Monday, March 9, 2020

2020 Leprechaun Chase 



For starters, there was plenty of green.

After all, the Leprechaun Chase 10K is all about some St. Patrick's Day fun, by way of a race course. But that's not all that awaits the Lads and Lasses at the Omaha venue.

There are nonstop hills. Many twists and turns along the race course keep you guessing. The terrain is constantly changing. And, this past Saturday, March 7th, there was a 22-mph steady blast of wind!

Alas, all of these variables not only made for a tough race, but a fun challenge.

The hubby and I have done the Des Moines venue several times (2014, 201520162017, 2018 and 2019...basically, every year except the first year it existed), but this was our first time partaking in the Chase on Nebraska soil.

A nice perk to this event was the hosting site, the Strategic Air Command Museum (actually located in Ashland, NE). The Chase didn't start until 4:00, but all registered participants were given free admission to the museum prior to the race. Having served (active duty and reserve) for 30+ years in the Air Force, the hubby was quite enthralled (as was I) with all the aircraft. The SAC is essentially an airport hangar (minus the airport), with numerous military aircraft and memorabilia on display (much of which was suspended from the ceiling).




The Leprechaun Chase is, just as the name implies, a chase. The Lasses (all the gals) get a 5:30-minute head start before the Lads (all the guys) are released across the start line. Whomever crosses the finish line first earns a free green beer for all their fellow teammates (Lads OR Lasses).
lining up inside the hangar
Us Lasses were called to line up first, inside the hangar. The ceremonial opening of the enormous hangar doors took place, allowing all to see the start line arch, just outside of the building. I had been warned this route was hilly, and had also been told about the varying terrain. What I wasn't prepared for was the crazy wind.

I had stepped outside, just prior to the National Anthem, to get a GPS signal (and several other runners were doing the same thing). A few minutes later, back inside the hangar, and the signal was gone. I figured I could just run with it in stopwatch mode (because I didn't think I'd get the GPS back in time before crossing the timing mat).

They started the 10-second countdown, and all the gals started inching towards the arch,outside. Everyone had their arms poised, awaiting to set their watches (aren't we pathetic? LOL). I started to ease into a jog as I stepped outside, and immediately noticed my watch was searching for the signal. I crossed the timing mat, and a few seconds later the Garmin came to life, so I hit "start" and was on my way (I knew it would be a few seconds off from my actual "official" time, but no big whoop).


The route curved around to the front parking lot, towards the entrance of the SAC building, then looped out into the main parking lot...then swerved back around to the grass, leading us towards the first hill. The next thing I knew, there was a gravel segment as we continued up the hill. Fortunately, by the time we'd gone about 3/4th of a mile or so, we were back on the asphalt trail and winding our way through the edge of Mahoney State Park.

I don't know if it was the time of day, the warm temps (68F, which was markedly warmer than I'd experienced in several months) or the wind blowing on me...but I was thirsty, very thirsty. I had been hydrating all day, but a late-afternoon race makes for a difficult scenario regarding food and fuel.

It was at the 1.15 mile mark that the first Lad passed me. A short ways later (1.35 mile mark), the second one whizzed by me. After that, I quit keeping track because it looked (and felt) like an army of guys all dressed in green.

The route was very scenic, but there were very few straightaways. It seemed like we were constantly going up a hill (or coming down), or working our way around another curve of some sort. There also were a few other intermittent patches of grass to peruse, as well as several wooden walking bridges.

There was a water station (with numerous volunteers) at the 2-mile mark, and again at the 3-mile mark (I think?) as well. As thirsty as I was feeling, I grabbed water at all the water stands, and walked briefly as I drank (I still have not mastered the "run and drink" tactic).

As for the situation with the wind, it was a constant force to be reckoned with. This race course was out in the open. Other than a brief segment (at the start and right before the finish) near the SAC building, there wasn't really any barrier from the wind. It was either a wicked headwind, a tricky cross-wind, or a freaky tailwind that made it difficult to stay vertical.

A nice feature, though, since the race took place on the grounds of the SAC (and alongside Mahoney State Park), there were a lot of spectators along the route cheering and high-5'ing the runners. I also spotted numerous photographers throughout the race.

I grabbed another water (I think it was somewhere between the 4-mile and 5-mile marks), and actually stopped for a few seconds to catch my breath so I could drink without gagging. I wasn't going "all out" (Ha! Not in that wind LOL), but I was running strong and steady. And, did I mention how thirsty I was? I walked a short ways with the water, and then resumed running...but didn't see a trash can anywhere so I crumpled the cup and kept it with me.

The last 1.5 mile or so felt like it was a straight shot into the wind. It was around the 5.5-mile mark where we repeated that jaunt on the gravel (but in the opposite direction), and then the grass, as the route took us back to where we'd started. Back to the parking lot (full-on wind!), around the final curve to the back of the SAC building and across the finish mat. WHEW!


Look closely, I'm still carrying the crumpled cup in my right hand LOL

 So, how did I do? Official finish time was 56:43, but my Garmin showed 56:38 (due to the brief delayed start). My splits were a bit jacked -  (1) 8:45, (2) 9:17, (3) 9:01, (4) 9:41, (5) 9:25, (6) 9:05, (final .16) 1:25. Oh well.

  

My stats:
613 out of 2017 overall
219 out of 1262 women
8 out of 86 in my age group

I'd have to say this was definitely one of the hardest 10K's I've run. I was in decent shape for it, but the course was tough with all the curves and hills. The grassy parts were a little slick (thankfully, it was a dry day), and gravel is never easy on the ankles. But, dang. The wind was a beast!

The hubby and I were both so glad to be done!

 

Oh, and the Lads pulled off the victory, and crossed the finish line first. The hubby, therefore, claimed his free green beer...but didn't want it. I drank not even half of it either...I'm not a beer-drinker, though (and I call myself a runner LOL).



 It was a lot of fun traveling to the Omaha vicinity for this event. I had a free registration (from AG placing last year at the Des Moines Chase), and I'd always wanted to see how this Chase compared (it's the same race management company that sponsors both). Both events are fantastic (though the Des Moines one isn't happening this year, or else we'd be running that as well). The two race routes, though are quite different...where this one was hilly and out in the open, the Des Moines one is pretty flat, and has a lot of wind shelter due to the park it runs through.

The swag is nice! This year, as part of the early-bird registration, participants could upgrade to a long-sleeved hooded tech shirt (instead of a short-sleeved tech shirt). The shirts usually are green, but I really like this year's black shirt with the green logo. And, thumb holes (need I say more?)!


There aren't finisher medals (and I'm alright with that), but look at this cute little keepsake from the after-party! They awarded prizes for the top Lad and Lass, and the age group awards went three-deep in 5-year increments (glass pints with the race logo and free registration for next year).



All in all, this was a fun event! As I've said before, you can't control the weather, but you can control how you respond to it. You never know what the race day will bring you, you might as well make the best of it, am I right?

Have you ever run a fun race on a tough course? Ever done a race with a "chase" format? Would you dress in green for a St. Patrick's Day-themed event? Have you ever carried a crumpled water cup across a finish line?


I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up
I'm also linking with Debbie,  RachelDeborahLisaSmitha and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup

 By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

35 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to reading this recap! So much fun! And I would totally dress up in green, too!
    And congratulations for finishing so strong, despite a tough course (hills!) and horrible wind.
    I did a 10k last week, but it was a completely flat and easy course, so it can't be compared to what you did. The only thing that was bothersome was the packed course and not having much space in the first few kilometers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This race (like most races) was a bit of a crowded mess at the start. They had signs posted with paces, but no one EVER abides by those. I was passing blatant 9:00 "pace posers" up until the halfway mark LOL

      Delete
  2. Running against the wind is so brutal! Definitely makes the run seem twice as hard.
    Awesome job on the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This race was fun, but the wind was everywhere and in every direction LOL Even though I had ZERO energy to push my pace, I was exhausted just from battling the wind...

      Delete
  3. Congrats on a great race! The gravel and grass parts would have thrown me for a loop as well as the hills and wind. Green is my favorite color so of course I have a long sleeved green running shirt which I'll be wearing for both of my March races (and wore for most of my Christmas races lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha!! I have a cheap pair of green leggings I bought last year at Christmas time...I would have worn them had the weather been colder ;-) I also have a cute green "elf" tank top (I think it was part of a pajama set at Target many years ago), which I've worn for the Leprechaun Chase before with a long-sleeved green top underneath.

      Delete
  4. What a battle my friend!! But as you and I have discussed before, it's those crazy tough challenges that make us grow (and make things more exciting, LOL!) Well done on yet another Finish Line and so glad hubby had a good race too. (PS: Not sure if it's only me but many of the photos are not displaying. It may just be my internet speed today but just double check on your end).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my post looked perfect when I published it Monday night. Then I got to work (Tuesday morning), and saw that things had gone awry overnight. Not sure what happened (because everything looked fine via my computer LOL)...but I was able to re-load the missing pics (at lunchtime) and fix things. But UGH. Technology is my anxiety provoker!

      Delete
    2. Just had a look! And it's all perfect now. Some really awesome action shots!

      Delete
  5. Wow that is warm compared to past temps. I'm having a hard time dressing correctly.

    Yup, no photos here!

    The wind is tough to run in. Congrats for pushing through it.

    And you are lucky that the hubby shares your passion for running. Or at least he races lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to fix the pics over lunch (on Tuesday). The wind was nutzo, especially out in the open like that. But, we can do hard things, right?

      Delete
  6. Nice job! Wind makes it feel so much harder, always. Although I would think being caught by the lads would be a little demoralizing.

    I did one Gray/Blue race (North vs South) -- it was a good race -- and the North won (it usually does) which meant I got a mug, which was a nice touch.

    I love a hoodie for a race! That's some awesome swag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We registered back in December, and got a preview of the shirt, but I had forgotten about it. I was very impressed when we got our race packets! This race is so fun with the chase format, even when the Lads win, it's not a big deal (well, I'm not usually in contention anyways LOL).

      Delete
  7. The free museum entry is a really nice perk! And I love that chase idea. But this definitely sounds like a tough race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this was so much tougher than the Chase I've done at the other location. It made for a fun experience, though!

      Delete
  8. Excellent race report. Straight shot into the wind is brutal. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the head wind was brutal! I'm just glad it was a warm day and the breeze was warm as well ;-)

      Delete
  9. What a quaint "ladies first" race! Sounds like a tough one w the winds and the hills. Love that you and hubs do this race together. Holiday themed races are always fun to me. Congrats! Thanks in advance for linking up w Runners Round Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, holiday-themed races are fun. I think 90% of the participants (maybe even more!) were dressed in green, so that just added to the fun ;-)

      Delete
  10. Great work, sounds soooo challenging! But thumb-holes, right?! Well done and great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just think for a morning runner, afternoon races are tough! Congrats on a strong finish in spite of that wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt, anything starting after 8:00 (which is late for me LOL) throws me for a loop with fuel/food/hydration.

      Delete
  12. So cute!

    We have a few local races with hard courses, but they are fun all the same.

    I absolutely get dressed in theme for races like this and would totally rock the St. Patrick's green! I love it. Congratulations on a great job in spite of the tough conditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As tough as this race course was, it was a fun time. There's something about finishing a tough race that is SOOO empowering ;-)

      Delete
  13. What a fun idea for a race! Glad you powered through a tough race without getting too winded (badum chhhh)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Racing in the wind is so hard! I ran a St Patricks Day 5k a few years ago and wore green. Im pretty sure that was a windy day too! This sounds like alot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind, this time of year, is always fierce. There's another race I used to do (that's no longer happening) that was also out in the open, on the grounds of a NASCAR speedway. The wind was pretty unforgiving....

      Delete
  15. Ah you guys look so adorable!! I have a hard time with afternoon races, too. I can't figure out fueling or hydration. What's worse is night races. That I can't seem to figure out AT ALL.

    Congrats on yet another race finish!! Girl, you're on fiah!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's actually an evening race we've done the past few years...mid-July (think: heat/humidity) and it starts at 7:30 ;-) IT's a 15K, but you run the 5K first, then the 10K starts a short while later...and repeats the 5K course two more times (think: evening of fun). You should road trip out to Iowa!

      Delete
  16. Nice job on a tough run! I love seeing all the green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done a lot of St. Patrick's races, and this was the most green I've ever seen ;-)

      Delete
  17. That sounds like a super fun race and way to add in some lad/lass competition!
    The weather and the hills sound challenging for sure!
    Congrats on your AG placement :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your race! Wind is never fun at a race. We have a Shamrock Shuffle race in Chicago (an 8K) where I try to wear some green gear. It was cancelled this year.

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete