Saturday, December 16, 2023

Halfway There!


Things just keep moving right along...

Not only have we passed the halfway mark in December (how is that even possible???), but yours truly passed the mid-point of my winter run streak. Indeed. Truth be told, I'm not sure which is going faster, the final month of 2023 or the streaking.

My theory? The continued (mostly) mild winter weather is what's keeping things pleasantly in motion. While it's been quite cold at times (as it should be this time of year), we haven't had much snow (or even rain) to deal with. For myself, not having to fight the elements makes the great outdoors much more manageable this time of year.

Call me crazy, but I'm good with mild temps, clear streets and a definite lack of ice. 

Before I dis on the deets of the week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)



Anyways, here's what went down this week, in my little corner of the universe:

Slow start Sunday
In an effort to snag a little extra recovery and rest, I'm trying to allow some sleeping-in on Sundays. I know it sounds like a first world problem, but I really have a tough time not rising and shining in the wee  hours. Thankfully, the early morning darkness doesn't beckon me much this time of year (on the weekends, that is). I took my time (there were several blogs to read, LOL), and eventually made my way to the bike for 15 miles of indoor pedaling. Later, around lunchtime, I got out for a quick 1-mile streak run in the bright sunshine (title pic, above). Afterwards, there was more holiday baking on the afternoon agenda.


Never miss a Monday
There was a bright, sunny day in the forecast, so I opted to save the run for the noon hour. Besides, a little extra TLC never hurt no one (nor any dog for that matter).


Over lunch, the sky was so clear and the sun felt so nice on my face, I may have run two miles instead of the 1-miler that was planned. There may have also been negative splits happening, just saying. No regrets! The 37F post-workday temps (with minimal wind!) were too nice to not log a couple of walking miles (so I did).  


Low-impact/high-intensity Tuesday
The early morning was cold and windy (no thank you), so I stayed inside. I found a fun 30-minute interval workout for the bike, and a crazy (10-minute) upper-body burner (both via Peloton). I successfully postponed my run until after work (just a 1-miler), and finished the day with a 2-mile power walk.
 

A (non) Windy Wednesday 
It may have been a chilly #5at5, but the wind was practically MIA. Things that make you go Hmmm, am I right? It was just Allison and myself, this week, and it was nice enjoying the calm morning without numerous layers of gear. Seriously, if these kind of conditions were the norm, I'd have a much better attitude with winter. The temps warmed up to the mid-40F's, by the afternoon. I couldn't help myself, and simply had to hit the streets for a 2-mile walk after getting home from work.


Triple Threat Thursday
How was my Thursday? Since you asked (LOL), I'll tell you it was action packed:
**13 miles on the indoor bike,
**while chatting with Deb (she ran and walked),
**and there was a brief cool-down outside...


Then... 
**there was 20 minutes of banded Barre (Pelo app)
**and some arms/shoulders strength work (also via Peloton)
BTW, that was just in the pre-workday hours. There also was an Ugly Sweater Group Run in the evening (see below).


Friday fitness?
Although I wasn't (surprisingly) feeling tired from Thursday's evening run, I also had ZERO desire to lace-up the running shoes not even 10 hours later. Besides, we had another 50F day on deck, so postponing the streak run until later (in the daylight, nonetheless) was a no-brainer. Instead, I cued-up a Peloton run and hit the elliptical for 32ish minutes (and "five miles") of fasted cardio action.


...and the streak run (just a quick 1-miler) happened over lunch, in the pleasant "December-in-Iowa" temps (and, again, in shorts!).


Not-so-slick Saturday
You know what they say (or maybe it's just me?)...a busy day starts with an early morning. Amazingly, Momma N granted me a damp, but precip-free, window to get my run done. The streets were wet, but I didn't have to deal with rain (#bonus) for my brief 2-miler. I hustled back home, and was on the road a short while later, headed to an out-of-town wedding for the day and evening.


...and what about Sunday?
The busy weekend continues, with travel and other festivities, but the weather is looking sunny (again)  and warm (still). I'm hoping to squeeze in a short streak run in between all the action. Stay tuned!

So, this was quite a week! The run streak is going well, and (so far) has been pretty low-maintenance. This week saw 16 miles in the running shoes. Walking was a bit on the bleak side (again), but with the run streak it's not a deal-breaker (just eight "official" walking miles). Biking wasn't anything stellar, but not a deal-breaker either (36 miles in the saddle). Strength training was short and sweet, but that's honestly all I seriously had time for. I'm keeping consistent with the planking (forearm and side planks) and wall sits. All is good.

In case you missed out, here's what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. Anyone else mad about plaid this time of year? Shirts, shawls, wraps, and scarves...oh my! Not only are the fuzzy fabrics cozy, but the color combinations are so bright! How can you stay cold and gloomy (despite the usual temps outside)? 


