Saturday, December 31, 2022

Weather: Say WHAT?!?


Well, well, well, can you say weather whiplash? 

If there is such a thing as weather whiplash, I'd say we experienced it in all its glory (and then some). 

The weather "pendulum" swung from seasonal temps to extreme cold, then did an abrupt 180 to unseasonal warmth. Yikes! Trying to stay ahead of the game, in terms of what to wear and when/where to work-out was a challenge. As a result, the round-the-clock weather stalking took on a life of its own because there was my daily #OptOutside obligation and streak runs to be done.

It's a good thing we runners know how to make do in undesirable circumstances...

Before I dis on the deets, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

 I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here's what went down this past week, in my little world of fitness:

Sunday - Christmas Day fitness fun...
Although the worst of the bomb cyclone had passed, there still was plenty of snow and sub-ZERO temps and extreme wind. In other words, it was another morning of indoor fitness. After popping a few things into the oven, I saddled-up and rode for 20 miles, followed by a quick 1-mile streak run (courtesy of Millie). By evening, the temps were still barely double digits, but the wind had died down considerably so I snuck out for a refreshing 1-mile walk in the crisp air.


Never miss a Monday
We'd gotten more snow overnight, so there were several inches greeting us upon wake-up. The temps were still quite frigid, and the wind was still blowing. I didn't feel like risking a fall in the dark early hours, so I opted for a 2-mile run on the 'mill, followed by a 10-mile bike ride. Of course, I did the mandatory outdoor selfie (by then, there was full daylight and plenty of sunshine). I also grabbed a few extra layers and took a brisk 1-mile walk.
 

Tuesday had me (FINALLY) back outside!
Someone (umm, that would be me, LOL) had an accidental sleep-in, so all I had time for was a quick 10-minute upper-body workout. Over lunch, though, I took advantage of the bright sunlight (and cleared-off streets) and headed outside for a short run. I contemplated a 2-miler...but, with the single-digit feels-like (and teeth-shattering wind), I thought a 1-miler would suffice quite nicely. I was just so glad to be back outside, I honestly did not care how long (or short) the run was. After work, I got in a 20-minute excursion on the elliptical (since it had not happened 12 hours earlier). 


Double workout Wednesday.
Another early morning, I got in a 13-mile ride before heading to my 7:30 PT session. Holy YOWZA! After a 1-mile bike ride (as a warm-up), my gal had me seizing the day with all kinds of leg/glute work. Seriously, these PT sessions are not for the weak, LOL. 


And, over lunch, I enjoyed a nearly perfect 2-miler in the 43F temps. So what if I was in a world of hurt (DOMS from the morning's PT), the streets were clear and I was outside with minimal layers. That evening, I went for a 2-mile walk and almost didn't need a jacket or gloves.


A very thankful Thursday!
The forecast was calling for temps in the mid-50's and sunshine. I started the morning with a very short stair workout and 20 minutes of body weight resistance (via Peloton). When the lunch hour rolled around, I got to bask in two miles of pure runners' joy. Even with lingering DOMS, this run was absolute pure perfection in the 55F temps. My friend and I also took full advantage of the beautiful day and got in two walks (one mile each) during our breaks at work, sans jackets. 


Friday's fitness fun: a biking milestone!
How about an early morning ride to not only kick-start the day, but to also surpass the 3K mile mark in doing so? Not too long ago, if anyone would have told me I'd be riding 3,000 miles on the bike, in a calendar year, I would have laughed in their faces. Well, let's just say I'm ever grateful this biking gig entered my life a few years ago. The fact that yet another Garmin badge popped up, after this morning's 14-miler, was just the cherry on top.


After a sweet, albeit brief, interlude of warm weather, the seasonal December temps did return. By late Friday afternoon, though, the wind had all but stopped. As much as I prefer the heat of summer, the chill of winter is tolerable when the wind plays nice. My 2-mile (post-workday) run was another taste of perfection in the 34F temps. And, the approaching sunset? A show-stopper!


Finish Strong Saturday!
Brrr, the temps were definitely back in their seasonal stride (low-30F's). I started the morning with 10 miles on the bike, awaiting daylight (no sense navigating the potential ice in the dark). Another Garmin badge popped up, rewarding me for finishing 2022 strong. In all honesty, I think I prefer these surprise badges, as opposed to the ones that represent monthly/weekly "challenges," because the WOW factor is pretty nice. Afterwards, I suited up (and layered up) for a quick 1-mile streak run.


...and what's on deck for New Year's Day?
The jury is still out, as far as biking goes. I surpassed my 3K goal, so maybe a morning off will be nice. I'll for sure be greeting 2023 in the running shoes. I mean, isn't that what most runners do?

So, although the weather had me playing a bit of Cat & Mouse, all went well with getting in all the daily streak runs. The treadmill wasn't a deal-breaker, but I felt like a caged bird set free after five straight days of "miling" with Millie. The three 2-milers (Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday) were my three fastest-paced runs of this entire streak (in the 9:40's). Total running miles this week came in at 11; walking tallied 8 (whomp whomp); biking was strong with 72. 

