Saturday, October 14, 2023

Taking the Taper Seriously

 

Another week, another seven days of taper.

What can I say? We all know the benefits to a proper taper prior to race day. 

Without much on the racing roster this fall, I had ample opportunity to thoroughly embrace this taper, and really pay it due respect. Gotta admit, though, the compromised weather definitely helped, LOL. Cool temps, windy temps, damp temps...all made it easy to opt inside and not overdo any of my usual outdoor fitness this week. That was definitely a good thing!

Before I disclose all the deets of my second taper week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



Anyways, here's what went down in Week-2 of Taper...

Sunday = Saturday's delayed longish run
Barb, Allison and myself all had busy Saturdays on deck, so we all agreed to do run "long" on Sunday instead (though I did sneak out for a short shake-out 2-miler Saturday morning anyways, LOL). This 6-miler felt really good, and the 10:09 pace was ever-so-sweet. Temps were in the mid-40's, which is what the forecast has shown all week for race day, and my layering game was on-point. I also got back out for a 3-mile walk, in the late afternoon, but otherwise kept things pretty low-key.
 

Monday = Another Never Miss a Monday run (as per usual)
I kept this run somewhat easy-paced (9:35), and I kept it short (two miles). The wind was a bit crazy, throughout the day, so we didn't do any at-work walking. The temps were more comfortable by late afternoon (though still windy), so I took a quick 2-mile work before dinner. 


Tuesday = low-key action

I had every intention of doing an upper-body strength workout, upon wake-up, but a few extra winks of shuteye won out instead. I did layer-up in full-coverage (including a puffer vest, fleece headband and gloves) for a quick 1-mile walk before heading to the office. There was even some patchy frost on the ground! There were two chilly 1-mile walks at work (but plenty of sunshine), and the "skipped"  strength workout happened after dinner. 
 
Wednesday = double the workouts, double the fun
The temps were, again, in the mid-40's range for the #5at5 with Barb and Allison. So, again, it was another "dress rehearsal" in terms of race day outfit possibilities. Fortunately, we beat the forecasted  rain for our run, but any workday walking wasn't happening. After work, it was still cold, damp and windy, so I opted inside, via the spin bike (10 miles).


Thursday = more inside action
It was very dark, very damp and very dreary upon wakeup, so it was back to the spin bike for some early-morning low-impact cardio. I had a couple of Peloton cycling workouts to keep me entertained for 14 miles. The rain continued on and off for most of the day, but things were looking dry after work. I hadn't been outside all day, other than getting in and out of my car, so I grabbed a warm jacket and fought the 24mph wind for three miles of walking. I also did a light upper-body strength workout, as well as my daily core work, in the evening.


Friday = shakeout run
I wanted to get in a short 2-mile shakeout run, and saw there was a brief window of "dry" opportunity around 6AM. Well, the joke was on me, because about four blocks from my driveway the scattered sprinkles resumed. Thankfully, they were only just sprinkles and not a downpour in the 57F temps. But well played, Momma N, well played, LOL.


Saturday = lots of low-impact fitness fun
After another sleep-in (see, I am taking this taper seriously!), I bundled up for a 2-mile walk in the damp and windy temps. I was really glad this wasn't race day, because it was icky outside! Back home, I hopped on the spin bike for eight miles of biking, followed by some light upper-body strength and the daily core stuff. Boom! Ready for race day!


...and what's happening on Sunday?
As mentioned, I'll be in Des Moines for the IMT Des Moines Half Marathon. As this post goes live, the temps are looking almost race day perfect (high-40's with some wind). I feel ready and am eager to see what these legs, body, and mind can accomplish.


Soooo, I'm very happy with Week-2 of Taper! I kept the runs all moderately easy-paced, and ended the week with 15 miles in the running shoes. Biking was very low, in comparison to the past several months (umm, 32 miles this week), but that's alright (you know, #tapering). Walking was also pretty meager (15 miles), but the weather was very wet and windy most of the week, so there wasn't much for at-work walking. Again, not a big deal...did I mention I was tapering? I kept the strength work to just upper-body workouts, and the daily Coretober Challenge is still going well. Onward!

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. We all know October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and wearing pink is an act of solidarity and support for the cause. That being said, I have worn pink everyday, thus far, in some manner. Some days it's been via workout gear; others it has been with office attire. And, some days, it's happened for both. None the less, an easy way to add a touch of pink, if you're running out of key wardrobe pieces, is to throw on a pink cardi over the shoulders. I have LOTS of black and white in my closet, and adding a  punch of pink was an easy fix.


Finally, it appears Garmin is pleased with my recovery efforts, LOL. This notification popped up this week, which was a nice reassurance I was doing things right.


So, there you have it. Another week of fitness in the books. I'm feeling good; feeling fine.

How are things in your world these days? Are you fighting the weather (precip, wind, cold or heat)? Any big races or events coming up? Are you wearing pink this month?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

25 comments:

  1. I'm calling it - there is a 100% chance that you're going to have an epic race tomorrow!!!! Enjoy every minute of it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The race went well albeit for a small hiccup at the finish line, LOL (Deets in the race recap on Tuesday).

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your race!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great race! Thank heavens it wasn't yesterday as it was so gross out. At least here it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, yesterday was nasty here (as was Friday), but race day was stellar!

      Delete
  4. I hope your race goes well! The weather sounds perfect for a fast finish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a fantastic day today! Looks like you are rested and ready

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really focused on rest this last week, and I do believe it was a good move ;-)

      Delete
  6. What great feedback from your Garmin! I bet this taper will pay off and you will crush your race goals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck on your race! i can't wait to hear all about it. Seems like you had great training, a great taper, and hopefully good conditions on race day- you'll nail it.
    To answer your question, why yes I've been fighting the weather! I can't even believe we live in the same country- it was so, so hot and humid here. UGH. I'm over it. Not quite ready to move to Iowa though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has really gotten cool here. Not winter "cool" yet, but the summer temps appear to be gone for the season.

      Delete
  8. Nice job on your taper! Hope you had a great race (and maybe a PR)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tapering is tough... You know you have to rest but your legs are so used to moving.

    I hope today's race goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! People like you and me are used to daily movement, so the taper is a tough balance between just enough movement and not too much of it.

      Delete
  10. You kept very active this week, and kept it all under control. Well done on your taper!! I hope you had a great race day experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Race day went well. I felt great the entire race, and loved the new course ;-)

      Delete
  11. Nice job on your taper! I sure did miss our Thursday morning workout and chat! It's significantly cooler up here in NY and VT than VA, so yeah, the weather is a big change for me. I'm riding my pink bike a lot. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, I wish I had a pink bike! I'll be glad to have you back, so we can resume our Thursday routine ;-)

      Delete
  12. Good for you for taking the taper seriously. It's hard to do sometimes but definitely pays off on race day! Maybe the weather was conspiring for you to take it easy (or at least easier!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know that the tapering helped you to run a great race.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Frost! Wild!

    I believe I saw a spoiler that you had a great race, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great week! We've had some colder temps (50s) which is making morning walks and runs absolutely wonderful. I love it so much.

    Wearing a little pink for October. It's important to remember.

    No huge races for me, but I'm excited for yours! It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete