Wednesday, October 5, 2016

#badazz quotient: Fulfilled


Sometimes, one tough run is just enough to fulfill that #badazz quotient.

Case in point, yesterday's "power surge" run (that's my technical name for it). I was assigned an easy warm-up mile, then 50 minutes (approximately 5 miles for this gal) of power surges. I would compare these to short little bursts of mojo, as if you're just needing to pass someone in a race...not necessarily sprinting ahead of them, but merely just needing to get around them on a crowded course. Similar to a Fartlek drill, but with not as much "sprinting" (also, the surges are not done in an equal 1:1 pattern as with Fartleks).

Let me set the scene...

I have been doing the majority of my training runs in the wee (dark) early hours (the past couple months or so). When I woke up yesterday (15 minutes before the alarm, none the less), I had a revelation. I knew the weather was going to be nice, and I was anticipating a slow day at the  office...why not wait to do this run in the daylight hours?  After all, I've been getting a little bored with all of my "light and bright high-viz" clothing (and craving some darker colors...as well as the feel of my sunglasses back on my face).

I ask you, "why not?"

So, there you have it. A perfect plan (on paper). My work day didn't go quite as expected,but it still was manageable. I finished up by 4:30, and had arranged to meet my friend, Barb, around 5:00.

A recent pic with Barb
Barb and I do a lot of our long runs together (as well as a lot of our races). She's gotten to be a lot faster than myself. She is close in height, but has shorter legs (I have l-o-n-g legs), so when we run, her foot-strikes sound even faster than she's already going because she takes more frequent steps than I do. Occasionally, I find myself running faster than I realize because her "fast" foot-strikes (subconsciously) propel me to match her cadence.

We met up at our usual spot (about a mile from each of our houses). She's not following the training plan I'm using (we're both training for the Route 66 Marathon, in November), she but was interested in running with me anyways. One of the routes in my repertoire is a 2-mile loop, and my initial plan was to run that loop twice (after the warm-up), then run back home. We started out, and a short while later did our first "surge." Mind you, I could tell almost immediately we were going too fast (for our pace and for the surges).

I should also mention, that the temps were warm (high 70's), and we had a decent breeze coming out of the southeast. So, in other words, we felt this breeze every time we were headed south and east (yes, we fought the breeze for at least half of our running time).

We continued on this loop, and decided to run two extra blocks before turning to make our way around the back side (and back to where we'd started). I didn't think about the additional two blocks we'd tacked on (which actually netted us four blocks of extra distance, since we also had to run them on the return trip). We finished the first loop, and I was already feeling pretty beat up and weary.

As we began the second loop, I admitted that I was running the surges too fast, and also that I would need to slow down my overall pace as well. The second loop went better, but still was a tough challenge, both physically and mentally.  Thankfully, I never felt my energy depleting...but I could tell my legs were getting fatigued. The surges did get easier, though, probably because we had scaled back on the "speed" of them.

By the time we were finishing the second loop (putting my total distance somewhere near 5 or 5-1/2 miles), I suggested we cut the third loop short (forgetting that we'd pretty much done the "required" distance already #oops). We ran about half of the third loop, then headed back to our meet-up spot. We both agreed this run had been both tough, but also fulfilling. My legs were tired, and I could tell my hip flexors were not happy. I did some easy run/walk intervals for the final leg back to my house.

Do I look as exhausted (or sweaty) as I felt?
I estimated that I'd gone maybe 6-1/2 miles, which was a little further than I'd planned. My GPS watch is currently out of commission and Barb's watch was not cooperating for us either, so we didn't have an exact mileage count.. I decided to hop in the car and do a quick drive and map the route. Imagine my surprise to see it was actually 7.2 miles from my driveway (and back). ((gulp)) ((sorry, Coach Suz))

Needless to say, I spent the better part of my evening foam rolling and stretching. My body felt like it had been through a major workout. My total "running" time (from when I left my house and then returned) was about 75 minutes....and that included the run/walk intervals in the last 3/4 mile or so. But, I also felt like a #badazz extraordinaire for having done such a crazy thing in the heat and wind.

