Thursday, March 25, 2021

5 'Fessions for (Fake) Spring


So, here we are.

Another new season, and a new set of 'fessions are front and center. While the 'fessions are nothing short of genuine and authentic, the current season (Spring) is feeling like a phony. 

Little did I know, Fake Spring is actually a thing...

In all honesty, I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "Fake Spring" until this year. In doing a quick Google search, I found mixed reviews and opinions on what it actually means. Some said it was the transitional period between Winter and Spring, when the weather was a crap shoot (I'm paraphrasing, BTW). Others said it was Winter refusing to pack up and leave. It also was referenced as those few days of near-summer-like temps...only to have Old Man Winter do a complete 180 and return with a vengeance. 

However it's best defined, I would just like it to play nice. 

First of all, I FakeSpring-fess that I've been layering up for my walks, because I can't seem to generate enough heat (as I would if I were running). We're talking puffer vests, headbands/hats and gloves, thank you very much. A few weeks ago, the mid-40F temps felt rather balmy, but now they're feeling frigid and most unwelcome, especially with all the requisite spring wind. Brrr.

back in a puffer and beanie

Remember Milly, my dreaded treadmill? A few weeks ago, she went into a coma (of sorts) while my sister was walking with her. We have not (yet) been able to revive her. A similar thing happened, almost exactly four years ago. That time, she did come back to life a few (or several?) weeks later, so we're currently letting her have some down time (it's not like she sees much action anyways) before we decide her fate. I'll Milly-fess it here and now, I'm feeling kind of neutral on the whole situation. I'm not sad (after all, she was not my favorite option for fitness or entertainment). Even though she was approaching 20 years of age, I'm not in a hurry to look for a replacement. Truth is, I really don't embrace treadmill runs like most people. With warmer weather on the way, I don't have much need for indoor running (or walking) anyways.

farewell to Milly?

Speaking of my Milly situation, I have been forced to skip/postpone a few (early morning) runs due to rain. I also have had to suck it up and just get outside and deal with the rain a few times. Can I rain-fess that it hasn't been a deal-breaker? The morning of my birthday, which was the grand finale of my Week of Pi Challenge, called for a 3.14-mile run. The forecast showed rain all day, though there were some periods of light rain (as opposed to a downpour). The temps were borderline chilly (high 40F's), but I felt like taking a chance and going for it. End result: no regrets! Warmer temps are much more ideal for me (especially when there's precip coming down), but this run proved to me that I can tolerate even a cold rain. 

just running in the rain...

I'm really excited to see some races opening back up! Even with all the Covid protocols, it's great to have this small piece of runner normalcy return for us. Last week, the hubs and I spent a few days in Florida. I did get in a couple of good runs while there, but this was the first trip to the sunshine state (in many years) where I didn't have a race on the roster. I didn't even research the area to see if there were any small races happening. I race-fess that I didn't miss it or suffer any FOMO. Who am I and what's happened to me? 

Florida running, sans race bib

Finally, I have mentioned my outdoor daily activity streak, but I'm going to give you an update. Ready? As of Friday, March 26th, I'm at Day 131! Well, let me runfess, that's just the number of continuous days since Thanksgiving (when my Winter Run Streak began), so there may be an extra day or two prior that I'm forgetting. When the run streak ended on New Years Day, I decided to continue with daily "fresh air fitness," and it is still going strong. There were a few days in February (#PolarVortex) where the outdoor activity was merely a 1-mile walk (with plenty of snow shoveling), but I kept opting outside. Now that the extreme cold weather is history, I'm hoping to continue this streak indefinitely. Maybe I should come up with a clever hashtag (?). Stay tuned.

another sunrise walk

Okay, I feel much better now. Nothing like 'fessing-up and clearing the soul (and soles, if you know what I mean).

How about you? Anything to 'fess? Fake Spring...has it happened in your area?

 I'm  linking this with Marcia for the monthly Runfessions link-up.


I'm also linking this with MichelleReneeDarleneJenn and Zenaida for the Fit Five Friday Link-up.


By the way...are you following me on social media?
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

30 comments:

  1. March has been all over the place for us. Its starting to warm up again but I don't think we are out of the woods yet. And usually we have lots of rain and wind in the spring. Races are still getting postponed and going virtual here, so we'll see what happens come the fall...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish the wind wound just take a hike. I can tolerate the cold, but a cold wind is such a buzzkill.

      Delete
  2. College daughter mentioned the term "fake spring" the other day so I figured it was a Southern thing. Overall I think we've been spoiled by the really lovely weather March came in with. I wore a hoodie and wind breaker yesterday for our afternoon walk, it was 45 degrees but very windy and I froze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March has definitely been much nicer than February, but the past 10 days have been a bit on the damp side. At least it hasn’t snowed!

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard of fake spring before this year either! Fingers crossed, we've had outdoor-runnable weather for a few weeks now, so if this is fake, I will take it.

