Saturday, September 19, 2026

Damp & Dreary; Not the Least Bit Weary


Rain, rain, and more rain.

Last week’s 7-day forecast looked damp, and it wasn’t too far off. Not only were we blessed with almost daily precip, we also had plenty of humidity during the “dry” periods between the rainfall. To coin what should be a patented mantra, at least it wasn't snowing.

Before I dis on the deets from the damp and dreary week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!

I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)


Anyways, here’s what went down this week in my little world of fitness and whatnot:

It was an Eaasy-Like-Sunday-Morning kind of day
The day prior had been action-packed. There had been a 7-ish-mile run, amidst very hot and humid conditions, followed by an afternoon of tailgating (with numerous walking steps while doing so), and then an evening of football. Nonetheless, I still wanted to get out for some movement in the morning hours, but had to dodge a few raindrops to do so. Alas, I barely finished a 2-mile walk before another round of rain showed up…and that was all she wrote.


Never miss a Monday
The rain was due to arrive mid-morning, and last for the entire day (and into the evening as well). I took a chance and got out for a quick 2-mile run before the sunrise. The rain actually showed up earlier than forecasted, so this was a good move, as it hit just after I returned home. 


Another Typical Tuesday
I might have still been in recovery-mode from the weekend, as it was a major challenge getting out of bed that morning. I usually sleep really good when it’s storming outside, but I also seem to wake-up feeling more tired. I barely had time for a session of shoulders and arms, courtesy of Peloton, but upped the weights to make it worthwhile. I did get my 2-mile lunch walk done in record time, though, as well as a quick walk around the block with Max after work. 


Double Workout Wednesday
It was touch-and-go with the Wednesday morning weather forecast, but we were able to get our weekly 4:45AM run done. I stuck around and ran the usual two bonus miles, ending the morning with five total miles. As was forecasted, the rain returned by the time I was headed to the office. 


Since it had been a hot minute since I’d been on the bike, I treated myself to a 15-miler after work (obviously in the basement).  


Triple Workout Thursday!
Again, there was more rain falling. The weekly cardio gig with Deb had me back on the spin bike, this time for 17 miles.

Collage courtesy of Deb

After we parted ways, I cued-up a stack of Peloton strength workouts. There was a lot of sumo deadlifts (#OOF) and side lunges (#DoubleOOF), followed by more shoulders and arms strength work. Suffice it to say that everything from the shoulders and down was on fire.


Then, after work, I made my way over to the Thursday evening group run. Thankfully, all the rain had moved out, but the air was humid and hot. And, oops I did it again…another tempo-ish pace with negative splits. These runs always have me running faster than expected, but they do feel great!


A low-key fitness Friday
It was another morning with a later-than-usual start to my day (I blame the previous day’s endeavors, LOL). I had time for a quick walk before work, then it was a busy workday with a company event that had me on my feet for several hours. With an anticipated long-ish run on-deck for Saturday, I was alright with the limited “intentional” movement (but still had over 10K in steps for the day).   


Saturday - a long run rainout = a long (inside) ride…
Have I mentioned the crazy rain this week? It also wreaked havoc with my planned run for Saturday morning. I did an impromptu pivot, and hit the spin bike for 25 miles instead. The cardio was sufficient, and the sweating was on-point (requiring two towels by the time I dismounted). Alas, Garmin rewarded my efforts with the September Weekend 40K badge. 


Then, I was off to a football game watch with a few of the gals. The Iowa State Cyclones hosted the Bowling Green Falcons, defeating them 55-7. A short while later, the Iowa Hawkeyes hosted the University of Northern Iowa Panthers, and came away with a 55-0 victory as well. So yeah, it was a great day of football! 

Don’t worry, I swapped-out the Cyclone gear in time for the Hawkeye game

…and what’s on-deck for Sunday?
As this post goes to press, the forecast is looking dry in the early hours of Sunday morning. I’m hoping to lace-up and get out for 5-6 miles before heading to church, to stay on-track for the upcoming IMT Des Moines Half Marathon next month. Fingers crossed Momma N cooperates!

Despite the excessive rain, I’m happy with all that happened this week. Running saw 10 miles (with another 5-6 miles after Sunday morning). Walking was mediocre, with 13-ish miles logged. Biking took a turn for the better, after Saturday’s ride, ending the week with 57 miles. 

In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog this week:

In other news:

Friday Fashion Flair. It was a busy, busy day! When there’s an offsite company event, it’s usually good protocol to sport the appropriate swag…especially if you’re one of said event’s committee members. 


As mentioned, the rain has been crazy! There has been an abundance of precipitation for September, and we’ve barely passed the midpoint of the month. This next week’s forecast is looking very similar, unfortunately, with even cooler temps. 


And, that’s a wrap! I was not happy with all the rain this week, but at least the temps were still pretty much summer-like. I guess it’s expected for the temps to be shifting, given the official start Autumn. That doesn’t mean I have to like it, LOL. 

How did your week play-out? Any rain? Cooler temps? Upcoming races? 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

1 comment:

  1. More rain that the 5 previous Septembers combined?? That's a lot of rain!!
    Well done on pivoting “long run in the rain” to “fine, I’ll ride 25 miles instead”! And 57 bike miles for the week is impressive!
    I hope the weather cooperates for those 5-6 miles today!

    ReplyDelete