Monday, December 18, 2017

My #PlotTwist of a Year - Races & Bling


Oh boy! Has it been a crazy year!

This is the first of a 2-part series of my #PlotTwist of a Year. My Year-in-Review post will be coming soon (stay tuned).

For now, though, let's chat about my 2017 races and the subsequent bling.


January was a cold month in Iowa (I know, #shocker). I only had one race on the calendar, and that was the  Chamburrrr Scurry 5K  (Marshalltown, IA) on January 28. The temps were cold, I had a sock malfunction, and I finished with and a less-than-stellar finish time of 26:58. It seriously "seemed" like I was actually much faster than that, but the wind certainly was a factor.
February had some chilly temps as well, but the temps were actually in the low 50's on race day for the Red Flannel Run 5 Mile (Des Moines) on the 11th. I even wore shorts! In Iowa! Don't be too impressed with my finish time of 37:33, though, because the 5-mile course was shortened to 4.29 miles. And, I earned my first (of many) 4th place AG wins for the year.
Shorts in February...in Iowa!
March gave me three races to partake in, and all of them had different race day conditions to enjoy. First, there was the Sombrero Beach Run 10K (Marathon, FL) while on a mini-vacay with the hubby. This was a 10K with an out-and-back route on a very warm and windy morning. None the less, my finish time was decent (57:17), but it landed me with (another) 4th place AG spot.
With the hubby...after the race
Next was the Leprechaun Chase 10K (Des Moines, IA) on the 11th. This is a favorite race I have done for the past several years, but due to a surprise snow/ice fall the evening prior, the route had to be shortened to a 5K. BUZZKILL. I don't love 5K's, but I am not afraid of them. That said, when you show up expecting to run a 10K, it really throws your mental game into a tizzy having to adjust to the shortened distance. My finish time was a respectable 26:31...but it only garnered me an 8th place AG placing (out of 18). Oh well...
Pay no attention to the photo-bombing hubby...
Also in March was the Wintrust Lakefront 10-Miler (Chicago, IL) on the 18th. This was a rather windy endeavor, but I got to run the majority of the race with none other than Wendy. Despite the crazy wind, I was very happy with my finish time (1:32:51) because this race felt relatively effortless. My stats showed I finished 12th out of 50 in my AG.
With Wendy, and my first piece of 2018 bling

April had me busy as well. First, there was the Live Healthy Iowa 5K (in my hometown, Grinnell, IA) on the 8th. I had a longer run on the schedule, so I ran a 3-mile warm-up run, did the 5K race (finishing in 25:31), and then ran four extra bonus miles afterwards. I got 2nd place in my age group, but don't be too impressed...the field of runners was pretty small.
The hubby and my friend, Barb, ran the race with me, too
The next day was the Fight for Air Climb (Des Moines, IA) on the 9th. This is an event I have done every year for the past five years. Affiliated with the American Lung Association, this is a stair climb event that has us taking on 86 total flights of stairways (among four different tall buildings in close proximity). I have been trying to crack the top 3 place in my age group, but it wasn't meant to happen this year. I got as high as 6th place in my AG (out of 49), missing the top five by 3 seconds. Yeah.
Another Fight for Air Climb medal
Later in the month, I was back in Des Moines for the Drake Road Races Half Marathon on the 29th. I had done this race a few times prior, but they reverted the event back to its original course (which I had never run). This was another cold and very windy Iowa morning, and the route had several rolling hills. My finish time was alright (2:05:58), but nothing close to a PR. I placed 11th out of 29 in my AG.
Brrrrr....I felt nothing but euphoria to be done with that race
May was another month with lots of miles and racing, starting with the Klompen Classic 5K (Pella, IA) on the 3rd. It's true, I'm not much of a competitive 5K racer, but I decided to throw this event into the mix for a speed-training endeavor. Also, this race was an evening event (kicking off the annual Tulip Time Festival). This race was not only fun, but also quite scenic (tulips everywhere), and very well-attended. I wound up finishing in 26:05, which is one of my fastest 5K's ever (I have had a few faster ones, but I believe those were all on shortened courses). Even with a fast-for-me finish time, it wasn't quite podium worthy...another 4th place (out of 60)!
In the Peanut Pub, post race
A few days later, I ran the first-ever Des Moines Women's Half Marathon (Des Moines, IA) on May 7th. This was another race I loved...it felt effortless and we had beautiful weather. Despite a long wait for a porta-potty near the 6-mile mark, I finished in 2:03:10...11th out of 55 in my AG. Total satisfaction with that one!
Image may contain: one or more people and closeup
One of the prettiest medals ever
A week later, I ran in the Market-to-Market Relay (central Iowa), on a relay team with five other co-workers. Our team took turns, in a pre-designated rotation (similar to a Ragnar Relay), running a total of 17 "stages"along the 76-mile route over the course of an approximate 13-hour day. My total mileage (for the three stages I ran) came in just under 16 miles, and I was beat. It was a fun (though long) day spent in constant motion as we not only ran, but also drove our support vehicle back and forth between each of the exchange points. 
Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg
for bling, we received pint glasses with the event logo on them
June was where things took a turn for the worse...

Things started off fine with my favorite race (every year), Dam to Dam Half Marathon, on June 3nd in Des Moines. This morning started out much warmer than predicted and continued to get hotter (and more humid) with each mile. I certainly was not attempting a PR, but my finish time was nothing stellar...in fact, it may have been my worst D2D finish yet (2:22:50). They had to reroute some of the course, due to construction, so I guess it was a PR in that sense, right? Thankfully, I made it across the finish line and recovered, but I was very disorientated, light headed, and dizzy due to the extreme heat. I love the heat, but this came from out of nowhere, and there were runners down everywhere. 
My 10th consecutive Dam medal
Two weeks later was my goal race for the year, Grandma's Marathon (Duluth, MN) on June 17th. This was such a fun race! I ran the majority (just past the 22-mile mark) with Rachel, and we had so much fun chatting about all things running and blogging. Up until mile 18, I was feeling great....but then things slowly started to unravel. The temps got really warm and we had a lot of sunshine. I don't think I was dehydrated or under-fueled, but my energy did a major crash and I was never able to recover. None the less, I still squeaked out a course PR (5:00:27), though it was a good 30 minutes slower than what I was hoping for. 
I look just like I felt...about to fall asleep on my feet
Next? Well, there was that unexpected emergency surgery for a staph infection that had gone rampant (June 29th). a week-long hospital stay, continued IV infusions (at home) and being side-lined from running for nearly three months as everything healed (more details HERE).


#PlotTwist
July through mid-September had me doing a lot of walking and (almost) non-stop strength-training/cross-training to maintain my endurance. My main goal was to allow the 6-inch suture seam (over my right knee) to heal completely. That involved limited bending for several weeks, then gradual bending as my range of motion returned. 
My summer reality
Finally, on September 14th, I was granted the green light to resume running! First up was the Kickoff to Kinnick 5K (Iowa City, IA) on the 29th. I had registered for this race well before I knew if I could run it or not...heck, everyone can walk a 5K, right? Since I had been so active with my daily walking over those three months of recovery, my endurance was ready for action. I had been doing run/walk intervals in the two weeks prior, but on race day, I was able to run most of the entire course. My finish time came in at 29:56, and I was absolutely ecstatic!
The heaviest medal ever (and it also has a bottle-opener feature)
A couple weeks later, on October 14th, I ran the Mercy Live Up Loop 5-Mile Race (Des Moines, IA). It was a cool and damp morning, but I was able to run most of this race as well! What's more, I even finished in 46:48, securing me a 3rd place (out of 21) AG win!
Finally! An AG placing above that dreaded 4th place!
November had me running in the Hillbilly Hike 10K (Carlisle, IA) on the 4th. This was kind of a last-minute decision, but I wanted to get in one more race before my Las Vegas adventure. Again, the air was cool and damp (and foggy!), but that often makes for ideal racing conditions, right? Somehow, I pulled off my fastest "average"pace (9:14) since my rally back, finishing in 57:25...and another 3rd place AG victory.
Yes, that's a flannel shirt...it's a hillbilly event, after all 
A week later, I was in Las Vegas for the Rock'n'Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon. I had no grandiose ideals of PR'ing this race....not only had it been less than 2 months since I'd been back in my running shoes (and my training had been conservative at best), but this was Vegas. Bright lights and a big city. Why would anyone want to run this race fast and not enjoy all the sights and sounds? Besides, I ran the race with Marcia, and we had plenty to discuss and laugh about...neither of us were in any kind of hurry and my finish time reflects that (2:28:38), but I had a great time. Conquering 13.1 miles was a major feat for my body considering what it had been through in the past five months. 
This little piece of hardware represents a successful rally back
Finally, December....my final race of 2018 happened on the 2nd of the month, the Jingle Bell Run 5K (Des Moines, IA). If there could have been a perfect setting for a grand finale, it was this race. We had beautiful temps and tons of glorious sunshine. I finished in 28:01, definitely not a PR, but my fastest pace yet post-surgery. And, guess what? Another 4th place AG finish...I missed the podium by a mere 5 seconds! Oh well, such is life! It's a good thing I don't base my "success" as a runner on AG placings. 
tis the season for dressing in obnoxious Santa leggings
So, that's what 2018 brought me. There were a few less races this year than in years past (taking a 3-month sabbatical will do that LOL), but I am so happy with how everything played out. My love, appreciation, and respect for the sport of running were reinforced this year. Every run is a gift, whether it's a training run, an actual race, a slog fest, or a fast finish. 

How did your year go? Any highlights from races? Great hardware? Age group recognition?  



**I'm linking up with Marcia and Patty and Erika for Tuesdays on the Run.
**I'm also linking this with Debbie and Rachel and Lora for the Running Coaches' Corner.

35 comments:

  1. You've come back so strong! So great to see you back out there earning bling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering your injury, you still ran SO many races this year! I don't think I realized how many you did before the surgery until you wrote it all out like that. A very impressive year, even with some time off from running and racing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My time off seems like so long ago....hard to believe it actually happened

      Delete
  3. All plot twists aside, you had an amazing running year and your rallyback was fantastic. Great example of resilience and determination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marcia ;-) I had one awesome set of cheerleaders on my team ;-)

      Delete
  4. Glad I got to be a part of your year! Although my opinion of the race was far from effortless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha....We both agree on the crazy wind, though...right? ;-)

      Delete
  5. You've had one hell of a year, but what I love most was your positive attitude throughout the whole ordeal this summer. And now look at you with the awesome comeback this Fall!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim ;-) I'm glad you were there, cheering me on ;-)

      Delete
  6. Congrats on a fantastic year. Even with your injury, you did all the right things to recover and you've rebounded wonderfully! The Stair Climb is a great event - the one I do in Philly doesn't give out finishers medals though, unfortunately! I look forward to seeing how you do in 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on all your races. I am sure that first 5k post injury made you feel like you were finally back in the game with running. That is a great medal for a 5k. I have a few that are bottle openers as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple other bottle-opener medals, also, but this one is the King!

      Delete
  8. How amazing that you came back so strong. You are an inspiration.

    So happy to have met you in Vegas. Hope to see you again in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegas was so much fun (despite all that walking LOL). Hope to see you in 2018 as well.

      Delete
  9. Seriously, that's a whole lot of races even with a 3 month hiatus! And I'm most impressed by how strongly you came back (and quickly)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! It feels good to have that 3-month hiatus in the rear window ;-)

      Delete
  10. It all sounds like a great year, and moving into a great 2018? Hopefully everything will go much smoother next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2017 certainly through me for a loop...but it had a happy ending. Onward!

      Delete
  11. That's a lot of races, especially considering your time off! I ran only 2 races last year...and no bling, though I do have a pint glass to show for it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take two DNS's in July, and there were a couple other races I was gonna register for, but had to pass on them due to my untimely recovery. OH well...glad that's over!

      Delete
  12. I did earn awards for five 5ks and a 10k -- but they were small races. You definitely get the award for best comeback story! Here's to a wonderful (and healthy!) 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the comeback queen! It's really amazing the way you stayed strong and rallied. Here's to happy and healthy running in 2018

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;-) As you know, I had an awesome support team which allowed my comeback to take place ;-) Thanks for being a BIG part of that team!!

      Delete
  14. Looks like a fun year, way to make a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a crazy year, especially the final six months...glad everything played out so well. Onward!!

      Delete
  15. I'm amazed at how many races you did and how well you rebounded from your injury! Here's to a great 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, a successful "rebound" only can happen if we let it...it was tough taking things slow (especially in those summer months when I really wanted to be running). I'm thankful to have that episode done ;-)

      Delete
  16. What a great year! I think you should put together a calendar of all of your outfits. Lol. Have a great 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's no secret I love my funky and colorful clothing ;-)

      Delete
  17. You certainly had a crazy year lady! But you pushed through and 'rallied' back like a trooper! What a fantastic year of racing and now that you're full speed ahead, 2018 is sure to be even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know it seems like you were out of commission FOREVER, but reading about your year? WOW! You had such a great year of running!!! So impressed with you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even with your 3 month sabbatical you ran alot of races. So amazing! Glad you got to end your year running!

    ReplyDelete