Thursday, December 14, 2017

More INSPIRATION for Advent


I'm all about Inspiration.

Sometimes, I can do it on my own. Other times, a little prompt or key word will do the trick.

Such is the case for me for this Advent season. I have been following the #AdventWord2017 Challenge on Instagram (take a look HERE), and it's been a fun little way of throwing some thought, preparation, and purpose into my posts.




Last week, I shared the first five words, and what they inspired in me to think about (you can read that post HERE). This week, I'm sharing a few more words of inspiration and their significance to me.

Mend
Up until a couple years ago, a new set of “hands” was added each year to one of our family's Christmas tree skirts. Alas, the skirt ran out of real estate, so the annual #mending ceased. It’s fun to see how our three kids’ hands have changed through the years. I started this tree skirt tradition in 2002, which was our first Christmas back in Iowa (we had been in the East Lansing, MI area for seven years prior).
Hands of all sizes...mended to the same tree skirt
Focus
Keep your #focus on the task at hand and you won’t feel the chill in the air. Brrrrr! Saturday morning was a cold morning...the temps had a feels-like of 12-degrees(F) with the 19mph wind! Honestly, though, I had the correct amount of layers and (other than my face) I never felt cold.  
Keep the focus
Prepare
When it’s the Christmas season, I️ get busy in the kitchen...#preparing for all kinds of sugar indulgences. I enjoy baking, but I especially enjoy it during the holiday season.  Most of these goodies are given away or shared at gatherings, so the temptation isn't too strong to over indulge myself.
yum!
Messenger
This little guy, Maxton McArthur. He’s the ultimate#messenger .... warning us when another dog walks by outside, getting excited when Daddy is pulling into the garage, or pacing back & force by the door when he needs to take care of his doggy business outside. Max joined our family almost three years ago, and every day we give thanks for adopting him from a nearby shelter. 
Max is our  messenger
Watch
Set your sights on the positive and #watch what develops. 2017 tried to throw me a curve ball almost six months ago, but I rallied back and am stronger for the experience. I was pleasantly surprised to see that most of the pics in my #2017bestnine were from my return-to-running experience this fall. I had SO much encouragement and support from so many wonderful people...thank you, Everyone!
Watch what you can do when your glass is half full

...and a Bonus...
I'm gonna go rogue and combine a couple more words into a #BonusFeature, because they reflect what I'm all about, not just this season, but in ALL seasons with my running. The words #Voice and #Wilderness. Our Iowa weather was wickedly cold and windy this week, but on Wednesday, the winds were blowing at 32mph! I kid you not! Momma N's #voice was howling quite loudly, but I chose to ignore it. The two miles that I ran were tough, but certainly not impossible...and I'm glad I didn't stay inside. Then, on Thursday, the temps were similar, but the wind was gone....and I had a tranquil and beautiful run at our town's little lake. Again, I was outside, and got to thoroughly enjoy the #wildnerness while doing what I love...running! I'm a strong advocate for being outside, even if only for a short 1-mile streak run. The fresh air is euphoric!



Above left...feeling victorious after facing Momma N's fierce wind, and (above), enjoying my run on the trail
So, there's some inspiration from the week! Do any of these words have significant meaning to you? Do they bring back memories? Have any of them inspired you to reflect on the holiday season?

***By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

I'm linking this with Meranda and Lacey and Rachel for the Friday Five 2.0. 

35 comments:

  1. Focus is such a great one, especially this time of year when its hard to focus but so important! We had a cold front come through this week and the wind was brutal on Wednesday. It definitely helps to just keep moving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Advent Word. I have only heard of an Advent calendar my parents would get us for the month of December. I loved eating those little chocolates. I gotta hand it to you for still running outside, especially in the wind. I am such a wimp and have been on the treadmill a lot lately. Hey thanks for my little goodies in my Christmas card. That was so thoughtful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your card arrived! We've had Advent calendars for the kids (and have kept the tradition even though they no longer really care about it). I saw the Advent Word thing via Coco's blog, so I jumped on the wagon, so to speak.

      Delete
  3. Love how creative you have been with your Advent words super fun! Your pretzel cookies look like a great way to indulge a little. I love that flavor combo do you have the recipe? It's fun to look back at the best nine isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, I chose to stay inside most of the week. It's too cold to even walk the dogs, although I hope to get out with them today, finally. We have feels like negatives and single digits in the afternoons. And plenty of wind.

    It's not that I can't run in that, it's that I don't need to & I don't want to. Good for you for braving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had such crazy wind for Iowa...even crazier than usual.

      Delete
  5. This year I signed up for the Advent Word emails and I have really enjoyed them. I will do the same next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Advent Words have been a fun challenge! I've tried to keep my posts more running-based (since my Insta account is more fitness-based than "personal), but that's not always possible.

      Delete
  6. Advent word looks like a fun challenge that helps us be more mindful of the season. Fun interpretations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....the season is more than just presents and sugar LOL

      Delete
  7. I've enjoyed your Advent posts - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been fun trying to work them in to my posts...

      Delete
  8. Your little Maxton is so beautiful! My cats tend to only message me when it's time to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Max is so cute! Allie's been with me for almost 4 years, and I love every day with her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your idea of adding hands to the Christmas tree skirt! I am going to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad I did the yearly hands on the tree skirt...but it did get to be a chore trying to do the hand prints differently each year, and I did it all by hand...UGH!

      Delete
  11. Aw what a great post. Your pup is adorbs. And I love your tree skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The words are certainly a great way to bring meaning to the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really enjoyed the Advent Words! It's been a fun, though meaningful, challenge.

      Delete
  13. What a fun challenge! And I love pretzel chocolate combos - salty sweet goodness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...pretzels and chocolate (though these are actually Hersey's peppermint kisses) are a perfect combo!

      Delete
  14. This is so fun! I've never heard of advent words before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had seen the Advent Words last year, but only after the season was half over. This year, I happened to see it right as it was beginning, so I played along ;-)

      Delete
  15. My dog is definitely a messenger too! lol but I love her for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max is our first dog, and he's been so much fun! He keeps us laughing!

      Delete
  16. You're doing better than I am with #AdventWord! I love your tree skirt tradition. It's time to add a second layer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Oh no, the tree skirt is good as is LOL The kids' hands are done growing (I hope!).

      Delete
  17. This is great inspiration for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have nerver done the Advent Word, just calendars. This is such a great idea, I love the words you have chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the Advent Word idea, and really any reminders of Advent. I am not a fan of jumping straight to Christmas before Thanksgiving is even over...or maybe I am just a Grinch ;) Also appreciate the reminder to prepare some baked goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such an enlightening post, Kim. Max is so cute! :) We all need motivation form time to time, and your are truly motivating! ;)

    ReplyDelete