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. It had been awhile since I'd done a brown and black combo outfit, and it was a chilly day, so this brown cable-knit wool sweater was a good choice. The cheetah-print scarf (one of my favorites, just saying) not only kept my neck covered, but it also tied the brown and black pieces together.  


And finally....I want to wish you all the best in 2023! I'm so grateful for my family, my friends, my fitness and well-being, and I wish all the same for you.


How did the final week of '22 play out for you? Did you meet (or surpass) any big goals? Do you have any big plans for 2023?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

36 comments:

  1. the end of this year was tougher than I expected. And that's ok. I'm just tiptoeing into 2023, nice and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on 3k!!!! This week was a mix of downtime and some serious strength work. Today's a rest day and then I'll be back up and at it tomorrow.

    Happy New Year Kim!!! All the best for you in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on hitting that 3K mark on the bike! Your bike has definitely been there for you this year. Here's to hoping for a healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the bike has been such a great addition to my fitness arsenal. It's definitely here to stay!

      Delete
  4. Very impressive mileage on the bike! And wow, the weather is all over the place! Makes for an interesting end to 2022 :) Thanks for hosting the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather really had me (and probably all of us in the Midwest) guessing in these final days of 2022. You're correct, it was VERY interesting, LOL.

      Delete
  5. The weather was wacky here too. I went from wearing fuzzy leggings with a skirt to keep my booty warm to wearing shorts!

    You had a great year, Kim, and I’m sure PT will help you be even stronger in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The swing in weather (and conditions) was totally wacky! I'm grateful for the couple warmer days we had, especially Thursday! It felt so good to be in shorts for an outside run!

      Delete
  6. Wow you rode a lot of bike miles this year!! Super impressive. Glad your weather warmed back up for you. The sun can make all the difference. How great that PT is so helpful for you. Happy New year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the weather warmed up, even if it was short-lived. It gave us a much needed reprieve from the wicked cold.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on hitting 3,000 miles in biking! I hit just barely over 3K, too! We have a few trips planned for 2023, but nothing huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you, too, on the 3K mark! It hasn't quite sunk in just how many miles that really is (in the saddle), because the weekly riding has become such a routine. I'll be curious to see where 2023 takes us!

      Delete
  8. Oops, I hit publish before adding Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on those biking miles... mine still stands at 0. LOL

    Weather whiplash here too. I think it was 50 degrees colder last Sat.

    Hope PT works and you have an injury-free 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was telling a friend that I much prefer the 40F temps this time of year because they feel much "warmer" in the winter than they do in the fall ;-)

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year to you and yours Kim! The weather certainly has been all over the place lately. Today I am grateful it is mild by January standards. I will take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will gladly take the mild January weather as well! My run, early yesterday morning, was 34F with NO wind! If only that could be the norm for the next couple of months...

      Delete
  11. What in the world is going on with the weather??? Your temps were warmer on Thursday than ours were on Christmas. And I had a run in the 50s on Wednesday. Well, seems like things are getting back to normal- it's in the 80s again here.
    Congratulations on finishing the year strong! Nice job with the run streak and cycling miles- great way to say good bye to 2022. happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't the weather been bizarre???? All the extremes are tough to take when they happen so quickly!

      Delete
  12. I'm happy for you that the weather treated you nice and gave you weather for some nice outdoors running! Congrats on your 3k on the bike too! Wishing you a good start of 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susanne ;-) The weather really "owed" me a few nice days after the nasty stuff it gave me the week prior...glad it came through!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on the biking milestone! You definitely finished 2022 strong. Wishing you a very happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! The biking really has become a valuable (and necessary) part of my routine. I'm grateful I have it at my disposal, both indoors and outdoors.

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on your strong work, esp on the bike! No snow here, but volunteering and supporting friends has taken priority over running miles this week. Still reached 900 for the year so happy with that considering the heatwave and my back injury. And how better to start the new year than volunteering at parkun?! Happy 2023 and may it be a good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Volunteering and supporting your friends are fabulous priorities! Hitting 900 miles is a great achievement with all the tough circumstances along the way, so congrats!!!

      Delete
  15. Hooray for nice weather! It got nicer here for a little bit and made all the difference to be able to run outside, even in shorts one day. Congrats on a strong finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The warmer weather was SO needed! I can manage with the bitter cold of winter, but the short warm spell was such a wonderful reprieve ;-)

      Delete
  16. Congrats! I am very impressed with all of your activities. It was a weird week weather wise. I don't mind too much weather in the 30s as long as there is no wind. Here's to a happy and healthy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say this all the time, but I prefer the heat of summer over the chill of winter. Hand-donm, no argument. BUT, when the wind plays nice (or simply is a no-show), the winter weather is quite tolerable.

      Delete
  17. Congrats on a strong week! This winter weather has been all over the place - so glad that the temps are warmer now. Hope your PT continues to go well. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I think our warm spell (and "mild" return to normal) is gonna get spanked this week. We have potential ice headed our way now....

      Delete
  18. Weather whiplash is such an accurate way to describe this past week! I am happy that the cold snap is finally over though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Weather whiplash indeed! My goodness, what craziness you guys had in such a short space of time! But as always, you got those runs and workouts done and FINISHED STRONG! Wishing you the best year ahead and I'm confident whatever comes your way, you will make the best of it!

    ReplyDelete