Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Speaking of Rest...


Rest. 

It's a necessary part of the program, so why is it so tough to honor and respect?

Not that anyone was asking, but I'll give you my answer:

I think "resting" is tough to do because there's not any one perfect way to do it. 



As runners, and athletes in general, we work our bodies hard. We run the necessary miles (and some choose to run more). Some of us lift weights (while some lift heavier, and more frequently, than others). Many of us cross-train (each to our own contentment). Some of us are guided by a coach, or a training plan, and some of us are able to "wing it" with success.

In other words, none of us train the exact same way. After all, most of us don't share the same expectations, goals, or even abilities...it would be crazy for any of us to train the same way and expect the same results. Personally, I don't think that's a bad thing.

Therefore, it's my belief that resting should be treated the same way. Since no two of us train the same way, I don't think it's wise (or realistic) to assume we all need the same amount of rest or recovery time.


Myself, I'm a firm believer in active recovery days. While I allow myself ample recovery time, I seldom take a full rest day. Even when I'm in a marathon-training cycle, my "rest days" are not spent sitting still or keeping off my feet. My body feels best when it's in motion (even on my non-running days). For me, movement is medicinal.

How do I "move" on my recovery days, without over-taxing my body? For me, that means low (or no) impact options, like walking or (in especially cold weather) the elliptical. A little bit of sweat equity does my body (and mind) wonders, and it helps to keep the blood flowing as my body recovers from intense workouts or training runs (or races).


 This year has really presented many an opportunity to test this theory on myself. With most of my races cancelled (or, at the very least, gone virtual), I didn't have any strict timeframes or training schedules to adhere to. Once my marathon was deferred, I was given free reign to do as I pleased.

Up until my stress fracture (mid-August), my main objective was to stay active without overdoing it. I did that by running 3-4 times per week, and my weekend long runs rarely exceeded 10 miles. My monthly mileage hasn't even broken the century mark in 2020. I have strength-trained, usually, once a week. There has been an occasional speed session or HIIT workout, and plenty of walking. Biking was a staple supplement to my routine, but became my main poison once the stress fracture up-ended my world.   


How has everything worked out for me? While there have been occasional DOMS appearances, there have not been any injuries (the stress fracture is believed to have been the result of an accidental sprain/strain on my foot from the derecho clean-up, not from exercise itself).   

Obviously, I acknowledge that some athletes may need more rest and recovery than I do, and some may need less. I also respect that there are others who run many more miles than I do and strength-train with a lot more intensity than I prefer for myself. I try to keep all of my fitness endeavors in a balanced routine that works for me and my schedule. As I have said, more than once, we all get to do our fitness our way.  

Anyways, those are my thoughts, and that's what works for me.

Your turn...what works for you? Do you take full rest days, or allow yourself active recovery days instead? Has 2020 altered your approach to fitness and/or rest/recovery?

 I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up


I'm also linking with Debbie, DeborahLisaLaura and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup

By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter



25 comments:

  1. It is endlessly fascinating to read about other people's approach to fitness and rest and to learn how we're all very different. For me, I really need rest on my rest days, though even then I'll still take a few low intensity walks (partly because my dog has never taken a rest day in her life and currently b/c, you know leaving the house a few times a day really helps with the whole quarantine thing). I usually have a bit of extra kick to put into my workouts the day after a rest day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we definitely all are different ;-) I think that makes it more exciting. I, for one, just cannot bring myself to run more than 20-25 miles/week. No interest, and my body just (usually) says "no thanks." I can suck it up and do it for the last 6-7 weeks of 26.2 training, but it's not my gig LOL

      Delete
  2. It's true what you said about everyone exercising and resting differently. Your fitness routine is very balanced and therefore it makes sense to have an active recovery day.

    For me, it works best if I stay away from all cardio-type activities and only stretch or do some yoga on rest days. Oh, and I love to walk and enjoy the autumn colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't walking a great thing? Even though I'm walking "slowly" for now (not power-walking just yet), just being outside and seeing everything on foot has been great.

      Delete
  3. I am a proponent of not running streaks or even two days in a row.

    That doesn't mean I sit on my butt but it means unless it is raining (like today), I go hiking or a several walks just to keep active.

    and yes 2020 has me working from home so I take even more walks and have done a lot more hiking...what else is there to do outside the home??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of anti-streaking, as well...except for the winter streak I do every year. Even then, though, I keep the mileage low with just 1-milers on what would usually be non-running days. As you know, I LOVE walking!

      Delete
  4. As you know, I'm not a huge fan of run streaks. My knees don't appreciate it and I love so many other forms of fitness that I like to mix it up as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Run streaking can be done safely (as I have learned), but it definitely does not appeal to everyone. There's no way I'd ever do it long-term...the 5-6 week streak I get over the holidays suits me just fine LOL It gets me through the Winter Solstice!

      Delete
  5. For the most part I like an active recovery day - (yoga or a walk) - but sometimes my body lets me know that a complete rest day would be appreciated LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in awhile, my body tells me the same. It's not very often, because I like being active (and most days, everything feels better after some movement), but if I'm really feeling beat-up, I'll take a full-on rest day.

      Delete
  6. This is so true - everybody trains and recovers differently and so rest days will look different too. Most of the time, rest days will include some sort of light movement, but if I feel like not moving at all, that's okay with me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we all do this differently. I feel better with some action on rest days, but every once in awhile I do take a full rest day (I just cannot remember the last time LOL).

      Delete
  7. 2020 has definitely altered things. Because I'm not racing, I've cut way back on running -- even taking my recent 2 week break.

    Everyone does need different amounts of physical activity, but it's really true that as we get older, it takes longer to recover and we're often better served with much more moderate workouts. Still trying to find the right combo for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding that right combo is tough! Even with biking, it's tough because biking is a lot easier than running (at least I think it is). Since I had to be careful with my foot, I avoided hills because that would have put too much strain on the affected part of my fracture. Thus, I felt like I had to UP the mileage to compensate for the intensity. Still don't know if I got that correct LOL

      Delete
  8. I agree we all do things our own way and we have to figure out what works best for our bodies. I have learned that I need more rest lately and I am going to try to take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a challenge figuring out what works and what doesn't. I'm feeling fatigued this week (due to a rather late night Monday with a vehicle situation), so I'm going a bit easier. Sometimes the extra workout(s) boost my energy, other times not.

      Delete
  9. Because I usually run 5 days a week I really use my rest days for recovery. I'll do a strength workout on occasion, but I try to take at least one day of complete rest a week. Of course, I have an active job (when I'm working lol) so I move a lot even on my days off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that! If I ran more often, or maintained higher mileage, I'd definitely treat my recovery days as true rest days as well. While my job is not as active as yours, I'm on my feel a lot. One time I tracked my steps for a week (just while at work), and I averaged just under two miles walked each day at my "desk job."

      Delete
  10. It's all about finding what works for you! Sometimes I need a full, complete lazy rest day- to let my mind and body relax. But lately its been more about recovery days, and that's working right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right ;-) We all know what works for us, individually...and even that changes from time-to-time.

      Delete
  11. I'll walk on recovery days (with dogs, daily walks are required!) and maybe do meditative yoga, but nothing else. I notice more progress when I let my mind and body fully recover!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am way more into "active" rest, especially now with my bionic ankle. Even if I just take a long stroll, it keeps my ankle loose and flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So far I've been able to run everyday which is surprising. I like it. It is going well but I do take that one day "off" easy where I do an easy run.

    Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete