Monday, April 25, 2022

Drake Road Races Half Marathon 2022 Recap


Shall we talk about 13.1 hilly miles of smiles?

I've said it many times...I much prefer a challenging race course over an "easy" one. Of course, it's all relative who deems what is "easy" or "challenging." If you're looking for a race course that will test your legs, your determination, your endurance and your grit, the Drake Road Races Half Marathon will fill those needs.

Couple the hilly race course with the usual erratic spring weather of Iowa, and you're in for a morning like none other on the streets of Des Moines. 

Affiliated with the Drake Relays, the Drake Road Races kick off the start of the week-long Relay-related events. Where the Relays themselves attract pre-qualified athletes at the elite, collegiate, and high school levels, the Road Races are for more "common folk" runners. This year, they brought back the 10K (it had been omitted last year, due to Covid), and added that to the long-standing 5K and half marathon options.

I'm no stranger to this event. I first ran the 10K (back in 2013), and returned for the half marathon in 2014, 2015201720182019 and 2021. All events had to assume a virtual format in 2020, so I ran the virtual 13.1 on the actual race weekend (on my hometown streets). A few months later, while my stress fracture healed, I "biked" the virtual event when the swag arrived. 

Anyways, the half marathon (and 10K) had a 7:30 start time (the 5K started at 7:45; remember this detail), so Barb, Allison and I left town around 5:45 and arrived at Drake Stadium about an hour later.

  


We took advantage of the indoor restrooms, and hopped back in the car to keep warm before heading to the start line. The mid-40F temps were actually pretty decent, in terms of what we usually have on race day for this event. The wind was going to be a bit of a challenge (14mph at the start), but we've been running and training in it, and wouldn't have a headwind for much of the race (fingers crossed). 

ready to go!

These temps are tricky to dress for, in my opinion. I knew I'd be fine in shorts, and went with a tank, arm sleeves, and a light 1/4-zip jacket. I debated on gloves, but decided to leave them behind (and never missed them). 



The half marathon runners lined up with the 10K runners, on Forest Avenue. Oh, was it nice to have a clear sky with full sunshine!

The first mile, of any race, always seems to be a major clustered mess. This race was no exception. We run a short ways, due east (on Forest), then head south for several blocks, eventually heading west on Kingman. Once we made the turn on Kingman, the crowd of runners seemed to spread out much better. This segment on Kingman, though, is my least favorite part of the race because it's a long stretch (nearly 1-1/2 mile in distance), it's mostly flat (#boring), and (on this particular morning) it was into the wind .


Once off of Kingman, the route goes south for awhile, and eventually turns right (going west). We then start our journey through a beautiful neighborhood. This area is where the hills really come into play, just after the 3-mile mark. 

I had lost Barb and Allison shortly after the start, due to the thick cluster of runners and all the dodging and hop-scotching I had to do... but I spotted them up ahead, and was able to catch up with them just before the 4-mile mark. 

By now, I was feeling strong, and in my groove. The three of us hung together for the next few miles.  It was near the 5-mile mark that I slid off my arm sleeves and unzipped my jacket part-way. I wasn't feeling overheated, but I definitely wasn't feeling cold anymore.

Barb was slowly inching away from us (no big deal). Alison and I were still pretty much side-by-side until around the seventh mile...when I could feel myself starting to pull a little ahead of her. I heard my name as I was approaching the water stand, just after the 8-mile mark. There were three different gals who I knew there, and it's always a boost to see familiar faces.

So, onward! 

Although the hills were keeping my legs busy, I hadn't really felt any fatigue until I was about halfway through the ninth mile. There was a slight out-and-back segment, just after the 9-mile mark, that was new this year. Guess what? That little course variation added another hill to the route (and a steep one at that!). Lucky us!

The good news, though, was that once we passed the 10-mile mark, the hills leveled-off substantially. The bad news? We'd soon be back on Kingman (just before the 11-mile mark) for another long, straight stretch. For the time being, someone had done a lot of early-morning chalk artwork on the street...pointing out miniscule "potholes," mud clusters, miniature "puddles" and the (obvious) "hazards" of a select few parked cars. It was colorful, whimsical, very entertaining and much appreciated!

The return trip to Kingman (remember, we'd run this segment shortly after the start) wasn't as bad as anticipated...though, it still was a long haul. Passing the 12-mile mark gave me a huge boost of mojo because the remainder of the course was a gradual decline.

A couple blocks after the 12-mile mark, we take a left turn and run north, back towards Forest Avenue. Along this final jaunt are numerous sorority/fraternity/organization groups cheering, so the excitement is pretty euphoric. Also, you can hear the roar of the crowd coming from inside Drake Stadium, at the finish line.

the last stretch, on Forest Ave., into the wind

I made it to Forest, turned left (going west...back into the wind) and nearly lost my balance. The wind had picked up in the past two hours since we'd started the race ( I later learned it had increased from 14mph to 22mph!). A couple blocks later, the course turns right, and leads us down a nice short hill. We round the corner, entering Drake Stadium, and finish with a lap on the famous track, known as the Blue Oval. 

