Sunday, November 22, 2020

Fall's Finale


It would appear Fall's Finale is upon us.

The temps are back to their "seasonal" range, the leaves are disappearing, and the daylight is quickly dwindling. In my little corner of the universe, though, it feels like the fall season was a near-miss.

After all, I spent the majority of the season off my feet. Well, I did some hobbling around (in an ugly orthotic boot), and I enjoyed many miles on the bike. But there wasn't any walking or running until recent weeks, so the opportunities to really see and experience Fall in all its glory were at the minimum.

I'm alright with that, though. I like Fall, but it signifies the end of Summer (which is my favorite season), and we all know what comes next. None the less, this week saw many great things happening in my fitness world and otherwise.

Before I share the nitty gritty details, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 1:00 (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Here's what went down this week:

#NeverMissAMonday. The temps were calm and the wind was MIA, so I took Gustavas out for a quick 5-mile sunrise ride before work. Later, I got out for a 2-mile run for lunch. Let's just say the wind had returned, but it's not as ominous on foot as it is on a bike.


#TakeItEasyTuesday. Kind of an uneventful day, which we all need on occasion. As much as I curse the cold, even I cannot deny the beauty and tranquility of a crisp (20F) morning walk before work. Gustavas and I sandwiched in a 6-mile lunchtime ride, then there was another 2-mile walk after logging off from work. 


#WickedLegsWednesday. Confession: I have a fun (for me LOL) workout I reserve for cold and windy mornings. I run alternate laps around two city blocks in my hilly 'hood. Five laps will yield me 10 hills to conquer and two total miles in distance. I also upped the ante a bit, and did 20 stair flights before (for a warm-up) and 20 flights after (for a cool-down).  There was a 2-mile walk over lunch and then a 10-mile ride on the indoor bike after work. Jelly legs, anyone?


#ThankfulThursday. In the midst of all the Covid stuff, I am so thankful I can do most of my workouts without leaving my house. Thursday morning saw a short-but-sweet mix of upper-body strength work and intervals of planking:

*Left forearm side plank - 1:00 minute
*Arnold presses
*Right forearm side plank - 1:00 minute
*Biceps curls
*Regular forearm plank - 2:30 minutes
*Chest presses
*Left side plank - 30 seconds
*Triceps extensions
*Right side plank - 30 seconds
*Upright rows
*Chatarunga plank - 30 seconds


After work, I had a glorious reunion with Barb! Remember her, my running buddy (and dear friend)? Anyways, despite some wind, Iowa had warm-for-November temps (ahem, 70F in the afternoon), so her and I met up for some post-workday miles on the bikes. It was a race against the daylight...but 12 miles later, I made it back home before dark.


#FullCircleFitnessFriday. I wasn't "feeling" the outdoor scene upon wakeup, so I decided to fire up Ellie (my elliptical) for some action. I honestly cannot remember the last time her and I spent any time sweating together (February?). As I've said before, I'm skeptical of the accuracy of the stats on the display, but the sweat equity is legit. Supposedly, we sweated for three miles in about 24 minutes (which I can't usually run that kind of pace, just saying). After work, it was one of those situations where I was dog tired and brain dead...but I decided to go for an easy 2-mile run. You can probably guess how this played out, right? I returned home with a huge energy re-boost (and may have done five bonus miles on the stationary bike afterwards). I like it when that happens. 


#SensationalSaturday. The hubs and I took Max for a short walk (1/2-mile), then finished up another 1-1/2 miles on our own. After changing out of my winter jacket, I headed out for a #longrunSaturday adventure. Question: When is a simple 2-1/2 mile run worthy of celebrating? Answer: When it's the longest run you've done in three months! Seriously, every run is such a gift. Never forget there's others out there who would gladly trade places with you.