    I can see not replacing Milly, since you're so good at cross training on the elliptical and bike. For us, when our mill died last spring it was an instant repurchase. My husband gets injured very easily from road running, so the mill is his only option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m totally on the fence with Milly. I can get by without, but definitely appreciate having the indoor option (once in awhile), especially during the extreme cold of winter. Stay tuned...

      Delete
  4. As Springs go, it seems we're actually having one this year. Often we don't. Which doesn't mean there hasn't been cold days/mornings, there has!

    It's been so long since I just traveled somewhere & didn't race (well, it's been so long since I traveled anywhere). It kind of sounds nice! I always run on vacation -- the best way to see a new place!

    I don't have an outside streak going on, but there are very few days I wasn't out there. I know there were a few though! I'm ok with that.Totally. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More often than not, our “spring” hits about mid-April and turns to summer a couple weeks later. The summer aspect is nice, the extended winter is unpleasant LOL

      Delete
  5. March is always a wild ride weather-wise. There’s the lion/lamb thing, but it’s more lion/lamb/lion/lamb .... Way to go on your outdoor streak. Scooby gets me outside everyday! I’m looking forward to a live race, but probably need to be more hesitant until I get vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually walk Max a couple times everyday, but we get lazy on the really cold or wet days & just let him out in the backyard. I’m glad we’re easing back to the daily walk routine..we went for a 2-mile walk after work tonight!

      Delete
  6. I am so much colder on walks than runs too. We had the fake spring a few weeks ago and now we seem to have made it to actual spring. Bummer on Milly, wish I could give you my 10 year old tread mill I have not used it in years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m always surprised I don’t feel warmer on my walks, because I keep a good pace.

      Delete
  7. Bummer on Milly but I am in the No Treadmill camp and it makes me go outside more...no excuse. That being said I don't run in the pouring rain. I don't have to run everyday. I often grab an umbrella and walk.

    Of course I run on vacation if it fits... sometimes there are others to consider.

    I'm not sure if I have a streak. I don't keep track but pretty go outside everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to avoid the pouring rain, but a light rain or drizzle doesn’t bother me (much).

      Delete
  8. I heard the term 'fake spring' as well but after thinking about it, I don't see it as fake. Feel like normal spring to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think we’ve had a normal spring in recent years here...I’m happy to just skip it and go right to summer :-)

      Delete
  9. While I've never heard the term fake spring it does seem fitting - the weather has just been all over the place.

    I can completely understand your lack of urgency on replacing Milly. You know I'm no fan of mill running - honestly if I hadn't won my treadmill I probably wouldn't own one.

    Nice job with your outdoor fitness streak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will figure out something with Milly (or her replacement) because I do like the “security” of an indoor option in the extreme of winter. Hoping that’s a good 9-10 months away LOL

      Delete
  10. Enjoy your fake spring- it was 88 degrees here yesterday (arg!). Since you have other indoor fitness options I can see why you don't need to replace Milly. Treadmills are expensive! Take the money and go on a race-cation instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, 88 sounds lovely! The forecast is taunting me with high 40’s & rain for my race tomorrow (arg!) LOL

      Delete
  11. I am scared that we are in "fake spring" too, but hoping it is the real thing. It LOOKS like spring here - flowers are blooming and grass is green, but we know that can change in an instant. I did a trail run today - 70 degrees!!! Yay!!! Bring on the heat.

    If Milly was 20 years old, I would say you got your money's worth out of her. Maybe it's time to put the old girl out to pasture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...”put the old girl out to pasture!“ That totally made my day!

      Delete
  12. I wouldn't call it "fake spring" but we went from winter, to summer, to winter, to summer. This weekend, it will hit the 90s. What? I *think* this is it. I don't know if I an go back to long sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I’m potentially entertaining mid-40’s & rain tomorrow for my race. Your 90’s sound much more appealing:-)

      Delete
  13. I’ve never owned a treadmill and have only ran on one a few times and it felt like torture.
    I think it’s great that you manage to get outside every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, it DOES feel like torture for the most part! My long legs & long strides for not enjoy the monotony...

      Delete
  14. Warmer weather will be coming soon so really there is no need for a treadmill. You know I don't mind running on it and it does come in handy having one when the weather sucks. Great job on your streak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad Milly at least got me through the February vortex!

      Delete
  15. so over fake spring! sometimes we get really lucky and at least the sun is shining! but I temp-fess I'm freezing sitting here reading blogs right now. Nothing a big mug of tea won't solve!

    Now that we have a treadmill, I'm not using it much and it's still not my favorite but I do think I would miss it if we didn't have it. And Ron loves it. The weirdo!! Now, take my spin bike from me and we'll be having stern words with each other...

    This morning I also wondered who I was and what happened to me, getting up every Saturday morning at or before 7 to run around the park two times. But man, I'm loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am loving this spring weather. Let’s hope it is here to stay. It’s been too long of a cold snowy winter.

    ReplyDelete