As mentioned, I joined a group for an Ugly Sweater Run on Thursday evening! This was a bit of a spontaneous endeavor, but the weather was fabulous (mid-40's...in Iowa...in December!). The route was just over 3-1/2 miles, had some decent hills, and we kept a somewhat speedy pace. It was kind of comical...we took turns shedding the gloves, hats/headbands, and outer layers, and many of us were in shorts! I'd been following this running club for awhile, and already knew a few members, so I thought "Why not?"

***group pic courtesy of Matt from the Altoona Running Club

And, 'tis the season for all the baking! Here's a hack for keeping your hands out of the sweets: schedule your annual physical (and subsequent blood work) during the holiday season, preferably the week following a marathon baking weekend. I have a tough time resisting all the holiday goodies, but I didn't want to risk skewing my lab work with excess sugar consumption in the days prior (blood work was Friday morning, and my physical is happening on Monday). This definitely was a fabulous test of my will power!


So, that's the latest and greatest. The holiday season is keeping me busy, but I enjoy the seasonal chaos. The run streak has always been a great distraction, and (as of Saturday) I'm already at Day-25, with 65 streaking miles completed. Only two weeks remain!

How did your week play out? Keeping busy, as well? Is the fitness staying on track?   

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

24 comments:

  1. You did have another fun and busy week! The sweater run looks super fun. Glad the winter temps have been kind to you so far. Way to go on the run streak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The week did keep me busy, but it was full of fun stuff...so all is well with that ;-)

      Delete
  2. I’ve been pacing myself with our cookies — I keep them in the freezer and thaw a few at a time — and then fight my husband for them. ;-)

    With no long run to fit in, I’ve been sleeping in on the weekends — until 6 or so. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Sundays have kind of defaulted to my sleep-in day. Mind you, I'm still awake "early," by many others' terms...but a couple extra hours of slumber seems to be what my body is needing.

      Delete
  3. Look at all those cookies! I have been such a slacker. I really need to get baking!

    The sweater run looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm contemplating baking more...but then again, I have a decent stash for the moment, LOL!

      Delete
  4. Whew! What a busy (and fun week) for you! We don't get a lot of sun, although obviously yesterday was quite mild & sunny -- but don't worry, days of rain (well a couple) are on tap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not supposed to be getting any precip for awhile. It's gonna be a brown Christmas here, I'm afraid...but at least we won't be drowning or stranded inside due to any blizzards ;-)

      Delete
  5. You know i'm glad that so far no snow or ice. I don't ever use a TM and I hope to keep it that way... just have to be creative with runs.

    I have zero will power when it comes to sweets but I figure it's only once a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My willpower isn't very strong when there's sugar involved, but I proved that wrong last week. This week? Different story, LOL!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a fun week! I'm glad the weather cooperated so you could enjoy your runs. The ugly sweater run sounds especially fun. Your cookies look delicious! Im intrigued by those ones that kind of look like pretzels. And I like your holiday hack for staying away from them- I wonder how many people have skewed blood test results in December!
    Great job on the streak, and yes- I can't believe how fast the month is going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones that are pretzel-shaped (upper right corner) are kringle (pronounced "kring-la"), a Norwegian soft dough-like cookie; kind of tastes like shortbread.

      Delete
  7. Great week Kim! Glad the streets are ice free and love those mild temps. Your cookies look so festive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The weather has been amazing! We're going to get a storm tomorrow but that's a problem for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, all the baking! You've been busy for sure. I did my baking today - one cookie type only.
    That ugly sweater run sounds like so much fun! Isn't it wonderful with 50F, no snow and ice this time of the year? Please God let it remain...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would like a little bit of snow for Christmas Day, but then it can all disappear for another 364 days ;-)

      Delete
  10. Your ugly sweater run looks fun! Our MRTT Christmas lights run will be while I'll be at Mom's so I'll miss it. And I still haven't done any baking. I'd planned on doing it this afternoon, but something else came up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweater run was fun, and it was great meeting so many new people! I had my blood work the next morning, so couldn't partake in the post-run food or festivities ;-(

      Delete
  11. I am baking today. I'm a little tired, but I'll get it done. I'm not making nearly as much as I usually do, because... I just don't feel like it. I'm still catching up on things from when I was sick, but it's getting better. I love the fashion this time of year, and I've been definitely making the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fashion is fun and festive, I'll admit that's one nice thing about the winter season!

      Delete
  12. Way to go on your streak!! I've been letting myself sleep in one day on the weekends lately and it's glorious. It doesn't happen often but on Saturday, I actually slept (!) til 10 am. That rarely happens but I guess my body needed it. Luckily, it knows that it can sleep when there's no alarm set and doesn't wake me up in the early morning hours when I usually get up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I have been sleeping in a bit, I'm still waking up pretty early (like, around 6-6:30). I'd love to sleep until mid-morning, but my brain just won't let me do it.

      Delete