How is August (already) coming to a close?
Anyone have an answer? Anyone? Bueller?
My best defense, in terms of the upcoming change of seasons, is to embrace every remaining moment of Summer while it’s still clear and present. Thankfully, this week afforded me such a luxury!
Before I get tot he deets of the week, welcome to the
Weekly Run Down!I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blog as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)
Anyways, here’s what went down this week, amidst the continued summer conditions:
Sunday - a sudden preview of Fall temps
Prior to getting to church, I headed out for a 3-mile walk amidst the sunrise. I kept really good sub-15 pace, but Holy Brrr, Batman! Those 55F temps were chilly for the first two miles!
Never miss a Monday
It was another chilly morning. I got out for a couple of miles in the running shoes (title pic, above), then hit the basement for some lower-body work. Lunges and Squats for the win!
Tuesday - active recovery & low-impact moving and grooving
Feeling sorta out-of-sorts, my usual eagerness for an early morning walk was MIA. Instead, I hibernated in the basement, and opted for a stack of Peloton workouts arms, shoulders, and core), How out-of-sorts was I, exactly? I totally forgot to post said workout on social media, LOL! I did get in my 2-mile lunch walk, through, and a 10-mile bike ride after work.
Double-Run Wednesday
As per usual, I met with the run group for our weekly 4:45AM run. The temps were somewhat cool, but the humidity was heavy. Bill peeled -off at the 2-mile mark, and Hannah and Kelly called it quits after three miles. I stuck around and made it to five miles.
With a busy evening on-tap for Thursday (dinner plans and viewing the lunar eclipse), I opted to do the August full moon run an evening early. The moon looked every bit as full, the sky was crystal clear, and the temps were pleasant. Done!

A very Thankful Thursday It was another early morning, with the weekly meet-up with Deb. It also was another somewhat chilly morning (there seems to be a pattern here). I finished our virtual cardio hour with four miles walked.
Afterwards, it was all about the arms (with a little bit of core squeezed in).
As mentioned, there was a lunar eclipse happening Thursday evening. I headed outdoors around 10:45, and saw things were already in motion. It was around 11:15 when most of the moon was in the earth’s shadow. Totally a neat thing to witness!
Easy-peasy Fitness Friday
Anticipating a busy Saturday, I kept things fairly light for Friday. I witnessed another beautiful sunrise (on another cool morning), but was blessed with warm (and not too humid) conditions for my lunchtime walk…outdoors! There may have been some rocking & rolling at the evening’s concert at the Des Moines World Food and Music Festival.
Long(ish) Run Saturday
There were tentative plans on a long bike ride, but the unexpected rain put a small damper on that. I got out for a run, and within the first mile there were sprinkles hitting me. By the time I made it back home, almost 6-1/2 miles later, the sprinkles had progressed into a steady rain, and the wind had picked up considerable. Ugh.
…and what about Sunday?
With Saturday’s bike ride being a rainout, I’m hoping the rain-check can happen Sunday late-morning/afternoon. Nonetheless, there will probably be some walking in the early hours before heading to church.
So, a decent week! I’m glad we still have the summer heat (sorry, not sorry), although the daylight is now questionable. Such is the season. Running saw 15 miles. Walking had 26. Biking was weak, due to Saturday’s rainout, and only had a mer 10 miles.
In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog:
In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair. Although the daytime temps are still decently warm, the office temps are still pretty chilly. I decided to fight fire with fire, and pulled-out my red maxi cardigan. After all, it’s bright and warm, so why not?
It was a rather busy week, in terms of Garmin badges.
Finally, I might have mentioned my obsession for orchids in prior posts. All of said orchids are currently in dormant phases. This little beauty caught my eye at the grocery store, and somehow would up in my car and is now residing in my house.
That’s my week! All done, and moving ahead to September.
How did your week play-out? Still feel like summer in your ‘hood?
No comments:
Post a Comment