Thursday, December 24, 2020

A Few Final 'Fessions for 2020


Shall we share a few final 'fessions for this train wreck of a year?

Truth be told, while 2020 dumped many unforeseen challenges on us, it wasn't all gloom and doom. After all, I'm a strong believer in finding the sliver lining of every cloud (because EVERY cloud does have one). Let's suffice it to say the past nine months have given me many opportunities to strengthen that skill. 

Recently, there's been a lot of stuff happening...

First of all, the mail. Can I mailfess that my mail-anticipation-stress has been unusually high? These aren't last-minute things that I procrastinated on ordering; these are goodies that have been "in transit" from other peeps. One such item was a holiday shirt, gifted from a team of race organizers as a token of thanks for my service as an ambassador. Only, I've been expecting this gift since November 4th. I didn't have any tracking info, and since it was a gift, I was not about to inquire on its whereabouts. Well, it arrived this week...and it came with an unexpected bonus item, a branded face mask! It definitely was worth the (long) wait, and all is forgiven (it's not like I have a shortage of holiday-inspired gear).


Speaking of holiday-inspired gear, I have had a lot of fun donning the red and green this month. Let me fashionfess, though, I don't have as many items as many would believe. I'm simply an #artgeek who is always mixing and matching pieces to create multiple outfits. Pictured below is my entire Holiday Gear Kit. Actually, only six items are true "holiday" pieces...four inexpensive pairs of leggings and two tops (the socks are cheap accessories), but they filter into the red and green holiday theme. Stay tuned, I might do a separate post showing how these six pieces, when mixed with other basic pieces, have given me 25 different holiday-themed outfits. 


Most know I am not a fan of the cold weather. Although I willingly run outside (most days), I can honestly freezefess that I don't always love doing so. Don't forget, in Iowa, the coldest of the cold is yet to come in January and February. But, we're now on the other side of the Winter Solstice. Knowing the days are getting progressively longer and brighter makes me giddy. 


Although I have had a taste of virtual racing burnout, I have to runfess that I have registered for (yet) another one. I have never done a hot chocolate-themed race, but the Allstate Hot Chocolate series has them happening everywhere. Come January, I'll be in low-key maintenance mode, so a virtual 5K will be a fun thing to look forward to. Plus, the swag is pretty sweet, literally. I'm registered for the Houston virtual, scheduled for January 30th (but since it's virtual, it doesn't have to be run on that actual date). If anyone is interested in joining me (possibly another blogger virtual endeavor?), you can use the code BRHC20 to get a free running hat with your registration. 

Even though this image showcases the San Fran venue, the swag is all the same

Last March (the weekend before Covid-19 hit the fan), the hubby and I ventured to Omaha to run the Leprechaun Chase 10K. Recently, the registration opened for the 2021 event, and the hubby asked if I  wanted to go back (because HE was hoping to). This is one of those events that always sells out, and I suspect the allotted registrations are smaller this year (you know, Covid safety protocol). So, I'll runfess it here and now...we're donning o' the green and going back to Omaha in March. Fingers crossed, the luck of the Irish will be on our side and this race will hold.

Omaha Leprechaun Chase 2020

Finally, as we endure a holiday season like none other, my wish for you is to keep on keeping on. There are many things we cannot control, but our attitude is all on us. Best wishes for a joyous season...stay healthy, keep yourselves safe and smile through all the sweaty workouts.


That's it for me. Since it's Christmas Day, and I have a few things happening, I familyfess that I may be a bit delayed in reading/commenting/replying...but I will respond as soon as I am able. 

How about you? Anything to 'fess up? 

I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up.


I'm also linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 

Are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

18 comments:

  1. Aww I love that shirt from Quad Cities! So fun! The mail has been horrendously slow for months now. My daughter's been tracking a pkg that's been sitting in a distribution center about 30 miles away for 3 weeks! I'm glad your swag finally showed up. The mask is a cute idea. Love your holiday gear too! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcia!! YEs, the mask was a nice touch...and I had contemplated actually buying one, so it was pretty sweet to have one arrive by surprise. The mail is really jacked this year...I have some items arriving in days and others taking 3-4 weeks. It is what it is...

      Delete
  2. I love all of your holiday gear! You know I am a big fan of expressing my fun side while running and sweating. The Quad Cities gear is super cute. Merry Christmas to you my dear friend and thanks for always bringing your positive outlook to everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, dear friend ;-) I agree, it's fun expressing our fun sides via fun gear. Go bright (or obnoxious LOL) or go home!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you have a lot of great holiday gear! I don’t have much, but Santa brought me some new holiday tights I’m excited to wear! We had a warm Sunday a few weeks ago and I wore my ProCompression holiday socks with a SkirtSports running skirt to the grocery store, and I got so many comments about the socks! We’re they laughing with me or at me? Who cares if I brightened their day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, the bulk of my holiday stuff is cheap stuff from Walmart LOL I bet I don't have $100 invested in everything pictured, including the puffer vests. Yes, I get a lot of comments, as well, when I'm out running this time of year...and I'd rather brighten someone's day, even if it's at my expense ;-)

      Delete
  4. I'm good at putting together outfits, but I have enough problems storing gear as it is so typically don't buy holiday themed stuff. I do have a couple of hats & I didn't wear them at all this year.

    I looked at the Hot Chocolate race long ago -- for obvious reasons -- but somehow could never bring myself to register. Enjoy some chocolate for me! Merry Christmas, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done a chocolate race (the Chocoholic 10K), but never an actual hot chocolate one. I'm doing this with BibRave, but the gear is enticing enough I might have done it regardless.

      Delete
  5. I signed up so there's at least two of us.

    I do have a lot of holiday-themed gear. I used to run a 5k each year and it was so fun to dress up. Today it is raining so not sure if I can out there.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I"m glad we'll be "hot-chocolating" together!! I think holiday gear is fun, and mine is all inexpensive stuff that I can layer over "real" gear for warmth.

      Delete
  6. That holiday shirt from the Quad-City is so cool, and I love that it also came with a branded face mask.

    I love that you mix and watch your holiday pieces - it makes it even more festive :) I usually pack away my holiday clothing after each holiday but I need to take stock of my Christmas inventory lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun mixing and matching! Not just with holiday running gear, but with all fashion...it's an easy way to create "a lot" out of "a little" LOL

      Delete
  7. Very cool that you signed up for the Leprechaun Chase 10K in March.
    You can only win: if the live race is held, you win.
    If it is deferred, at least you have trained for it. And perhaps you have a nice weekend in Omaha anyway.
    If it goes virtual - then you run it with your husband and you do a nice 10k together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, Catrina, on the Leprechaun Chase ;-) We've only done the Omaha venue once (last year), because the Iowa no longer happens. It was always a fun annual event the both of us did every year...glad we'll be continuing the tradition ;-)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for being such a bright light of positivity in 2020! I have enjoyed your blog posts and IG post, and of course always love your outfits (both running and your fashion Flair ones). How fun that your husband is the one that wants to run the St. Patrick's day race again. I hope all goes well for you and that the race still goes on! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh, thank you, Meranda <3 I have been surrounded by far more positive peeps than negative ones (though there are a couple doozies out there LOL). I just think it takes as much effort to be positive as it does to be negative...and the results are so much more beneficial for everyone.

      Delete
  9. Love all the themed fess words. This week proved why I'll always be more of a winter than summer person. Cold to start but less miserable for my inner thermostat than peak summer. Love the outfit matching
    You and your #artgeek self really need to visit NYC so we can have a running art tour when it's safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like that swag from Quad cities! I got nothing from ACE but a thanks for your service, but we're not having ambassadors letter. Wow. And that's why I didn't sign up for any of their myriad of virtual holiday races...

    ReplyDelete