Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Kim Trivia 101...just in case you were wondering



Probably the best thing about the running community is our diversity. We all run, and we all have our own way of doing it.....but we are not always in agreement on our preferences. And that's OK. It would be pretty boring if we all did everything the exact same way; there would be nothing to question or anything new to try for ourselves.

So, just in case you were wondering, here are some trivia questions I stumbled upon recently. And, these are my answers.

LOCATION: Trail, Road, or inside?
Road, no contest on that (although I do LOVE me some trails in the woods on occasion). Although my inside option (my treadmill is set up in our mud room) probably smells better than a gym, it is my absolute last resort. I have never felt like a treadmill run feels like a "real" run. It's too mechanical, too regimented, and certainly not my own doing. No matter how fast I can make myself run on it, I just cannot get past the fact that the treadmill is still in control (and I'm merely "keeping up" with it)....it's not a feeling I enjoy or embrace.


It's no secret I'm not a fan of the treadmill....

TIME OF DAY: Morning, noon, evening?
I like both morning (the earlier the better) and evening, but kind of prefer the morning a teensy bit more. Being up and moving before the sunrise (in the summer) is totally invigorating to me. As for running in the evening, any season will do. It's tranquil under the bright stars on a winter night and I love hearing the bugs buzzing and crickets chirping on a hot summer evening.
 It's never too cold or too warm...if you're dressed properly (and a smile certainly helps!)

WEATHER: Sunshine, mild, or hot?
All of the above. I can handle a light rain (in warm temps), but I'll take sunshine any day, no matter the temps.
Nothing like a trail run on a summer day!
FUEL: Before, during, or after?
Although the distance dictates some of my pre-run fueling, I usually prefer to have something in the tummy. I don't drink coffee, but I love an early morning chai latte' before heading out (as well as a bowl of oatmeal). If I'm going farther than 5-6 miles, I usually loop back to my house to refuel (thus, avoiding the need to carry anything on me). If I'm doing a race, I'll have something stashed in a belt or pocket and use it every 5-6 miles). Currently, I'm going through a transition with my fuel options...the gels no longer work for me (icky tummy issues), so I've been trying different options (sport beans, fruit snacks, energy gum, etc.)...still a work in progress.

ACCESSORIES: music, watch, sunglasses and more?
Almost always, I have music with me. I use it more for background "amvience" than for pace or cadence. I have a GPS watch, but usually just wear my basic stopwatch because all of the mile-by-mile stats are TMI for me. The information is great, but having all of those numbers at my fingertips makes the run feel more like a science experiment than an enjoyable fitness activity. Yes, I'm very old-school (LOL). And sunglasses are a must!  I have sensitive eyes and very dry skin (ahem...wrinkle-prone). I have been able to avoid the weathered-and-wrinkled-eyes and I'm willing to bet my Mizunos it's because I'm almost always in sunglasses when I'm in my running shoes.

My good old trustworthy watch

REWARDS: Food, wine, or?
Chai latte'!!! I'm not much of an alcohol drinker, so indulging in wine as a reward...well, let's just suffice it to say that I need a more enticing carrot dangled in front of me. I do love my chai latte's, though...hot, sweet, and full of carbs = perfect for carb re-loading. And food....I'm one of those rare runners who is not hungry after running. I'll drink (water, Gatorade, chocolate milk), but I need a few hours before my body will crave food.

TYPE OF RUN: Long run, tempo, intervals, hill repeats, progression, or recovery/easy?
I love long runs! I am an endurance person and love the challenge of going further and further. I also like hill repeats because they test not only my physical stamina, but also my mental strength. My least favorite of these are intervals, because they involve speed work. I'm a tall gal with long legs (and my knees kind of "turn in")...not a pretty sight to behold if I'm trying to make my body move faster than what feels "normal." Did I mention I'm also horribly uncoordinated? Yes, I'm arms & legs all over the place...but I do speed work once in awhile because I know it does a runner good (and it gets me out of my comfort zone).

I used to dread hills...now I look forward to the challenges they give me
Anything else you'd like to know?




3 comments:

  1. I run when time allows which during the week is in the evening after work. Not ideal, but I do what I can having to work full time and commute etc. I always prefer outside, and am a fair weather runner at heart but will do what I can in yucky weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved learning a little bit more about you! Hoping to seal the deal when you're here in July. I keep asking everyone about getting together...I hope it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you said about the GPS watch. I was just thinking that on my run this morning. I kind of miss training without knowing how far or how fast I'm going. I might ditch it this weekend and see what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete