Friday, December 8, 2017

Baby it's Cold Outside


Baby, it's cold outside.

Ugh. Welcome to Iowa. I'd offer to take your jacket, but you'll probably want to keep it.

After a nice little late summer/early fall-like weather reprieve, Momma N got down to business and handed us the REAL winter weather we'd been lacking. I was able to keep it outside, but Holy Chilly Cheeks, Batman, it was cold.


Monday started out with the last remains of the previous week's unseasonably warm weather...so I took advantage. After all, it was almost 60-degrees at 5:30 in the morning. I guarantee you that does not happen in Iowa in December very often (if ever). I even celebrated the occasion by wearing shorts for my #nevermissaMonday excursion.
two early morning Monday miles
Things took a drastic turn for the cold on Tuesday. Barb and I met up for a #5at5 but elected to run a different route to stay out of the wind as much as possible. Yes, that's almost a 50-degree drop in feels-like temps in 24 hours. YIKES.


I'm really glad I wore the neck gaiter...
Wednesday was another cold and windy day. I did a quick early morning walk around the 'hood and decided to postpone the streak run until the afternoon, when I knew there'd be sunshine. Mission accomplished....the temps were still sub-freezing, but with the sun on my face the wind didn't feel so bad.


Ah, the sun makes everything better
Thursday was another brutal morning....the temps were -1F with the windchill! I layered up (in a full jacket), did my 1-mile streak run, and headed promptly back inside. Knocking out 20 flights of stairs in a heated house definitely warmed me back up.


Brrrrr....my first "feels-like" sub-ZERO run of the season
Not much on tap for Friday fitness-wise.....but the temps, though still cold, were 10-degrees warmer than Thursday! I'd call that a win!


Another streak run done
Saturday was (again) another brisk morning in Iowa (something tells me it's here to stay). Barb and I hooked up for six miles in the early hours. We started at 6:30 under still-dark skies, but we had full daylight when we finished.
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, outdoor
Nailed the layers, so I never felt cold
Sunday was such a bright, sunshiny day! Just an itty bitty single mile to keep the streak alive. There may have been some serious cardio (via Christmas shopping) later in the afternoon...
Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor and nature
I love me some sunshine!
So, that's my week all wrapped up. Mileage in the running shoes came in at 18. There was quite a bit of walking as well, but I'm not tracking those miles anymore.

In case you missed them, here's my posts from last week:
Awaken
Jingle Bell Run 5K recap
'tis the Season for Inspiration

In other news:

Good news arrived in my inbox on Friday afternoon! I was selected for the 2018 Rock'n'Blogger team for the Rock'n'Roll Marathon Series races! I have done three of their events (Las Vegas November 2017Chicago July 2014 , and St. Louis October 2013 ), and all have been so much fun! 

No automatic alt text available.

Did you catch my #FridayFashionFlair post on Instagram? I highlighted my new favorite winter must-have...a blanket scarf. These scarves are so warm and cozy, and having another buffalo plaid piece in my wardrobe makes me ever so happy. Join me! Every Friday, I post a featured outfit on Instagram, and I'd love to see YOU there! Post a pic, use the hashtag #FridayFashionFlair, and give me a tag (@runningonthefly). Easy peasy, right?
All cozy in my blanket scarf
My holiday baking has begun! Here's a preview ....


And, finally, how about an update on my run streak? So far, so good! My streaking mileage (since Thanksgiving Day) is at 46 miles. When this post goes live (Sunday, Dec. 10th), my streak count is at 18 days. I've been able to do all of my runs outside, and that's quite a feat considering the cold temps we had this past week. But, as most of you know, I will do (almost) anything to avoid spending time with 'Milly.

How was your week? Is it as cold for you as it has been for me? Thankfully, we have ZERO snow. There have been some flurries in the air, but nothing has really accumulated in my area. Knock. On. Wood.

By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

I'm linking up with my gals, Holly and Tricia for the Weekly Wrap. This weekly check-in is such a great place to connect with fellow fitness-minded peeps. Please join us! 


37 comments:

  1. We have a dusting of snow--it was just enough to be annoying! It was kind of nice to have it for the race yesterday, tho. I can't remember the last time I ran a Christmas race when there was snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a bit of snow for a holiday-themed race. I think it was last year I had a Christmas race...and the temps were in the upper 40's. I think that may have been my one and only bare-legged race in a Santa hat.

      Delete
  2. The tempos havent been too bad yet, but we had our fist snow on Saturday. It seems to early for that! I'm not at all ready for freezing temps and single digit windchills. Congrats on being selected as s Rock n blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dreading the single digit temps and bitter wind, too. At least the Winter Solstice is not too far away...and the days will (slowly) be getting longer ;-)

      Delete
  3. I am trying to do the run streak as well. I was struggle a bit this weekend since I have been fighting a cold but I still managed at least a mile. Does it still count if it's a walk? But it's not called a walk streak. So I at least did a run/walk interval. Congrats on being selected a Rockin Blogger. We have done that a few years but found ourselves not taking advantage of all the races. Yea the race entry is free but the expense to get to the race is not and that adds up quickly. I give ya credit for completing all your runs outside so far. I am a wimp and only did one run outside this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could count the run/walk as part of the streak, as long as you're doing it every day. The Rock'n'Blog will be fun, but since I'm in Iowa, I'm not very close to any of their events (Chicago is the closest at 4.5 hours away). I certainly will not be doing them every month, but am hoping to visit a few new states and cities.

      Delete
  4. Seriously, we have had the strangest unseasonable weather here....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that I would not get out of bed at that hour in those temps! Unless you bribed me with those pretzel and peppermint snacks because those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather was kind of similar here too. We got snow this weekend and it's colder, but earlier this week it was in the 50s I think!

    Yay for being a member of RockNBlog! I'm back for my second year with the group and I really hope I get to see you at a race next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna try to venture out to Pennsylvania. Our oldest daughter is in the Hanover/Gettysburg area, and I'd love to visit her AND do a race with some of my PA posse ;-)

      Delete
  7. I thought about you as we had atypical cold weather and SNOW this week. WTH? My two halves were about 40 degrees different. Congrats on being selected as a Rock'n'Blogger. They do know how to put on a great race. Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy! There seems to have been snow everywhere...in the south (???)

      Delete
  8. I think you need to experience an upstate NY winter. We never got those warm temps. There's been almost no sunshine. I've already had to shovel the driveway (takes an hour) & more snow on the way next week.

    Have fun with whichever RnR races you decide to do. I've done a few, but I'm not really a super fan of them, and have no plans to do any in the immediate future. Actually, I don't really have a plan for 2018 yet ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, these Midwest winter temps are very atypical. We usually have nonstop wind, and blizzard-like conditions all winter. We certainly get plenty of snow dumped on us as well. I know this "lack of snow" party is not gonna last much longer...

      Delete
  9. I would love to say "Baby, it's cold outside" but unfortunately Texas can't make a decision! We had "feels like 28" early last week, but we are already back up to the 70s. Makes it hard to get dressed in the mornings lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The changing weather really makes getting dressed a challenge, no doubt. It gets so cold here,when we do get a "warm" day it throws a major curve into our lives LOL

      Delete
  10. Congrats on being selected for team rockin blog! How fun!! Do you have your eye on any 2018 races yet? Holy temperature swing! We are down to the 30's so far for the most part. I'm ready to just fast forward to spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I'm ready for spring, too. Of course, I do like a little bit of snow the week of Christmas, but after that I want my spring!

      Delete
  11. That was quite a temperature drop! I haven't had to brave the 20s yet this year! I'm all about the baking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd say mama N served up a big slice of winter after those mild temps we had. The wind was the worst of it. I wouldn't mind more snow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind has been terrible! I'm alright with the lack of snow LOL

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on being a part of Rock ‘n’ Blog! I hope our paths will cross sometime this year! Come to California for RnR San Diego! No below fewwzing temps there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Diego has been on my radar forever, but it's always the same weekend as Dam to Dam...my favorite race ;-(

      Delete
  14. Colorado weather is really weird right now. We're normally in the 40s for a high this time of year, and today we're going to be near 60! I'm used to this weather for Christmas, but it's strange to be in a place where I was expecting snow by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not had snow, which is odd considering how cold it's been. But the wind has been brutal!

      Delete
  15. Congrats on Rock 'n Blog!! We got served up a couple of freezes and snow this last week... but we're back in the 70s today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our cold weather is here for the next several months ;-(

      Delete
  16. Great job dealing with Mother N's cold blast! Things got real here once she dropped on snow on us this weekend.

    Congrats on RnB - hope this means we can meet up in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we can meet up as well! You've been on my bucket list for awhile ;-)

      Delete
  17. Yay for Rock n Blog! How fun :) I was a blogger one year and never did any of the races. Whomp whomp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll be able to do a lot of the races (unless they add some to the great Midwest LOL), but I'm looking forward to seeing a few new cities ;-)

      Delete
  18. Welcome to Rock 'n' Blog! It would so awesome to get to meet you on the tour somewhere (SAVANNAH!!!!) in 2018!

    We had a hard frost this week. Yes. That means there was legit ice on the car. Brrrrr. You're doing great out there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We've had unseasonably warm temperatures - which here means barely above freezing. It's actually the worst because it gets warm enough to melt the snow just a little and then refreeze. The teens/single digits are actually some of my favorite weather to run in because my body doesn't understand temperature like a normal person's.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great week! It's been so warm (almost hot) here in Colorado and I'm tempted to actually run. Lol. Good job on getting after it even with the frigid temps!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job on that running streak!! Can you believe we actually had snow down here last Friday?? It’s been 8 years since it has snowed. Hope you’re having a great week!

    ReplyDelete