Monday, June 7, 2021

Feel the Heat; Run with Caution


Summer's here, even if the calendar doesn't yet say so.

Personally, it's my favorite season for running. Yes, it's hot. It's also, more often than not, quite humid. Although it's not always comfortable, I don't have to guess how to dress for it (#GlassHalfFull).

Summer running has its own set of challenges, especially when it comes to health and safety. Most have worked hard to get to a certain level of fitness, and most aren't willing to give all that up for the sake of staying (safely) inside. 

It IS possible to continue running outdoors, even in the heat of summer...here are a few suggestions to consider:

First of all, lower your expectations. While some embrace the heat (or, at the very least, can tolerate it without much issue), the warmer conditions of summer warrant care and caution. In other words, run slow(er) if you're feeling exerted during a training run. If you're racing, accept that a PR may not be in the books, nor a wise conquest, on an especially hot and humid day.


You may need to shorten your distance, at least outdoors. Maybe do a couple miles indoors, before heading outside. Conversely, there's nothing wrong with breaking up your run into shorter segments (with walk or hydration breaks), or even running half of your run outside and finishing up inside, on a treadmill or indoor track. 

Consider running earlier than usual. Even though it may still be hot and humid before the sunrise, not having direct sun can make those conditions more bearable. A bonus? Less traffic.


Seek out the shade. Have you ever tried running on the more "shaded" side of a tree-lined street? You may need to veer onto the grass, depending on the direction of the traffic, but staying out of the sun may give you some relief. Or, hit up a trail, with plenty of tree cover, through a woodland area. 

Please, pretty please, bring along water and/or electrolytes. Even stashing water along your route (in the crooks of trees, or behind a fence or street sign) may help you stay hydrated. 


There's no shame in walking. Seriously, walking is alright and (often times) wise. If you're training for a long-distance race, time on your feet trumps time "running." Besides, if it's really warm, the effort required to walk (or even to run at a slower pace) may be equal to that of running faster under ideal conditions.


Inside is alright if you're not acclimated to the conditions, or if the heat index is especially high. A lot of us have treadmills and, on an unrealistically hot/humid day, it may be your best option for a run.   

Bottom line, don't be a hero. There are no #BadAssSummerRunner awards dolled out, nor is there a Hot Weather Hall of Fame for those who are able to keep their runs outside. Just because someone (or several others) have a higher tolerance of heat doesn't mean you have to strive to have one as well. We're all different, and some of us can take the heat easier than others. Follow your gut instinct and do what works best for YOU.


A few things that shouldn't need to be said (but I'll say them anyways):
*Stay out of cotton
*Sunscreen, hats, sunglasses...all of them are your friends
*Have your phone with you, as well as ID and emergency contact information 
*Rehydrate as soon as possible after you're finished

A few related posts:

How do you feel about running in the heat of summer...love it? hate it? tolerate it?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up

I'm also linking with Debbie, DeborahLisaLaura and Jenn for the Runners' Roundup


By the way...are you following me on social media? You can find me at these various platforms:
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

30 comments:

  1. Thank you for these excellent points, Kim!
    I like the idea about stashing water with electrolytes along your route.
    I only learned about the importance of electrolytes while doing long runs in South Africa. I had water with me, but it got to the point where I felt nauseous of the water. I then supplemented with electrolytes and it made a HUGE difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my long-long runs, I'll have a bottle of water and one with Nuun. If my run is shorter than 10 miles, usually just one bottle with water will suffice, but there will be immediate rehydrating ASAP when I get back home.

      Delete
  2. Great tips. As you know I love summer. But runs are short and slow so I have more time to photograph nature.

    I don't carry water usually but I do loop to grab a drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to loop back if possible because I don't like carrying water. My hydration vest comes in handy, but it's not always necessary for anything under 10 miles (unless it's a crazy hot day).

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on getting out as early as I can! And shade makes a HUGE difference. Unfortunately yesterday there were no clouds to be seen, and I gave some serious consideration to just looping on my own block. Mind you, it's only 400m -- but it was shady at that time of the morning!

    I didn't do it, but I sure thought about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've done a lot of our long runs at the lake, which has an approximate 1-mile "loop" around it with plenty of shade. Of course, it's a 2-mnile run to get there (and back) LOL

      Delete
  4. I used to do a lot of pre-stashing water/Gatorade along the way! Our tips are very similar; I swear, I do prefer the summer, but it definitely affects the pace! Getting out as early as possible is key but even that isn't always enough! This morning it was already 78 at 5:15 am here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely prefer summer (no surprise there LOL), but yes, the temps do affect everything. For me, that's not a deal-breaker because I'm just happy to be outside (and away from Milly).

      Delete
  5. Running in summer is my jam too! I love it, even though this week has been insane. I already apply so of your tips, but I really like the stashing water and/or electrolytes along the route. Could have used that tip on Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s handy having water along the route when possible. Carrying it can sometimes be annoying, at least for me :-)

      Delete
  6. Running early is probably the best tip for summer running. If I felt safe I would probably start at 5am lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m quite grateful I have a safe place to run at those early hours. I do not take that for granted!

      Delete
  7. I do not like running in summer. At all. But since I have no choice, I will add to your list and say that trails are a great refuge from the direct sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been reminded of alot of these lessons this week. I ran at 7 on Monday with the stroller and it was so much hotter than my 5am runs even though it was slightly less humid. I need to work on staying hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every year I am determined to figure out how to "do" summer. Currently I have no shame in bringing my hydration pack with me even for 4-5 milers and I like salt stick chews. Walk breaks and "stop the Garmin" breaks help a lot as well. We have a pretty intense heat wave this week and once it cools down running is going to feel amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried salt stick chews! I need to look for some...

      Delete
  10. I am giving it my best effort this summer as all of my races are moved to sept and Oct. I am trying to stay in shape. It is tough going out there with humidity for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips. I don't like to run in summer but I do it even if I am slower and the distances are shorter. To not suffer too the heat I run in early morning. If it is not possible I search shady routes with fountains, wearing hat and sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer running can be tough, but not impossible, if one respects the conditions :-)

      Delete
  12. These are great tips! As a Florida runner, I agree with all of them. Finding shade makes a HUGE difference, and getting out early is a must. Also adjusting expectations- it's just a fact that you'll be running slower. It will all pay off when it cools off in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have even found that I can feel a breeze (even if it’s only a slight one) in the shade. The direct sun really ups the discomfort factor.

      Delete
  13. All excellent advice! I am a big fan of shade and trails so that's where I'm planning to continue with my run/walks.

    It feels pretty uncomfortable right now, as it is so humid on top of very hot. Air quality warnings are frequent...but I will keep on going.

    Which sunscreen brand do you all prefer for running? Some are really heavy and oily and I feel that adds to the uncomfortable feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great advice especially the one about lowering expectations! I'm so much faster in the winter and I've learn to accept slower paces in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's very rarely NOT the heat of summer here, so it's become pretty second nature. It stinks to struggle with breathing in the humidity and to be soaked with sweat in the first half mile, but we press on!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been known to plan a run according to where the shade is if possible, or cross the street to get to the shadier side. I always bring water on hot runs and have stopped at gas station stores to ask if i can fill my water bottles. I’ve only had to run in high humidity a few times and it was awful, but we do what we have to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all excellent points! I've been trying to wake up earlier but have been struggling. I am not doing good in following my own advice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds cliche, but the humidity is really what bothers me in summer. It's just awful when combined with the heat!

    ReplyDelete