Thursday, December 3, 2020

Coffee & Chatter & Chai, Oh My!


Well, here we are again. 

As with all things virtual (that word has been on permanent repeat for too long, just saying), it's time for gathering over a virtual cup of coffee (or beverage of your choosing). We could even sit around a virtual table and munch on virtual snacks.  

That said, at least the conversation would be real. 

And, let's not forget, we are in the midst of a crazy holiday season (with its own set of new Covid-compliant rules). There's also a grand bon voyage to 2020 in the works.

Yes, there's plenty to chat about. In fact, let me go first... 

If we were chatting, I'd tell you a little more about my local turkey trot. With all things Covid, our Trot had to assume virtual (there's that word again) status. On a whim, I had registered for the Des Moines Turkey Trot (which also was under the #VirtualCovidCloud). Our local Trot has never had any kind of registration fees or swag, so the DSM Trot swag was a no-brainer (and that race also supported a feed-the-hungry organization, so the registration fee was money well-spent). I posted pics of Barb and myself (after we'd run the virtual race), but totally forgot to share the medal. This 5K was significant in that it was a rally-back endeavor for me...the 5K distance was my longest jaunt since the stress fracture. The medal wasn't significant, though, in comparison to the flood of donations we were able to collect Thanksgiving morning. Even though the Trot didn't happen IRL, plenty of trotters still showed up and supported the effort...to the tune of 162.2 pounds of food and $175 in monetary donations.  


If we were chatting, I'd share my restraint regarding Black Friday shopping. I did find a pair of running shoes, Brooks Ravenna 11's. Although I prefer the Adrenalines, the Ravennas were recommended for me, a few years ago, at a race expo (when I was fitted for shoes by a Brooks rep). I wear them for shorter runs (anything up to 5-6 miles), and they work well for me. These new ones were already waiting on my front porch, when I returned home for lunch, on Monday! I also scored a couple pairs of Knockaround sunglasses...and they tried to entice me with "a free pair with any purchase" promo on Cyber Monday. This deal was too good to let pass, but I did. I made a few (or several) stops back on their site, though, before finally concluding that I really didn't need any more sunglasses...for now. 

If we were chatting, I'd bring up the topic of biking for one last time. Sigh. Biking has been my best friend through this recovery period. My biking streak had its grand finale last weekend, on Day 100, and Gustavas (the trusted mountain bike) is now in hibernation for a few months. Total mileage from the Streak came to 1,124, and 1,013 of those miles were cycled outdoors, with Gustavas. Not only that, my YTD biking miles (including outdoor and, most recently, indoor) are currently at 1,565. Gulp. That's something I never saw coming!


If we were chatting, I'd runfess that I gave in to an early bird registration for a favorite race, the Drake Relays Road Races Half Marathon. Currently, this is a virtual event, but they're offering a free transfer of registration should the conditions be favorable in making it a live race (at the end of April). I know, I know...Covid may still be a factor by then, but maybe (just maybe) things will have improved enough for live races to return (albeit with numerous safety measures and precautions in place). None the less, it's a race that I don't want to see end, so I'm choosing to support it in whatever capacity I can at the moment.

Finally, if we were chatting, I'd admit to feeling a little overwhelmed at my options for indoor fitness. As I gradually phase the running back into my routine, I will have to ease up on some other things. Case in point, the elliptical has been a great "winter" cardio option on my recovery days in years past. However, now I also have the indoor bike at my disposal (which has always been there, but I just never chose to utilize it). Let's not forget how much I adore my staircase...and then there's also HIIT and strength workouts. I'm working on a plan that will encompass all of these, but on alternate days/weeks. It's going to be tricky keeping everything in balance, but I'm up for the challenge. Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to Winter this year (somewhat LOL) because of the variety of indoor fitness vices I'll have without leaving my house. Stay tuned...this will be a huge work-in-progress undertaking.


Anyways, those are some things I'd be chatting about, if we were (virtually) gathered together.

How about you? Do you have a winter fitness plan of action in place? Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals? Any potential spring races? 

 Since it's the first weekend of the month, I'm linking this with Deborah and Coco for the Ultimate Coffee Date.


I'm also linking this with Meranda and Lacey for the Friday with Fairytales and Fitness link-up. 


Are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter

28 comments:

  1. Congrats on your biking streak, Kim! A 100 days! And that's a lot of miles, too. I don't have access to a bike here in Cape Town and I really miss it. Especially since the biking options here are fantastic, both for road and mountain bikes.
    How is your running streak going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catrina ;-) The run streak is going well! The stress fracture is feeling good, and the streak has been a great way to get in a little bit of "foot movement" on a daily basis without over-doing it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an abundance of indoor options is a 'first world problem' as you'd say! I'm enjoying my home gym and I'm grateful for what I can do with my equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite grateful that the indoor biking has been much more enjoyable than anticipated...wish I would have tried it many years ago!

