Thursday, October 29, 2020

"Fall" 'fessions


Time for some 'fessions

Oh yes, indeed. I've got a few to share...

And, guess what? One of them is an actual legit Runfession!

So, let's get this 'fession festival started...

First off, if you'll be so kind to indulge me..the weather. I #Fallfess that this early winter crap ain't cutting it. I feel like I'm not only mourning the loss of my favorite season (Summer), but it appears that Fall isn't sticking around either. We've already had three substantial snowfalls and the wind simply refuses to play nice. I'm really trying to like the fall season, but we haven't really even had a fall season yet in Iowa. On a bright note, I think my acclimation to the cold weather is done.

at least I have plenty of pink cold weather gear

Next, in my quest to appease my biking streak (as my stress fracture heals), I have developed a bit of an OCD thing with cycling gear. Can I #cyclingfess that's it's kind of fun to have another sport, in my fitness arsenal, that comes with its own set of gear?  Although I don't wear a biking jersey for every ride, they do come in handy for the longer rides with all those handy-dandy pockets. Recently, the Quad Cities Marathon dangled a rather tantalizing carrot...and it was a biking jersey! This jersey features a funky skull, depicting the race's name and logo colors. The QCM was my first marathon, and I have nothing but fond memories, so a colorful bike jersey with a artsy pattern? Ummm, sold! 

image from the QCM Facebook page

As of Friday, it's been 72 days since my stress fracture diagnosis. I was recently cleared to resume normal activity, but with caution. Oh, let me #StressFractureFess that I couldn't wait to get back on the stairs and start HIIT'ing again! As I have 'fessed before, on several occasions, stair workouts are like a triple-whammy when it comes to sweat equity...you get the cardio, you get the (simulated) hill-training, and you get some good lower-body strength work as well. What's not to love? 


With the go-ahead to return to running, though, I have mixed feelings. I gotta #runfess that the paranoia of re-injury is real. I have done three (1/2-mile) runs and one (3/4-mile) excursion thus far. All of them went well, and I sincerely felt like I could have run longer. I knew it was in my best interest to not push things just yet, so I didn't. My podiatrist warned me that my foot may hurt, but as long as it wasn't a sharp jolt of pain, it would be alright...but I'm still apprehensive. That said, I'm planning to participate in our town's annual turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning. With four weeks to prepare for it, I'm not worried. If I'm not able to run the entire 5K, I can use run/walk intervals, or I can simply walk if I have to. 


Speaking of the turkey trot...I have to #turkeyswagfess that I registered for a virtual turkey trot, just for the swag. I'll be "virtually" running/walking said virtual trot, via my local trot, so it's all good. Our local turkey trot is in it's ninth year, and it has continued to grow. This year, obviously, we'll have to employ all the necessary COVID precautions. Even though we average around 120 participants, we'll have staggered start times, face covering mandates, and we'll have to skip the traditional group picture. We'll still have donation tubs set up for our local food pantry as well.

The stocking hat and turkey neck buff sucked me in (image from the DSM Turkey Trot FB page)

So, I guess that's enough 'fessing for this go-round. Whew! Do I feel better!

How about you...anything to runfess? Would you register for a virtual turkey trot if you already had plans to run a local one (that didn't come with any swag)? If a favorite race offered a biking jersey (or any other non-running gear), would you be tempted to acquire it? Any plans for a turkey trot this year, virtual or otherwise?

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up.


I'm also linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 


By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter


32 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to for you that you easing back into running again, Kim! I understand your apprehension, rather safe than sorry, right?
    So great that you can still carry out your local Turkey Trot! All our events with more than 50 people have been cancelled as of last Wednesday. It's a shame. I don't see a lot of risk with outdoor, staggered races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myself, I'm not fearful of outdoor events because I know what precautions to take. Unfortunately, as we all know, common sense isn't all that common LOL My friend, who co-organizes the turkey trot with me, drafted a waiver we're going to have participants sign, just to ensure everyone knows the protocol.

      Delete
  2. I am All In on the Turkey Trot front. It's a live race, and I'm after a sub 30. And I further runfess that I've been waiting for November to wear the shirt from last year's trot, which is super cute. I would absolutely positively register for a virtual just for the swag.

    I also runfess that I'm frustrated that I had to miss a 5k training workout yesterday because of the weather. I had to do a "fast" treadmill run instead of 5k specific work because I'm not used to going that fast on the treadmill. We've had rain for daaaays and there's just too much water on the roads to run outside. Whomp whomp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, say no more! All of my runs (even the short ones I'm currently doing) feel "too fast" on the treadmill, even with a very conservative speed setting.

