Monday, January 15, 2024

Another Run Streak? DONE!


Yes, I did it again (for the 11th time, nonetheless).

What started as a once-and-done thing, back in 2013, has become a much-anticipated yearly gig. It's no secret how I feel about the winter season. The cold temps, the crazy wind, and the lack of daylight...all are things I can deal with, but ALL of them are major buzzkills.

Enter the annual Runner's World Winter Run Streak. It not only gives me some much-loved fitness via the running shoes, but also a much-needed distraction from all things winter. And, it sees me through the winter solstice.

As mentioned, I did my first winter run streak in 2013. It was a challenge, but also empowering. Alas, I have continued every winter since (2014, 201520162017, 20182019, 20202021 and 2022)I respectfully acknowledge that the notion of run-streaking does not interest everyone, even for a short period. That's totally alright. I'm not here to pass judgment nor persuade anyone to change their mind. Myself, I was very much a skeptic until I gave it a try.

This Streak began on Wednesday, November 22nd (the day before Thanksgiving) with a #5at5 (with Allison). 


The grand finale (Monday, January 1st) was a 3-lap endeavor, with Barb, at a local lake.  


...and there were a lot of fun runs, and exciting miles, in between. 

Read on for a few highlights from this most recent run streak...

All of these runs were done outside. With the exception of last year (which had some extreme weather for several days before and after Christmas), and my first year of streaking (when I didn't really know what I was doing, LOL), I have made it a priority to do all of my streaks runs outside. It's just another little challenge I choose to add to mix.



Several of these runs, this year, had me in shorts! We were blessed with a very mild December, and I was all about enjoying the lack of layers. This may be the most streak runs with bare legs on record (there were 11 of them this year).


With it being the holiday season, I felt it only right to dress appropriately. That is, more often than not, I was usually decked-out in holiday attire. At the very least, I dressed in the festive colors (and/or patterns) of Christmas.


I embraced the lunch hour for many of these runs. Hey, I like my daylight runs just as much as anyone else. Why not capitalize on the potentially warmer noontime temps and probable sunshine? I actually ran my fastest-paced streak run on the final runch of the streak (Friday, December 29th), with a pace of 9:05.


This streak was blessed with two full moon runs! That's right, These happened with a 4-miler on November 27th and a 5-miler on December 27th.


The longest run was a 10K. It's a given that I need to keep most of these runs short, or I'd risk burnout or injury. But, there was a Garmin badge up for grabs, so I made sure to snag it.



A few stats:
Total number of runs: 41
Total number of streaking miles: 105
longest run: 10K
1-milers: 15
2-milers: 10
3-milers: 4
4-milers: 2
5-milers: 8
oddest mileage: 3.7 miles (Ugly Christmas Sweater group run)

So, there you go! Another run streak has come and gone. As much as I look forward to this annual ritual, I also am really glad when it's over. I've never had the desire, or felt any compulsion, to keep on streaking after January 1st hits. That's my 2023 Streaking Story. 

A few related post:
A Streak Like None Other (the 2021 Streak recap)
Another Winter, Another Streak (2021 Streak Preview)

Have you ever tried run streaking, even for a short period? Do you have any coping strategies that get you through the winter season? 

I'm linking this with  Zenaida and Jenn for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up



By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on another successful streak, Kim! Well done also for running all of them outside! I think that's an important factor that doesn't make it easier.
    When I worked as an employee for a bank, I used my lunch breaks in winter for running. It was a win-win: blue skies, less colder temperatures, a forest nearby and some of my work colleagues were my running buddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got pretty lucky with the weather this year! There were only a handful of cold streak runs, so being outside for all of the runs wasn't too difficult ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yay streak! I really enjoyed it the year that I did it. Right now I don't see myself going back to distance running but I can see doing the streak again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you streaking through the winter! It's a nice break in routine, but I wouldn't want to do it year-round.

      Delete
  3. Well done, Kim! I am always impressed with those that do a run streak. I dislike running in the Winter but I know it isn't so bad as long as I have the right attire. Now, ice is another thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of winter running, but I definitely prefer outdoors running (in the cold) over treadmill running!

      Delete
  4. I love this! I'm doing a longer run streak (well, trying to), but I think yours is so festive and fun. Maybe I'll be brave and join you in yours next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make my streak runs fun...most are short, but I try to mix-in various distances and colorful gear to make each run unique.

      Delete
  5. congrats on anther successful streak Kim! Even better that the weather mostly cooperated for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Yes, I can see how this streak helps brighten up the cold, dark days of December. I've never done a run streak, but I would like to one of these days. I think Memorial Day-July 4th would work better for me, since there's usually nothing specific I'm training for during the summer. Hmm, maybe this will be the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the Memorial Day-July 4th streak several years ago. That was a much different experience that this winter one that I usually do (I much preferred the summer weather)!

      Delete