Monday, March 12, 2018

Leprechaun Chase - 2018 Recap


Not only was I chased by a herd of lads, but I was also passed by an entire lot.

Did you get all of that? It happened on Saturday, March 10th, at the sixth annual Leprechaun Chase 10K (Des Moines, IA).

This is such a fun event, with a most unique format. The lasses (all the girls) get a 5:30 head start, and the lads (all the guys) then follow suit. Almost everyone is dressed in green and most are on a quest for their fastest 10K finish possible. Whoever crosses the finish line first secures not only bragging rights for winning, but they also secure a free green beer for their entire entourage (fellow lads or lasses). The lads were leading, 3-2 (from the previous five years), prior to the start of the 2018 Chase.

Here's the low down on what happened this year:
The temps were mild (high 30's) and we had clear skies when we left town for the hour-long drive to Des Moines. The hubby and I rode with Barb (my famous running gal pal). Another friend, Amy, caravanned with us. The race didn't start until 10:00, and we arrived with plenty of time to meet up with another friend, Chuck (who had gotten all of our race packets for us).
clockwise from left: Barb, Amy, Chuck, the hubby, and myself
Barb, Amy, and myself did a very short warm-up run prior to getting in line with the other gals.


Above left: lined up with the lasses, and (above) a better shot of the lads/lasses starting chutes
They played the National Anthem, and we were off. Having run this race the four previous years, I knew I had to be careful with the first mile. The course is pretty flat and very fast, and everyone sprints right outta the gate (myself included). I did my best to hold back and several gals even passed me...but when I glanced at my watch at the 1-mile mark, my pace showed 8:25. OOPS. It really didn't seem like I was going that fast!

Knowing I would not be able to maintain that pace for 5.2 additional miles, I really had to reign it back. There's about a 1/4-mile out and back segment right after the 1-mile mark, and that's where I saw the first of the lads working their way through the crowd of lasses. The lead lad passed me just before I made it back on the main road....and several more passed me a short while later.

Even though the sun had retreated behind the cloud cover, I didn't feel cold. I had a fleece-lined base layer under my black 1/4 zip jacket (and arm warmers between those two layers). I have to confess...my green leggings weren't "real" running tights (nor were they lined), but they were bright green, so I didn't care. The thigh high striped socks were a fun addition (and actually stayed in place!). At the last minute, I opted to add a running skirt, though, because the green leggings and the thigh highs just looked weird all on their own...almost like I had gotten dressed and forgotten something.

It wasn't until we'd turned onto MLK, Jr. Parkway (heading south) that I could really feel the wind, just after the 2-mile mark. Thankfully, I was able to slow my speed down considerably in that second mile...my watch showed 8:59. Whew! Although I'd prefer to be near the 8:45 range, I knew I needed to slow down (and hopefully not crash and burn from going out too fast at the start).

The third and fourth miles were pretty uneventful, but I could tell the wind was taking a toll on me. Both of these miles had us circling Gray's Lake, on our way to the east-bound trail south of the lake.

I could tell my body was ready for a short break. I glanced at my watch and saw my pace was staying pretty steady, but most of the final stretch of the race would have the SE wind in my face. I pulled over for a 50-second walk break, and that seemed to do the trick. Feeling recharged, I continued onward.

From (approximately) the 4.25 mile mark to the (approximate) 5.9 mile mark, the route was headed due east, on a paved trail that ran parallel to the Racoon River. At long last, I spotted the bridge up ahead...the bridge that would take us (north) across the river and back to the finish line.

I made it across the finish line with a 56:23 chip time. It was a couple minutes out from a PR, but definitely a finish time I was pleased with, considering I had started much faster than I should have.

My splits:
Mile 1 - 8:25
Mile 2 - 8:59
Mile 3 - 9:00
Mile 4 - 9:00
Mile 5 - 9:45 (50 second walk break)
Mile 6 - 9:19 (another 10-second-ish walk break)

Check it out--another 4th place AG finish LOL
I found Chuck shortly after finishing, and we were reunited with Barb. Amy had to clear out and head back to town (we later learned she got 3rd in her age group!). A few minutes later, we found Dave, another local runner from our hometown.
Chuck, myself, Barb, and  Dave
The hubby had been having knee issues, and decided to walk the entire route. He met up with us a bit later at the post-race party.


Doesn't everyone celebrate with a post-run Bloody Mary? 
Overall, I'm happy with how the day played out. I never like resorting to walking, but that darn too-fast-start kind of came back and briefly bit my buttocks. My stats showed I was 4th (out of 29) in my age group, 130th (out of 528) within the females, and finished 343rd overall among the entire field of 875 racers. Yes, ANOTHER 4th place AG finish (I wish I was making that up), but a huge congrats to Barb...she was the 1st place gal in her age group! The lads took the victory crown (again). The winning lad set a new course record (30:43), and the winning lass had a decent 38:44 finish time.

