Can you say, “RAIN!”
We’ve had an abundance of the wet stuff, which continued through most of the week. It was a true test of my commitment to the #OptOutside streak (which is sitting at Day-2,097 as this post goes to press).
Thankfully, I was able to dance around the intermittent rainfall, and get outside on the daily. I also utilized my indoor options, also on the daily, to keep sane.
We do what we gotta do!
Before I get to the rainy deets from the wet week, welcome to the Weekly Run Down!
I love hosting this link-up with Deborah (from Confessions of a Mother Runner)! If you write a fitness-based blog, you're invited to join the party. The link-up opens at 8:00AM (EST) on Sundays and remains open through noon on Monday. We love reading about everyone's weekly fitness endeavors, training highlights (or low lights) and race recaps. We ask that you link back to both hosts, and we encourage you to read/comment on the other linked blogs as well...please don't link-drop & dash ;-)
Anyways, here’s what went down this week as I navigated all the wet conditions:
Sunday-Long Run Saturday (a day late)
Since my Saturday run was a rain-out, and I had mostly dry conditions upon wake-up, I was dressed and out the door just before 6:00AM. Although there was a break in the rain, the air was still damp with mist. This was another challenging endeavor in the running shoes, and my splits were all over the place. I considered quitting at five miles, but that would still warrant a 1-mile walk back home in the chilly and damp conditions. I persevered and made it back home in time for a quick shower and cleanup before church. Trivia question: Just how thick was the cloud cover? Answer: I was in almost total darkness until well after 6.30.
Never miss a Monday (and then some)
With rain showing in the forecast all day, I was almost ecstatic to wake-up to just some light drizzle. I wasn’t planning on running very far (or very fast), but still wanted to do something, you know? I did a short 1-mile jaunt through the neighborhood (title pic, above), then hit the weights afterwards.
Although I walked over lunch, and had been on my feet quite a bit of the day, I knew my step count was not very pretty. I decided to dust off the elliptical for some cardio and movement. I even remembered the weighted vest! I cued-up some YouTube music videos and pressed “start.” Although I don’t trust the mileage for accuracy, I endured 6-ish miles (just under 41 minutes) and called it good. I ended the day with just under 14,000 steps.
Tuesday-lowkey active recovery
With more rain happening, and a tired body, I kept the day’s fitness low-key and low-impact. There was some lower-body stretching and hip mobility work in the morning, then walking over lunch and after work.
Double Workout Wednesday
The forecast was looking dry and clear (#score!),but slightly chilly. The four of us were sporting various levels of cold weather attire when we gathered at 4:45AM for our weekly 3-mile run, LOL. I stuck around afterwards, and ran my usual two bonus miles. Have I mentioned how much of a buzzkill it is when it’s still dark at 6:00AM? After returning home, Max took me on an excited walk (with a couple run intervals), then I hit the Sweat Den Down Under for an upper-body strength session.
![]() |
Then, the sun came out! A lot of us weren’t sure what that beautiful golden orb in the sky was!
A Very Thankful Thursday
There was much to be thankful, starting with a 4-mile walk with Deb in the o’dark hours. It was a chilly 54F outside, but the sky was clear and there wasn’t any rain falling.
Then, it was all about strengthening the glutes and legs. Lots of squats and dead lifts for the win.
The forecast had showed rain, but there was some surprise sunshine in the morning and early afternoon! I was even able to take my lunch walk outdoors!
The rain returned by the early evening, though. I took a pass on the group run and retreated to the basement for 15 miles on the spin bike. I hadn’t logged any cycling miles since the weekend, so not a big deal.
Friday - more low impact fitness
Believe it or not, it was raining again. It wasn’t raining hard, but I opted to stay inside and hit the elliptical. I did get outside for a quick cooldown walk afterwards, and walked (inside) over my lunch break.
Saturday - more time on the elliptical (by default)
The plan had been for an 8-mile run in the early morning, followed by a bike ride meet-up with some friends. Momma N had other plans, though, and gifted us with rain. I resorted to the elliptical for “3 miles,” and later was able to get outside for a 2-mile walk before the next rain fall hit.
…and what’s on tap for Sunday?
As this goes to press, I’m hoping to do Saturday’s 8-miler upon wake-up (if the forecast holds #FingersCrossed). Also, there’s plans for the Harvest Full Moon in the evening (again, weather permitting).
Not a bad week, but there wasn’t anything grandiose to report either. Running saw 12 miles, with hopefully another eight miles added if Sunday’s run goes as planned. Walking had 17 miles. Biking was very minimal, with only 15 miles in the saddle. I was happy with three really strong strength sessions, though.
In case you missed out, here’s what went down on the blog this week:
In other news:
Friday Fashion Flair. With it being football season, and another Hawkeye game happening on Saturday, I was decked-out in the appropriate gear. Go Hawks!
Finally, my Iowa Hawkeyes traveled to Ann Arbor and took on the Michigan Wolverines. What a nail-biter! The Hawks pulled off a game-winning touchdown in the final TWO SECONDS of the game! Final score: 20-19!
![]() |
| A great day to be a Hawkeye! |
So, that’s the latest and greatest. The forecast is looking damp again for this next week, but not quite as extreme as the past two weeks. We’ve set enough records for rainfall this month, so I’m hoping things dry out.
How did things play-out in your world this week? Any rain? Fall-like temps? Football?
















The various layers of your Wednesday running group is proof how difficult it is to dress for running in autumn! You had a great week, Kim.
ReplyDeleteAbout your Monday session to get some extra steps in - does your watch add steps when you're on the elliptical?
We had a lot of rain last week too! Very dreary. But yesterday was good--a perfect autumn day in Wisconsin. And the Badgers beat Penn State!
ReplyDeleteWe only had one really rainy morning this week but our temps plummeted to the 50s one day and I wasn’t sure how to dress! We are only getting a bit of rain from the nor’easter.
ReplyDeleteI hope your long run went well this morning!
We have also had a lot of rain this week and had to dodge that as well. I am enjoying the cooling temps for walks this week and thinking about fall clothes. It’s football weather for sure!
ReplyDeleteI'm just going to skip over all of your workouts and go straight to college football... Iowa BEAT Michigan!!! I didn't have the game on - we'd just gotten home from dinner with friends - and randomly put some other game on once home. The first thing Bill said to me this morning was that I needed to text Kim because Iowa beat Michigan! I watched the highlights and what a great final couple of seconds. I hate Michigan for a couple of reasons (I tell you on Thursday) so I'm always happy to see them go down; and this time the refs didn't give them that extra second so they could win. ;-)
ReplyDeleteOur Hokies played Boston College in Boston yesterday during the Nor'easter. It was an ugly game and we didn't look very good the first half, but managed to win.
Yep, we have been having tons of rain, but this is our rainy season so it's not that crazy. It's been sunny this weekend though, and I agree, it feels odd to see the sun out after all those gray skies!
ReplyDeleteOmg go Hawkeyes!!! I wish I had seen that game- I love games with an exciting ending (when the correct team wins, of course).
Nice job on working around all that rain to get your workouts in! I'm envious of those 54 degree mornings... I want some of that down here.