#SundayFunday. With icky weather looming, I opted to keep it inside (at least for the morning). Ellie and I did another three miles (or equivalent LOL), but did shave off a few seconds from Friday's session. Let me just say, in case there's any doubters out there, "no-impact" and "no-sweat" are not the same things when it comes to working out. I'm always impressed with how much glistening and glowing happen on the elliptical. There also was a 10-mile bike ride afterwards (also inside).


So, another week done! It feels so great to be back in the running shoes (and doing more than just walking or biking in them). This week I was able to bump up the "long run" distance to 2.5 miles, and everything feels good. Total running miles came in at 8.5 this week. Walking was strong with 17 miles for the week (possibly a few more before sunset on Sunday). Biking continues to be my main jam, but that will be tapering off after this next week (Day 100 of the streak is next Saturday!)...we had 56 miles logged this week. I'm also glad to have stair workouts back in my routine (though this week's time on the stairs wasn't very intense).

In case you missed out, here's what else went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair!  After two weeks of working from home, I was called back onsite. We have a very minimal skeleton crew in the office, so I feel completely safe. That said, the leggings and hoodies of recent weren't up to snuff...so I went with what I know. Give me my white skinnies, cheetah-print scarf (and booties) and my washed denim jacket, and I'm totally in my comfort zone. As always, you're welcome to join me on Fridays...post a pic on Instagram, grab the hashtag (#FridayFashionFlair) and be sure to tag me (@runningonthefly).


With more COVID safety mandates put into effect, we had to make our local Turkey Trot go virtual. It is what it is, right? Anyways, I'm still planning on running my virtual Turkey Trot 5K (probably with Barb), and will man the food drop-off site afterwards. A big part of our local Trot is collecting food (and monetary) donations for our community food back, so I'm glad that tradition will continue! By the way, my swag for the virtual Trot arrived...and that's the longest neck gaiter ever LOL.  


Finally, biking, oh how I have loved thee! I have not totaled up my YTD biking miles, but the Streak miles are sitting at 1,072 (1,003 of which have happened outdoors, via my mountain bike). I'm quite proud of all the biking, but quite humbled that it's only in the past couple years that I have appreciated the sport itself. I'm just grateful to have another awesome fitness fix in my arsenal, even if it took me a long time to find it.


So, that's it for this week! How are things in your world? Is it feeling like Fall (again? still?), or have the Winter temps arrived? Any plans for Thanksgiving? Turkey Trotting?


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

29 comments:

  1. Oh man, we had wind and winter like nobody's business this week. And then a streak of nice days, go figure. Even though I'm dealing with some kind of "runner's crud" I agree with you that each step is a gift. I will take the bad days!

    Our Turkey Trot is still a go, though our numbers are dreadful so I wouldn't be shocked if it gets cancelled. If it does then I'll just run it on my own. Nothing new there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so crazy windy in Iowa...for most of the past two months. We get plenty of wind in the winter, but never have this much wind in the "fall" season. Even on the warmer days, we've had wind LOL, but at least a warm wind feels better than a cold one.

      Delete
  2. Love your sunrise and sunset shots and hooray for your gentle return to running, well done for being so careful!

    I hit my 1000 miles for the year last weekend and yesterday I reached half way on my virtual Land's End to John O'Groats run, so that's good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on the 1,000! You've stayed real consistent, good job!

      Delete
  3. I am so glad that you are back to running! Every run is a gift. I am loving this cooler weather it's the best for running

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every run is SUCH a gift...I've learned to appreciate all of them ;-)

      Delete
  4. My turkey trot swag arrived yesterday and we got the longest neck gaiter I've ever seen as well! Also, the turkey is wearing a mask. LOL I'm going to run the virtual 5K with my family. We'll run the course and I suspect we'll see lots of other people out and about. The nice thing will be that we can choose whatever time we want to start. After doing run/walk intervals all summer, it will be my first time just running since last December. Wish me luck!

    Thanks for the linkup and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is up with the extra-long gaiters? Maybe they're trying to simulate a "long" turkey neck...even though a turkey isn't the species wearing it LOL. Are you planning to wear your sway for your trot, too?

      Delete
  5. It definitely felt like fall is here and winter is coming. It is great you can do all those workouts from your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That brief summer rewind (a couple weeks ago) was a nice surprise, but also kind of cruel. At least we're only four weeks out from the Winter Solstice...so the daylight will be increasing after that #GlassHalfFull ;-)

      Delete
  6. Glad your return to running is going well! I also love being able to work out from home. I'm signed up for a virtual 10 miler this week. Not sure if I'll do it on Thanksgiving or another day this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love working out from home. I've never been a gym-goer, but really would not be venturing there during these COVID times...

      Delete
  7. It was just announced that our turkey trots will now be virtual also. Bummer because we were doing so well at live races! Good job getting those miles in slowly. Running is a blessing! I'm not sure who will be able to run at our family turkey trot this year, but I hope I will be joined by someone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe all of us trotting on Thanksgiving morning should do some kind of a virtual "share" or "high-5" to each other?

      Delete
  8. I like the TT swag you got! Mine--the half marathon I do every year-- is also virtual. I got the swag this year and it wasn't my favorite. I have to decide how I'm going to run it since the actual course is point-to-point. I'll have to modify it somehow. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've never had swag for our local TT, so this virtual one caught my eye JUST for the swag LOL

      Delete
  9. I thought that Fall was on it's way out this week but then it was 60 degrees on Friday, lol.

    Your Turkey Trot swag is so darn cute! You know I'm a sucker for anything turkey related around this time of year, lol. Our Turkey Trot is also going virtual this year but they are asking for anyone that registers to donate $5 to a local organization called Kids in Crisis, so I love that money it going to charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that the charity will still get some donations! My co-organizer wanted to just cancel our Trot, but I encouraged him to agree to a virtual format...that way we could still have our donations come in for the food bank. This is our 9th year of having the Trot...so next year it gonna be a big deal ;-)

      Delete
  10. Every run IS a gift! It's funny though that non-runners must really not understand that...but running is so special :)

    Love the Turkey Trot swag- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've had a successful rally-back from a major injury, so I know you understand ;-)

      Delete
  11. Of course any miles are worthy of celebration -- I think we lose sight of that sometimes when we're trying to go harder & longer. We are going back & forth between fall & winter. I think I've made my peace with fall -- I'll never be a huge winter fan, but I've come to detach fall from winter. We need both.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...trying to always run faster, harder, longer can cause one to lose sight of the basic beauty of running itself ;-)

      Delete
  12. Yeah it feels like fall slipped away and winter is creeping in. We had a rainy weekend in the forecast but so far that hasn't happened. It's actually in the 50s and I will take it! Congrats on 2.5 miles! The comeback trail is a great one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I missed much of Fall in the running (and walking) shoes, our fall season was really odd in Iowa. We lost a lot of trees (hence, leaves) in the derecho, so there hasn't been as much fall color as in usual times. And, it's been SO windy, the weather has really felt off for the past few months. Then we had snow (early), and heat (late)...it's been so confusing LOL

      Delete
  13. Nice to see you back in running shoes.

    The windy has been crazy here and you know I am not a cold weather person.

    But happy to be out there in any weather. Not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was getting ready to take Scooby out at 6:25 this morning and could not believe it was still dark! Luckily it got light soon after that, because I was not in the mood to deal with my headlamp! Glad your return to running is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always impressed with the amount of activities you do each week. Running alone just tires me out. But I do need to figure out what more I want to do.

    Thanksgiving Plans are still TBD. Not sure if we are staying home or going over to my sister's.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another very active week for you! It's great to see you running - every mile is worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay, Barb!

    I was thinking about your turkey trot this morning and wondering if you would be able to make it happen. I love how you collect food for those in need, and I'm glad that part will still happen.

    We have had some annoying rain lately, but it is what it is. Just need to get through it.

    ReplyDelete