So, although I accidentally ventured off my training plan, I did gain a little more confidence in my abilities. I have said it before... "I can do tough things." This training run certainly proved that to me. I am also realizing, more and more, that I'm much more disciplined about doing tough runs when I have a coach telling me to do them (thanks, Coach Suz).

Have you ever underestimated a route for distance? Have you done tough workouts that left you wiped out.... and still felt like a #badazz when you finished? How do you feel about speed work?

I'm linking up with Deb for the Wednesday Word link-up...today's word is Fulfill. I'm also linking with Susie and Rachel and Debbie and Lora for the Running Coaches Corner link-up. Head over and check all these blogs, as well as the many other linked blogs!












32 comments:

  1. First off, I think that this run was good for you mentally, a learning experience, and yes, you will take it easy today and during your other runs the rest of this week. But good job on working through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an awesome job! I do love runs where you feel like a badass and realize that you can get through those tough workouts that sound scary on paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually this run looked easy on paper (well, somewhat easy)...I just ran it too fast

      Delete
  3. I have not had a run that made me feel that good in a long time! Although you deviated from your plan a little sounds like it was a good one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a tough mental game to keep with it. I ran it too fast, hands-down. If I had tun it on my own, I might not have gone the entire distance...but I probably also wouldn't have run it as fast, either LOL

      Delete
  4. As much as I love running, those kinds of runs are rare. Nice job physically and mentally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I doubt my ability, and wimp out. This time, I stuck with it and finished.

      Delete
  5. I got lost during a run once and ended up doing 2 extra miles. Better for it to happen during a shorter run though than after a 20 miler! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha...unfortunately, we were not lost, just absent-minded ;-)

      Delete
  6. I have definitely underestimated my distance at times, sometimes it's good and sometimes not so much. Good job on your run despite the extra mileage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know how I spaced off the extra mileage...especially on a route that I run pretty often

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you were enjoying your time with your friend, and that's not a bad thing!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were busy chatting (during the recovery periods)....so it was fun, but holy crap...we went too fast!

      Delete
  8. Those badass runs can be fulfilling just because you got through them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly....I'm pretty skilled at wimping out when it gets tough. This run proved that I can still stay in the game, and actually finish well ;-)

      Delete
  9. What a great confidence boost! Its always great to feel on top of the world after completing a hard workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good confidence boost! I still have that disappointing 13.1 from a month ago haunting me...this run came at a good time ;-)

      Delete
  10. I don't run in the dark so do my runs after work until they turn the clocks back. Then I may venture out in the am.

    It is more run to run with a friend. We usually just chat and it's an easy run. My 5k races are my busts of speed. And I feel badass when I pass a young chick or a man. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've had that same badass feeling passing a young chick or a dude, too!

      Delete
  11. Ah this run sounds like it was both challenging AND fun! Aren't running buddies the best?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, these short legs just don't move very fast. But I can emphasize with you -- when I run with Darlene, even though it's super slow for her, it's usually pretty darn fast for me . . . sometimes too fast.

    And I can just hear how quick her foot turnover is. I try to think about that when I'm running, but my feet just don't wanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, sometimes long legs don't wanna move either ;-) #awkward

      Delete
  13. wow great job!!!! Running almost all of my long runs in the rain last year left me feeling pretty bad#%$ too! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that...and you were rewarded with a nice rainy marathon ;-) I have been SOOOO lucky thus far, I have had great weather for most of my training runs this cycle (hope I'm not jinxing anything by saying that!)

      Delete
  14. I love feeling like a bada$$ when I finish a tough workout or run. LOVE the sense of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the "i can do tough things"mantra - i'll hvae to remember that for when I'm hurting at NYC Marathon!

    ReplyDelete