There's a Jumbotron, spotlighting everyone as they cross the finish line (but I never think to look at it). Although my legs were feeling trashed, overall I was still feeling pretty strong. I spotted the timing clock to the right of the finish line...and it showed 1:51:xx! For a split second, I was overjoyed to be almost nine minutes UNDER the 2-hour mark. 

the final "sprint" on the Blue Oval

Then, another split second later, I noticed another timing clock, on the left...showing  2:06:xx. Duh, LOL. Remember me saying the 5K racers started 15 minutes after the 10K/half marathon? Yep, that clock on the right, showing 1:51:xx, was their clock.


Alas, my Garmin showed 2:06:41, though my official time was slightly faster (2:06:35). Not a 13.1 PR (as if, LOL), but a decent time considering the tough course. My Drake PR is 2:04:33, so I'm quite satisfied with my finish time. Truth be told, this is not a course I anticipate ever setting a shiny new PR on anyways. 

post-finish line

How did I do?
My stats show that I finished 466th out of 794 (overall); 154th out of 360 females; and 6th out of 21 in my age group. Speaking of age group...I recently aged-up to the next group, but these "old gals" in this new group are beasts:


My Splits:
Mile 1 - 9:35         Mile 6 - 9:57       Mile 11 - 9:46
         2 - 9:19                 7 - 9:44                12 - 9:47
         3 - 9:20                 8 - 9:49                13 - 9:24 
         4 - 8:47                 9 - 9:43                 .2 - 1:43
         5 - 9:27               10 - 10:18

We all agree, this race course is a tough one. Myself, I kind of like that aspect. I mean, it's fun to run a fast & flat race, but there's something empowering in fighting a bunch of hills en route to the finish line. It definitely feels like a conquest when all is said and done! 

Our friend, Chuck was also there. He ran the 10K, but promised to be waiting for us at our 13.1 finish line. 

How about the swag?
The medals are always top-notch, and usually pay tribute to the symbolic Blue Oval.


This year's jacket is kind of meh (IMO). In recent years, they've had 1/4 zip jackets (some flannel-lined, some not). This full-zip hoodie is a cute design, but it's really light-weight (in other words, not very warm). I'm just not sure how practical it is (?).


By the way, Drake University's mascot is the bulldog. As you could guess, there are statues of Spike throughout the campus. It's only right to get a picture with one of them.


 

So that's what went down on a beautiful, albeit windy, spring morning, on a hilly race course. Even though the race course is tough, the event itself is very well-organized. There were water stations (some with Gatorade) at almost every mile mark. Since the race course goes primarily through residential neighborhoods, the traffic is well-controlled by police officers. There also are fair amounts of residents spectating and cheering.

How do you feel about hilly races? Would you knowingly run a hilly course, repeatedly? Any favorite races that you return to every year? Have you ever misread a timing clock at the finish line?

I'm linking this with Kim and Zenaida for the Tuesday Topics Link-Up



By the way...are you following me on social media? 
Let's connect : Facebook Instagram  Pinterest Twitter

31 comments:

  1. Well done, Kim! Running a hilly and windy half is a very different story from an easy and flat half!
    That's so unfair about the clock. That could have easily happened to me, too. But you can be very happy with your time and AG placement.
    I actually like the light-weight hoody! I'd be wearing it all the time, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably get more use out of the hoody than I'm currently expecting. It may come in handy on summer mornings when a tank top needs just a little something extra. Yes, this race is a tough one! The route is one thing, but the weather is always questionable. Usually it's rainy or damp. The sunshine was a nice surprise!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on a great race, Kim! Battling with winds & hills really takes it out of you -- been there, done that. Oh no about the double clocks!

    I'm not sure I'd choose to do a hilly half over and over, but then I almost never repeat halfs anyway. I have run very hilly local races multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, after we finished, we were walking around and Barb made the comment that she felt like she was in a "zombie state." And, I totally agreed! All the effort fighting the the weather and the hills destroyed a few brain cells!

      Delete
  3. Congrats... I think you did great!!! Wind is no joke.

    Yes I have done the same hilly race over and over... a glutton for punishment. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger as they say.

    Usually the clock has gun time and if I don't start at the front (which I never do) it's hard to tell what your fiinish time is... but I don't usually care anymore that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not looked at my watch at all during the race, so I had no idea where my finish time would be. I knew I was running pretty strong, so I'd be in the 2-2:05 range...but the "fast" clock really took me by surprise, LOL

      Delete
  4. This sounds like my Soweto! You run it for the fun of the hills and not for PRs. My heart would have stopped had I seen that sub-2 finish!! Well done on another great (and gruelling) race experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I think the hills are a fun challenge. They're not easy, by any means, but it's very empowering finishing the race knowing what you've accomplished.

      Delete
  5. I'm still the lone one out here as I've NEVER run in an organized race (other than a Colour me 5K...which doesn't really count to me). But, I'm aiming to change that this year. That said, I live in a very hilly town so almost every run or walk involves hills and I hate hills. I hate going up them, and I'm not a big fan of going down either. I must say to my husband at least once a week..."I hate these hills." But there's literally is not any way to avoid hills where I live. You think I'd be okay with that by now, but I still like to complain - ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of hills in my town, too, and I live on one. Even if I try to run a "flat" route, I still have the hill on my street to deal with before I can get anywhere. That said, I don't have any fear of hills on race day. I may not LOVE them, but I don't dread them.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Sounds like you had a great race and enjoyed it. Save that lightweight hoodie for Florida! You'll wear it next winter when you're here. Speaking of which... it's so frickin' flat here! I feel like I was in better shape when I lived in New York and ran hills all the time. A hilly race like you just ran would probably kill me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think running hills frequently does give me a bit of an advantage in races. My body is used to them (and so is my mind, LOL), so I don't let them get the best of me.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your great race! I also ran a hilly race over the weekend in the heat and humidity. I don't love hills, so kill me for preferring what you would consider an 'easy' race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think any race can be as easy or difficult as we choose to make it, LOL

      Delete
  8. Way to push through the wind and challenging course! I love the chalk outlines on the course to help you guys out. Honestly there's been a few races that would have been useful for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chalk was such a fun surprise! They were meant to be funny...the puddles were more like tiny spots of water, etc. with big arrows ;-) Totally made my day!

      Delete
  9. Argh what a tease with the two timers! Whenever I run a big race I always assume that the timers are more than my real time since they started at the beginning of the race and not when I personally cross the start line. And I'm laughing that they changed the course to add in an extra hill. But never the less you had a great race! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two clocks were a surprise! Yeah, this slight change in the course re-routed us to a hill!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like a tough race! Most half-marathons around here are very hilly (the Baltimore Half and Maryland half) but I've done them multiple times. Sometimes its more about convenience and fun then a fast course. But I always complain about the course anyway, lol! Congrats on a strong race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This race is always tough, not just because of the hills but also due to the crazy weather we usually have for it. It is what it is, and that's (honestly) part of the charm of it.

      Delete
  11. Great job, Kim! The two clocks would have confused me too. I do not like hilly courses and roll my eyes and curse whenever I run a race with many hills. The Shamrock Shuffle is one race I love doing every year. Another one is on the 4th of July. I have to look into it for this year.

    Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind a hilly race course if I know it's going to be hilly. I can handle hills, but I don't necessarily like being surprised by them ;-)

      Delete
  12. wind and hills are a tough combo! But you are tougher. Nice job out there! I do love a race with multiple distance options too It is fun to come back to the same race year after year as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of those races that does keep me coming back every year. The wind wasn't a huge issue until the the final mile or so. Going into the stadium was like being in a vortex...

      Delete
  13. Congrats on finishing! Sounds like a fun tradition to continue participating. Wind and hills are always a tough challenge. Very well done Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, this course has us changing directions quite a bit, so there's not an extended time with a headwind...but still. It was pretty evil in that last stretch to the finish line, LOL. Kind of reminiscent of Route 66 ;-)

      Delete
  14. That's a cute jacket! The marathon jacket I just got is actually quite thin. Not lined and not finished on the inside. I guess it's made to be worn over a long sleeve shirt? That's a great race time, especially on a tough course - and dang, I would have been a bit fooled by that race clock too!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This jacket feels like a cotton blend (?), so it's not tech fabric. Actually, it is quite comfortable, but it is very different from the other shirts/jackets we've gotten in the past. That clock totally caught me off guard. The 1:52:xx would be a substantial PR in general for me...and probably will never happen on the Drake course. Still, it was a small buzzkill to realize my actual time, LOL.

      Delete
  15. Well done on a great effort in tough conditions! A shame your new age group has some other fast, tough women in it!! I haven't raced since I went up one myself, not even done a parkrun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just viewing that elevation profile made my jaw drop! Another awesome job running a hard race, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great recap, Kim, and congrats on another great half completed on a tough course! It was fun reading all about your race.

    The Cruisers and I ran a half in western Loudoun years ago that was so incredibly hilly that they refused to ever run it again. Not on was it a hilly course, but some of the steeper roads were gravel. Since then, one road in particular has been paved and it the long steep hill I climb each week on my bike. :-)

    ReplyDelete