As I have said before, this is a great event! I ran it in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and have every intention to return next year as well. It's reasonably priced...I paid $35 for early bird registration (back in December). In recent years, they have offered a free "upgrade" from the usual t-shirt for the early bird registrants...this year it was a pullover hoodie. Nice, huh!

The Leprechaun Chase partners with the Des Moines Animal Rescue League. I have not heard the final numbers for this year, but they did say that in the past six years, they have been able to donate over $20,000 to their cause.
One of the Animal Rescue League's banners
So, that's the 2018 Leprechaun Chase. Have you ever run a similar race, where the gals get a head start and the guys have to try to catch up to them? Ever run a St. Patrick's-themed race?

 **I'm  linking up with Marcia and Patty and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run.  We're chatting about lucky endeavors....can you get any more lucky than running a fun leprechaun-themed race?

**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Rachel and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner.


***By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

29 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really fun race! Congrats to all! Starting out fast can be a real problem, especially in a 10k. Sounds like you did a good job of reigning it in and still running a strong race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exciting to see I actually was going that "fast" because it didn't feel like I was forcing anything...but then it also was frustrating because I knew I then had to try to hold back. I realize an 8:25 pace is relative...it's fast for me, but "average" to others...but I really struggle with making my body go slower than what feels natural, it's almost more effort holding back than pushing for a faster pace.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun race! Congrats on a great finish time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This race really is a fun race! Almost everyone gets in the spirit of wearing green, and some of the costumes are hilarious...like the dudes in the full-on plaid pant suits LOL

      Delete
  3. What a unique race. Never have I run one like that. That is nice that they offer a free upgrade to a sweatshirt. Us runners have so many darn race shirts!
    Congrats on your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of the shade of green of the hoodie, but I do welcome an alternative to another t-shirt!

      Delete
  4. What a fun race. Your time is amazing to me!! And love how you dressed up. I am sick of race shirts. A sweatshirt would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, who needs another race shirt? This is the third year they have offered the optional free upgrade...and I have taken advantage every time ;-)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on a great race! I swear you are queen of that 4th place spot. This concept reminds me of the Skirt Chaser, which I believe Skirt Sports sponsored many years ago. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I laugh every time I see another 4th place spot instead of getting annoyed by it (well, I guess it still is annoying).

      Delete
  6. I start behind other runners so I don't go out too fast. I did that as a kid and got burned right away. Great job with your AG, and it does sound like a fun race, even with that wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I resent constant watch checks, I think it might be time I start monitoring my pace a little more...especially in the first few miles. UGH.

      Delete
  7. That sounds like such a fun morning! I have never run a St. Paddy's Day race, but think it would be fun! Congrats on running a great race. I loved reading your recap, especially since I haven't run a race in a few months and needed a racing fix. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This race is always a fun endeavor, and all the people dressed in green makes it so festive. I have another St. paddy race this coming weekend...hoping for another festive fun time in green.

      Delete
  8. This sounds like such a cool race idea! I love it! The pullover is super cute, too! Congrats on a great finish...so sorry you were 4th again (trust me, I completely understand and feel your pain!) Congrats again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't 4th place kind of a buzz kill? Even though I love the accomplishment, there's usually nothing to show for it LOL

      Delete
  9. That race sounds like so much fun! We don't have a race like that in my area, at least not that I am aware of. :-) I would love to place 4th in my age group. Great job! I also love that they donate to Animal Rescue League!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the 4th place finish is kind of a catch-22....I'm always glad I can finish there, but it's never really acknowledged in terms of prizes or recognition. Oh well...this race is still such a fun event.

      Delete
  10. Starting too fast has done me in a number of times! Great job on recovering from that and finishing at a great pace. You really made an amazing comeback after your injury. Love your outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! The too-fast start is something I really need to work on....the odd thing is that it doesn't feel like I'm going that fast.

      Delete
  11. This sounds like such a fun race (and I love how everyone dresses the part)! A too fast start will get you every time! Even after so many years of racing I have to be careful not to get carried away (so I don’t actually have to be carried away lol!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to see a pattern with my too-fast starts. I suppose it's always been an issue in some regards, but it's really been prominent in recent races. UGH.

      Delete
  12. What a fun race! Not sure I could do a bloody Mary after, though! Congrats on a great finish. Love the hoodie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Bloody Mary was purely for recovery...Vitamin C and sodium (right?).

      Delete
  13. Awesome hoodie! You have the most adorable race outfits. Great job on a nice run! I hope your hubby's knee is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the hoodie cute? I'm not crazy with that particular shade of green, but I love the logo, the fit, and the warmth ;-)

      Delete
  14. Themed races are always fun and I need to run more of them! I’m running a 10K on St Patrick’s Day so I’ll be seeing plenty of green then. Don’t think there will be any green beer though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot woot!! Have fun at your race! I have a St. Paddy half marathon on Saturday...I've never run that far in a "themed" outfit...it should be interesting.

      Delete
  15. What a fun race! Love the lads and lassies race!
    Your outfit is precious!
    Congrats on your 4th place AG win :)

    ReplyDelete