Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Let's Get Radical


Lately, I have been wondering....When it comes to running, am I (kind of) a Radical?

Well, there's no doubt, I have run in some very radical weather. There have been many, many training runs and races done in extreme cold and heat (I live in Iowa, don't forget. We don't do temperate temps).

For example...

January 2014 found me decked out in numerous layers, battling the single-digit temps with a near-ZERO wind chill (recap HERE). Ironically (?), I also ran one of my fastest 5K's ever that morning. Even though the course was shortened, it was a fast pace for me in that extreme weather.


Also, let's not forget the Red Flannel Run (February of this year, recap HERE). The temps were very cold, and the wind was crazy frigid...but I was actually dressed too warm, believe it or not! We didn't have as much of a wind-chill factor due to the layout of the course, so by the time I finished those five miles I was a sweaty mess. It wasn't until I stopped running that I could feel the wind. Indeed.


There have also been some extremely hot and sweaty runs that have left my clothing (almost) transparent and my hair so wet that my braids were dripping (not sure if it was sweat that had soaked its way down through the braids or if it was from the humid air).

No doubt, I do have a tendency to go with radical colors when I'm in the running shoes. One of my most-used hashtags is #gobrightorgohome. Seriously, matchy-matchy is pretty boring-boring.

And, then there have been a few radical events....

...like a 6-hour overnight ultra ( recap HERE). It started at midnight, and we ran (almost) non-stop around a 1-mile looped course. There was a bit of radical weather that night as well (lightning, thunder, rain for a couple hours, extreme heat and humidity...just to name a few).

...and, wouldn't you know it? Myself and some of the gals returned a year later and ran the same race a month ago...except this year, we started at 11:00PM and ran the 12-hour race instead (recap HERE ). Don't you hate it when that happens?

...and let's not forget about my little hobby on the side, stair climbing. I have done five Fight for Air Climbs (four in Des Moines and one Chicago). The Des Moines venues have varied with the total flights (utilizing different buildings on occasion), but the Chicago venue (recap HERE ) was majorly radical....we climbed the four Presidential Towers, for a total of 180 flights (in less than 37 minutes!)


Admittedly, I run at radical times of day. That's right, quite often, I'm outside moving and shaking without the benefit of daylight. I appreciate the calmness of the evening...it's very still and tranquil on a winter evening....


and there's nothing better than leaving my house in the dark and returning as the sun is rising.

Last of all, I should mention my radical monthly challenges. Even though I go through cycles of training (followed by rest/recovery periods), I usually have an ongoing monthly challenge of sorts happening as well. These have involved planking (my favorite!), squats, push-ups and stair-climbing. They may be based on monthly, weekly, or daily goals, and there's usually a little bit of friendly competition among some of my fellow online friends to keep it interesting.




So, what do you think? Would you consider me a radical runner? Fitness enthusiast? Or just a gal trying to enjoy the journey?


I'm linking up with Deb (from Deb Runs) for the Wednesday Word linkup ...and guess what? Today's word is Radical. (I bet you didn't see that coming) Head over and check out what everyone is saying about being radical today.







20 comments:

  1. You've got some radical things going on for sure! Love the radical colors. Not so much the radical weather1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iowa's weather is always radical...one extreme or the other.

      Delete
  2. One woman's radical is another woman's normal. :) I should have my husband read this to point out how "normal" I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha.....all of this crazy stuff is what keeps me young ;-)

      Delete
  3. I think you're quite normal...but then maybe that makes me a radical too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the radical colors! Live life in color! I think runners are probably seen as pretty radical by those in the non-running community. I'm like Wendy -- I just think we are all quite normal. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't think twice when one of my runner pals casually mentions an "easy" 10-miler...

      Delete
  5. I would love to be running as the sun is rising but I never get up that early to run..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try! The funny thing is that sometimes (depending on how early or how far I ran), I I forget that I've done it ;-0

      Delete
  6. You don't sound radical to me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would just like to say- for the record that I dig your colors! Always so bright and cheery! I totally need to pick your brain on your ultra training too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ;-) Well, I've done two ultras...I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but it's a fun topic to discuss ;-)

      Delete
  8. Radical? Hmmmm :) maybe super enthusiastic! I guess if you start running ultras every weekend you might fall into the radical category! I love your style and I love your enthusiasm! And if you inspire others with running, colours or challenges then, radical or not, keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I do not see myself running ultras every weekend LOL ;-)

      Delete
  9. I think you are amazingly radical. LOL!!!! In the best of ways of course!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are definitely radical, dude (or should I say dudette)!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete