms and kitchen) to the roster (don't be jealous).


Friday? Fighting the 17mph wind outside...
I treated myself to a no-alarm morning and, much to my surprise, I didn't wake up until after 7:00! It was another windy day (big surprise!), and the weather app showed the 11mph wind only getting more crazy by the hour. After some core work and procrastination, I finally got outside around 10:00, and the wind was 17mph by the time I finished my 4-mile run. Ugh! At least the temps weren't too chilly, and the sunshine was beautifully bright. More work-from-home stuff, dog-walking, and (yet) more continued household organizing kept me busy for Day-3 of Busy-At-Home.


Saturday? A triple-treat of cardio outdoors...
Another no-alarm morning had me waking up just before 7:00 (is it obvious I've been feeling a bit fatigued lately?). After a bit of procrastination (and legit household stuff as well), I got out for a 2-mile walk in the mid-morning sunshine.

Knowing the weather was going to be warming (to summer-feels-like temps!), I purposely saved my run for early afternoon. We all know I thrive in the summer heat, so the 75F temps were amazing (the 17mph wind? Not so much, LOL). I was able to navigate my way through some new-to-me neighborhoods (as well as the nearby trail), and returned home feeling thoroughly satisfied (albeit a bit under-hydrated). After dinner, I got out for a bonus 2-mile walk in the even warmer 80F temps. 


and what's on deck for Sunday?
The morning temps are looking beautiful, with minimal wind...maybe I'll lace up for a recovery run? It's been awhile since I've done such a thing, and it's going to be too nice to stay inside. 

So yeah, the wind was a major buzzkill this week. It is what it is, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm just grateful I can find some humor in it, not to mention it's great training for possible race day conditions. Running had 12 miles this week (still not quite where I'd like to be mileage-wise, but oh well). Walking wound up with 14 miles, and biking saw a measly 16 (oh well on that also). 

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. Hanging at home afforded me the luxury of dressing pretty casual and comfy. This charcoal scoop neck sweater has been a favorite for a long time, but the distressed jeans are a new find. And check out the barefoot friendly weather...I'm good with that!


Paver power-lifting! Several months ago, we replaced the pavers in our walkway with cement, so I brought these along to my new place (I'm pretty sure the movers thought I was crazy). There were 51 of them ..I know that number because I lifted and carried each one to its new spot in my backyard. I drew-out a design for the firepit, and meticulously placed each paver into position. This little project only took me about 90 minutes! This happened in the Wednesday afternoon sunshine, but I didn't feel any DOMS until Friday morning. Let's just say this sufficed as my main strength workout for the week (these pavers weighed about 40 pounds each).

Well, that's all she wrote! Onward to the next week. The forecast is looking "seasonal," but on the warmer spectrum. I'm good with that!

Did you do battle with the wind, as well, this week? Any intense workouts (in the gym or otherwise)? Did you catch the eclipse?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

27 comments:

  1. Sorry about the wind! We had a few windy days here but luckily I guess for me they coincided with my oldest being sick so I had to stay inside anyway. Hoping to get in a good outdoor run today now that it's finally dry and not windy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although we had a surplus of wind, I'm grateful we didn't have any nasty rain with it. Hopefully I didn't jinx this next week...

      Delete
  2. The wind is so annoying! We mostly have constant wind here... but we're having some spring weather now at least. I'm glad for you that you've had the summer-like temperatures! You deserve it after the winter! And I agree, too nice to stay inside. Great work with the pavers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the wind has been sustained wind, but there have been some hefty gusts in there as well. At least it's more of a "balmy" wind with the temps warming up, LOL.

      Delete
  3. We had every bit of that wind as well! It's great time to tuck into the woods, as the trees help mitigate the wind. I think we're going to have more wind this week, lol. I'm glad to see you settling in to your new place and making it feel like home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I have the trail nearby, there's not much wind coverage on it. And the wind is almost always out of the NW here (just like at my other place), so it feels like a headwind for 50% for all my runs anytime I head out. Reality bites, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you have settled into your new home nicely! It is fun to explore your new area. Our wind was crazy this week too I could hear it whipping all night Friday. Congrats on your fight for air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a constant tornado outside as it hits my house!

      Delete
  5. The wind can make things really tough! Iowa is a windy state, isn't it? How nice of you to watch your sister's pup- your sweatshirt/sweater from your Wednesday walk looks very cozy. Good luck on the projects at the new place!

    Thanks as always for hosting the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked out well to dog-sit for her, as I needed some uninterrupted time to get a lot of my household stuff done. Besides, she's my dog-sitter now, so it was a small payback ;-)

      Delete
  6. #IowaStrong!!! I know that you're no stranger to the wind, and also that Iowa wind is like no other.

    I love the butterfly necklace! I used to wear necklaces every day but that went by the wayside when the pandemic started. I think I need to bring the necklaces back, and to add a butterfly necklace to my wardrobe.

    A few years ago we replaced our backyard shed, and we got some great workouts out of it. The two that I was involved in was hauling 40 pound cinder blocks from the backyard to the dumpster in our driveway, and as a family we did The Great Gravel Haul to move 4 tons of gravel from the front yard to the back for the new shed foundation. We assumed that it would take us a few days to move the gravel but it only took two hours.

    We had a total eclipse here and it was awesome. Schools were closed so we got to see it as a family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go YOU!! You know all about "functional" fitness! I thought this paver project would be an all-day endeavor, so it was a nice surprise how quickly I was able to get it done.

      Delete
  7. Yes the wind was crazy here as well. I worry about flying car doors in parking lots. I'd love to see how that fire pit project turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest assured, there will be more pics forthcoming as this fire pit evolves ;-) It had to be at least 25-ft from the house, hence the walkway and the placement of the "staging area."

      Delete
  8. Ooh, nice way to re-purpose those pavers! That's a workout for sure. And, how to fun explore your new surroundings in running shoes. Sounds like things are settling down a little- I'm sure your body appreciated those 7 am wakeups! It's been breezy here, which actually feels pleasant. I'm not a fan of the type of wind you've been having! I hope it calms down this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, we have very minimal wind (it was 0mph for my walk earlier!), so fingers crossed it mellows out for this next week as well.

      Delete
  9. I’m glad you were able to take some time to do stuff around your new place — and sleep in a bit. You’ve been through so much lately (physically and otherwise) I’m sure you body needed the extra rest.

    LOL on moving the pavers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the most sleeping-in I've done in a long time. Apparently, it was needed, LOL.

      Delete
  10. Wind can really spoil the fun of a workout week, especially on the bike.
    Hauling pavers around sounds like an awesome workout! Nice job of getting all that house-organising done! Settling in takes time, but it's a good idea to keep the momentum going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice having five continuous days to focus on the house stuff. I've gotten bits and pieces done, but having all that uninterrupted time was beneficial.

      Delete
  11. Did I battle the wind? Oh man, we've had Iowa level wind here in Virginia this week. Yesterday's ride was downright brutal and today we faced 17 MPH winds the last 10 miles after our turnaround.

    Your paver project looks amazing, and you got a great workout while doing it!

    Congrats on the climb! Heading over to read your recap shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind is downright brutal on the bike, no matter how intense. Anything in the double digits, though, is majorly miserable! You're a trooper!

      Delete
  12. What a week for you! To have Max and Zeus together! So fun! And your climb! Amazing! Your pavers looks wonderful, too! Here's to lots of awesome nights at the fire pit. And yes. We battled wind. It was breezy all week until the big tornado. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, so much wind. I am not a big fan of wind when I run outside... good for you for still getting out there. And congrats on the climb challenge. That's an impressive undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Moving the pavers sounds like something I would do! I'm glad they made the trip successfully and you have a good spot for them. And yay, what a workout! ;) Those sunny days were great here this week too. Hope you are enjoying your new space!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You had all the weather and all the cardio. Amazing. The wind can GTFO though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had all the weather and all the cardio. Amazing. The wind can GTFO though.
    Love the Saturday triple. So intense but amazing

    ReplyDelete