Thursday, October 15, 2020

Five Ways To Intensify Your Strength Workout


Are you a fan of strength workouts?

It's no secret that I am! 

It's been just over 10 years since I was introduced to the world of strength-training, and it's been a pretty fun ride. While I'm not a coach (Ha! As if! LOL), I have learned a lot about the sport of pumping iron.

I'm also a creature of habit. It's all too easy to get stuck in a routine and not venture very far from that which we feel the most comfortable. 

Fortunately, I'm also one who is always looking for new ways to do old things. Such is the case with my at-home workouts. I don't have much for fancy equipment, but I do have a few sets of dumbbells. They get a lot of use, usually weekly.



Since I don't go to a gym, or have a full set of weights at home, I have learned to work with what I have. I've been on the hunt for a couple of sets of heavier dumbbells, but have not had any luck (they've been a hot commodity ever since COVID hit). In the mean time, though, there's plenty one can do with a "limited collection" of hand weights.  

For example:

Do your regular curls, rows, raises and extensions, but do them in slow-motion. Lifting my 12-pound dumbbells is easier for some moves than others. But all moves, even the easier ones, become more more challenging when done slower than usual. The moves become more controlled, and gravity really comes into play. Sometimes, I lift to a count of one, then lower to a count of three. Other times, I do the entire move slowly. Another variation is to lift, hold for a few counts, then lower.  


Do the negatives. Almost every kind of move has a negative component...when you raise the weight(s) upwards, you will also be lowering it back down. Instead of starting in the "down" position, for negatives, you start with the weights already in the "lifted" position. Doing this allows more focus on the downward motion, essentially fighting gravity by going slower. I don't do these frequently, but try to work them in once in awhile for variety.


Static holds for the win! If you really want to UP your resistance game, try holding one (or both) weight(s) perfectly still. You can hold the weights in a flexed position, or in a "neutral" position. My favorite is to do a static hold with one hand while lifting with the other, which also will summon some core strength (to maintain balance). It's helpful to do these in front of a mirror to ensure you're form is good.


Give alternating reps a try. These are a fun challenge for those of us who are coordination-challenged (that would be me!). Instead of working both sides in unison, you're lifting one as you lower the other. You will probably also feel this in your core.


Assume a squat or a lunge as part of the move. This is a great way to incorporate both upper-body with lower-body moves into a single workout. Depending on the upper-body move, your balance will also be tested (thus, strengthened!) and your core will be enhanced.



As you can see, my strength equipment is minimal...8-pound and 12-pound dumbells, and a 15-pound kettlebell. The weight is not overly heavy, of any of them, but by doing several reps I'm able to compensate (somewhat) for the lack of "heavy" lifting. Periodically incorporating these moves, as described, definitely increases the resistance and enhances my training.

Need a few other ideas for at-home workouts? Here's a few related blog posts:

No.Gym.Required. 

Give Me 19 Minutes

Stuck inside? A few non-running fitness options to consider

As mentioned, I'm not a certified coach or a personal trainer. These are strength moves and variations that I have found to work for me. If you're relatively new to strength-training, proceed with the utmost caution until you're familiar with the process. It may be wise to do a little research (or consulting with a trainer) for some initial advice and guidance.

Anyways, this is just one such way I've been coping through the COVID craziness. How have you been holding up? Have you continued to work-out at home, or have you been able to return to a gym? Have you ever tried nay of these variations? 

I'm  linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 


15 comments:

  1. I really need to get weights!
    I have not returned to the gym and I do everything with my body weight. But it isn't enough for upper body strengthening.
    Great exercises, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of body-weight resistance work, too...nothing wrong with that! P90X (at-home DVD's) was where I started with strength-training. It was a perfect fit for me, and totally got me hooked!

      Delete
  2. These are all great tips! I've had some great workouts with alternating reps. I've been worse about strength training since COVID. I used to lift on my lunch break in the office gym and now at home the dog gets an extra walk. I've finally gotten consistent with a body weight routine at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure your lucky dog appreciates that extra lunch rime walk ;-)

      Delete
  3. With all of this good information, Kim, you could be a coach! One tip is to hold your 8 and 12 pound dumbbells together in one hand (criss-cross them to make it easier to grip) so that you have a 20-pound dumbbell. Sometimes the circumference of the dumbbells makes it difficult, but it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have tried doing that with the 8-pound dumbbells (they're a little slimmer than the 12-pounders), and I just cannot seem to get a comfortable grip. Either my hand is too small or I'm not determined enough LOL

      Delete
  4. Yes! You know I am all about strength training as well. Many of the Peloton classes have us doing moves kneeling which really makes things a lot more challenging. I also like to do 1 legged squats and deadlifts for the extra balance challenge. Happy lifting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I totally forgot to mention doing some of these upper-body moves while on a stability ball. OOPS. You turned me on to that little trick ;-)

      Delete
  5. great tips. I have NO weights and the gyms are closed. That's my excuse LOL

    I do admire those that do these workouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a gym gal, so I'm glad the closed gyms never were an issue for me ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm a huge fan of slower movements. It's why I'm actually not super fond of the Peloton strength workouts, because the tend to be doing everything really fast. Slower movements -- weighted or bodyweight -- are harder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love strength training but usually get it through Body Pump classes. My husband does have a set of weights at home that I can borrow, though, if I want to work out aat home. I am going to bookmark this page so I can use it for reference. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you are making the best of the equipment you own, but if you want to get stronger, you need to go heavier. Maybe look to some household items you can lift. Like using the couch to do deadlifts. Stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love strength training. I usually do the same workout though. My lesmills Body Pump. A full body workout so you can't beat it:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! I struggle with strength training...cardio is usually easier for me (although lately that has also been a struggle!!). Thanks for the ideas!!

    ReplyDelete