      Delete
  3. I do love all the turkey and holiday themed race swag. Hey why not? It's for a good cause. The stress fracture re injury thing is real. I remember starting w 1/2 mile runs and walks and very slowly amping back up. Better to be cautious for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time acquiring turkey-themed swag, so I'm super excited! Yeah, as much as I love and miss running, I'm totally not in any hurry to resume my "normal" running regimen. I'm just thankful I have an arsenal of other fitness options to keep me active.

      Delete
  4. I totally get your apprehension about your return to running. Interesting that you don’t have concerns about HIIT-ing on the stairs, though! Maybe if you make a plan to gradually increase your running distance, you will feel OK with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, HIIT'ing on the stairway utilizes a different foot placement, so to speak, than running, so I have much less apprehension regarding that. I'm still taking the stairs slower than usual, though. My podiatrist suggested starting with 1/2-mile increments of running, than gradually building from there...so that's my strategy for now.

      Delete
  5. All of that swag for your virtual turkey trot is so cute! I'm planning on running my won 5K or 10K on Thanksgiving, while wearing my turkey costume.

    You apprehension about returning to running completely makes sense. You're doing the right thing by easing into it slowly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that turkey costume! Ugh, the paranoia is crazy with this stress fracture recovery. I'm thankful I don't have any big races/events happening anytime soon.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are cleared for running again, but agree with your slow return plans. Our local turkey trot isn't happening - last year it was 4000 people on a course that winds through narrow streets. No way to social distance for that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That race really seems like a clustering mess! I'd be annoyed even in "normal" times LOL

      Delete
  7. I think I'd be super cautious on a return to running as well. Better safe than sorry right? That bike jersey is awesome! I runfess I'm waiting for you to totally push out of your comfort zone and hit up some tri training. Lots of gear, just saying...haha! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha...well, tri training would be a major comfort zone violation when (IF!) the swimming would come into play...

      Delete
  8. That bike jersey is awesome! I think it needs to be yours ;)

    Would you believe that I have never run a turkey trot?! Every year I say I'm going to and then plans never come together. I think it's great you can still do your local event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bike jersey almost jumped out of the screen at me ;-) I'm totally stalking the QCM site for dibs on when the jersey is made available!

      Delete
  9. As I have mentioned, I am tired of paying money for virtual races. So NO on the virtual turkey trot...I will run on my won for free.

    I get it on the foot thing. I had a stress fracture and I went very slowing easing back in because overdoing is what caused it. Be careful about those stairs too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason I caved on the virtual turkey trot was for the swag LOL Well, and since I Knew I'd have my local one to do so I could wear all the gear. Priorities ;-)

      Delete
  10. Definitely no plan for an in person turkey trot -- the big local one, which I've never done, is virtual anyway. You know that I can be lured by some swag though. :) I just haven't really had time to look at that stuff right now.

    I know that you can absolutely do the Turkey Trot, Kim! But I understand the fear of reinjury too. That just takes time to get over (and I know you will!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not worried about doing the trot because I Know I can walk when/if needed. This turkey swag was just too tantalizing to pass on...

      Delete
  11. You're being very smart! I wouldn't push it too hard at the Turkey Trot, though if the doc says you're fine, I'm sure you are. It's hard not to worry about re-injury though, I definitely do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our turkey trot is more social than competitive; we don't even have registration or timing mats. Ha ha...anyone trying to push themselves at this event would look like a jerk LOL

      Delete
  12. Nice swag for the TT. I can see why you want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's cool that you have cycling to obsess over, now that running isn't happening, at least for right now. Until the Turkey Trot, that is!!! 3 snowfalls already! Ugh!!! I am sad to see summer leave too, but at least it's still fall here in PA. Not ready for the white stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall really got screwed in my area this year. The derecho (three months ago) leveled so many trees, there's only a fraction of them remaining...and the leaves that have fallen have all been blown to the gulf (or somewhere LOL)

      Delete
  14. All that swag is so cool!

    One of our local thanksgiving races is a go, but they are planning on 2000 people, which feels like a lot. I may run the course of the 5K that's closer to my house, even though they aren't doing a real or virtual event this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if we didn't have our local trot, I'd still get out and run (or walk/bike) in the morning anyways. Heck, there's not much else to do while the turkey roasts, right?

      Delete
  15. That Turkey Trot swag is pretty cool! Too bad you don't get anything for the real race.
    Have you ever done a bike race? I think you would be awesome at one! Have a great weekend. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local turkey trot is very casual...more of a community gathering than an organized "race." We've never had shirts, or even registrations. So, when I saw this other event had gone virtual, it was a no-brainer to get the swag ;-)

      Delete
  16. I would totally do that race for that swag. It's so cute.
    I feel you on re-injury fear. Especially when as I recall you don't know what caused it. Glad to see you back on your feet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The consensus is that the injury was from twisting my foot while trudging through/over all the yard debris derecho clean-up. I did continue to run a couple of runs on it, which I'm sure just exacerbated the problem.

      Delete