      Delete
  3. It's always difficult to juggle everything I want to do fitness-wise. I would have loved a rower or an elliptical, but there's barely enough space for my treadmill & stationary bike!

    I definitely did do some shopping -- on Black Friday weekend, as it is now, since I was mostly out of range on Black Friday. I actually had a list, so it mostly wasn't impulse buys. Although my Brooks, which arrived yesterday, weren't on the list -- but they were something I needed.

    That's wonderful about the donations for your Turkey Trot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my struggle...not that I have SO much equipment, but that I like all of the workouts. It is difficult (in a very good way) to pick and choose which to do as opposed to doing all of them too often.

      Delete
  4. I'm a little sad that I did not score any running shoes on Black Friday. I really need some, especially speed shoes, but my size was MIA. You and Gustavus had a great streak. He's earned some hibernation time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm probably due for "long distance" shoes eventually, but it's not a crisis at the moment LOL

      Delete
  5. It is definitely nice to have lots of indoor options for fitness this winter. I am going to check out an at home boxing thing when I get back and see how that goes. Yes it can be overwhelming to want to do it all every day. My model of Brooks shoes was the only one not on sale! Maybe in January they will be. It was hard to resist getting more knockarounds! Since I was away I figured it could wait.Thanks for linking up for coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the daily biking I did, it's really tough to give that up (on a daily basis, that is). It really becomes a routine thing that one does without thinking...

      Delete
  6. Last year at this time our big local races had incredible sales, which was how I ended up being registered for so many 2020 races to start with. So far I'm only registered for two 2021 races, a 10 miler in April and a half in May. Both races are pretty big, so I feel there's a good chance that they will end up being virtual. But that's fine. I'm burned out on racing right now but in a few months I'll be itching to get out there again. Meanwhile, I'm getting reacquainted with the treadmill, figuring that we'll have a standing date on most weekdays for the rest of winter. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This half was too good of a deal to let pass...hoping by April they're able to make it happen on the streets of Des Moines, but I'll gladly do that one virtual if I have to.

      Delete
  7. No Black Friday shopping but recently I did purchase gifts for myself - a lighted vest, new shoes and turkey trot socks and beanie.

    The nYC half just got cancelled. I am over virtuals. I just want to run or run a real race!!! Come one vaccine!!!

    My water plan is TBD. I run outside. even in the dark but ice and snow?? I'm leaving on splurging om a spin bike.... but rather stick to running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I have the indoor bike this winter. Too bad I didn't give it a chance in winters past. I'm hoping for a mild winter so I don't have to do too many 'mill runs.

      Delete
  8. That's great the race raised that much money and plenty of food. I got a few deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday as well. Some for myself and some Christmas gifts. Too good not to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT's crazy how good some of the deals are on Black Friday (and the weekend) as well as Cyber Monday!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you scored some good deals! I cannot believe I didn't make time to look for some new running shoes.

    Always good to have a range of indoor options - keeps boredom at bay ;)

    Congrats on that bike streak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still hoping to find a pair of Adrenalines, but I'm holding out because I know they'll be reduced further when the Spring ones are released.

      Delete
  10. I have been loving all your festive socks! I just don’t bother with compression socks anymore, even though I have a drawer-full. I ordered new Adrenaline’s on Black Friday, but they haven’t arrived yet .... I love my Ravennas more, but I need to limit them to short runs. You should assign a number to all your workout options and just roll the dice. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ironically, the bulk of my festive socks are not compression...just regular holiday stuff (but I sometimes layer them over compression socks or my tights). Most of these winter runs are short, so compression isn't really needed.

      Delete
  11. Way to rock the turkey trot! Both a personal win for you and a win for the people you collected donations and food for. Love it!

    You killed the biking this year. I can't believe how many of the miles you racked up were during your streak.

    I hope your half in April happens in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biking thing really took me by surprise, too. It definitely served a viable purpose and cemented its way into my life ;-)

      Delete
  12. That's awesome that there was still a lot of food/monetary donations raised!

    A 100 day streak is awesome for biking! I still need to break a streak of...1. If weather remains okay, I may start doing that + continue with a whole lot of at-home workouts + intermittent running until things go back to semi-normal/gyms open up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were impressed how many people actually showed up with their donations for the Trot, too! A lot of them were just drop-offs, but there were some runners who ran as well (on their own).

      Delete
  13. Races are coming back here. I'm sticking to the smaller events, because that's what I can emotionally manage right now. We shall see how it goes.

    Who would have guessed there were too many options for indoor fitness? You'll get a great routine going. You always do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just crazy to think the indoor bike has been there for several years, but I chose to ignore it for so long. My bad!

      Delete
  14. Wow, that's a lot of biking miles, congrats! I'm so happy Gustavos was there for you when you needed him! I'm hopeful that some of the races will be live in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, I'm quite grateful for how the biking came full circle at a time when I didn't have much else for options. It's definitely here to stay ;-)

      Delete